Aston Villa appoint Alex McLeish as new manager

Fenham Mag

MsiDouglas:

MacDonald as head coach, Houllier as director of football at avfc? Houllier is excellent but has that set-up EVER worked?

Aye pretty much every team abroad has had success that way.

Chelsea n all use this system.

MsiDouglas:

MacDonald as head coach, Houllier as director of football at avfc? Houllier is excellent but has that set-up EVER worked?

It works as long coach and DOF are closely working together.

When we had Keegan and Wise here, it was just a complete joke.  Wise as DOF?!!

MsiDouglas:

Aye, Mourinho worked under a DOF at Chelsea, didn't he?

Donadoni interested.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6355015,00.html

This has the feeling of the longest running managerial saga ever.

Any preference who do you want in, Brummie?

To be entirely honest, I find it hard to choose who I'd prefer, it changes every day as new names are mentioned. The betting market on this has been insane.

However, I know who I don't want: Curbishley, Southgate, Bradley, McDonald.

There are some I'd accept: Svennis, Houllier.

Then there are loads more who sound decent, but I don't know if I want them because they're names, or because they're sensible choices.

Either way, it really is an amazing period.

There's someone on VillaTalk who works at Bham airport and has access to plane movements and passenger lists, and has been listing Lerner's plane's movements the last two weeks. He's been all over Europe by all accounts. Was, intriguingly, in Paris yesterday. Milan two weeks ago.

The carbon footprint of this whole process must be immense.

Donadoni interested.

To be entirely honest, I find it hard to choose who I'd prefer, it changes every day as new names are mentioned. The betting market on this has been insane.

Then there are loads more who sound decent, but I don't know if I want them because they're names, or because they're sensible choices.

Either way, it really is an amazing period.

There's someone on VillaTalk who works at Bham airport and has access to plane movements and passenger lists, and has been listing Lerner's plane's movements the last two weeks. He's been all over Europe by all accounts. Was, intriguingly, in Paris yesterday. Milan two weeks ago.

The carbon footprint of this whole process must be immense.

Interesting to see you wouldn't mind Sven. 

I remember when he was linked with the Newcastle job and I thought noooooooooooooo!

Colin Murray hinted Phil Brown could be up for the job on MOTD2.  I wouldn't want to wish that on anyone.

Don't really get why anyone would rate Sven.

Managers like Bruce and Curbishley who never do anything except tread water are rated as decent Premier League managers, so why wouldn't Sven who has had success at pretty much every club be rated unless you're a thick ingerland supporting twat like Ian Wright who thinks English should win the World Cup and still hold a grudge.

MsiDouglas:

It was preety much like Keegan and Wise from memory.  Jose had been there for a year, won the Premiership.  Arnesen comes in, as (supposedly) a glorified head scout, starts to exert influence after a while and Mourinho eventually tell's them where to shove it.

Example A : The collosal fuck up that was Shevchenko... all that was mostly Cousin Roman.

Same thing happened at Tottenham with Jol.  Levy finally learnt his lesson, and now they are in the Champions League.

MsiDouglas:

It was preety much like Keegan and Wise from memory.  Jose had been there for a year, won the Premiership.  Arnesen comes in, as (supposedly) a glorified head scout, starts to exert influence after a while and Mourinho eventually tell's them where to shove it.

Example A : The collosal fuck up that was Shevchenko... all that was mostly Cousin Roman.

Same thing happened at Tottenham with Jol.  Levy finally learnt his lesson, and now they are in the Champions League.

Arnesen is still there though and Chelsea are still winning trophies.

Donadoni interested.

Interesting to see you wouldn't mind Sven. 

I remember when he was linked with the Newcastle job and I thought noooooooooooooo!

I thought the same (and still do), but the reason I think he might also be a decent move for Villa is all about context. Given who their other choices are at this time, and given who their choices might be at the end of the season, bringing Sven in doesn't seem such a bad move - he's got some qualities as a manager and he's a total mercenary. I'm sure it can be arranged so that he won't have a huge long contract and he isn't the kind of guy to try and set up a 'system' at the club and seriously demand three seasons before success comes. Basically, he can be an impact signing. Willing to turn up and do a decent job but not too hard to fuck off once you want a better long term appointment.

I have similar (though a bit less hostile) feelings about Houllier.

MsiDouglas:

Arnesen is still there though and Chelsea are still winning trophies.

With a team preety much much built around Jose's players or players that pre-dated them both.

Houllier hasn't been in football management for 3 years! How could he possibly do a job?!!?1

Thats what they said about Kinnear and he proved all the doubters wrong.

Proved wrong? how exactly? suffering a heart attack maybe...

Houllier seems to be a good appointment, but Villa as a club might be on a low.

All things considered they were overachiving a bit under O'Neill. Will be interesting to see if they will stick with Houllier if they hit a bad run, because they will sooner or later. He will be alright for them if they do.

Should stick a IMO on that entire post.

Houllier hasn't been in football management for 3 years! How could he possibly do a job?!!?1

Think that's what they call a joke.

Heart attacks are no laughing matter.

Heart attacks are no laughing matter.

Depends on the person.