Leon Best

Leazes1986

Stu.

First of all was still talking about the finishes. When you as a striker get the ball in those positions you dont think about whats happening or other are saying. Its all on pure instinct.

And then secondly

Meant WRONG:pow:

• 3 years later...

That hat trick man, I remember being fucking nervous that day (for some reason?) and I remember just being absolutely chuffed at the way he bagged a hat trick and just sort of rose to the occasion, owned the night.  Brilliant.

That hat trick man, I remember being f***ing nervous that day (for some reason?) and I remember just being absolutely chuffed at the way he bagged a hat trick and just sort of rose to the occasion, owned the night.  Brilliant.

I'm sure Carroll was meant to be playing but then got ruled out again with injury and I couldn't believe Best was starting. Ended up winning 5-0 and me giving my best mate , who's a West Ham fan, high fives all the way through the next day :lol:

That hat trick man, I remember being f***ing nervous that day (for some reason?) and I remember just being absolutely chuffed at the way he bagged a hat trick and just sort of rose to the occasion, owned the night.  Brilliant.

I'm sure Carroll was meant to be playing but then got ruled out again with injury and I couldn't believe Best was starting. Ended up winning 5-0 and me giving my best mate , who's a West Ham fan, high fives all the way through the next day :lol:

Yes, that was it right? AC hurt and we were all thinking well fuck, Leon can't score to save his life and have to rely on Peter Lovenkrands? Fuck! His first goal was ridiculous, took that ball so well at the back past.

He had some oddly brilliant technique at times like.

Remmeber that back heel or turn thing he did to create space for his goal versus Fulham the 5th season? :lol:

It was ridiculous man :lol:

Sure he pulled off one similar against West Ham too.

He reminded me of a friend of mine who was not a footballer by any stretch, was athletic and played on my intramural team here in college (its like a competitive small sided league at uni) and he'd do turns and step overs out of no where, this is a kid who's played the sport maybe from age 5-10 and then not again until h 19-22 years old? Hilarious. Would pull off ankle breaking moves and I'd just sit there like...the fuck man?

My mate who's a West Ham fan sent a mass text before the game with just "hahahahahah Leon Best". Fuck knows why, he was basically begging for the outcome.

Guest Howaythetoon

A competent PL level striker, but lacked the fitness/injury luck needed to succeed. Not a bad player for us and a good foil for BA at the time.

My mate who's a West Ham fan sent a mass text before the game with just "hahahahahah Leon Best". f*** knows why, he was basically begging for the outcome.

CH had some brilliant batterings man, came out of no where but when we smelled blood in those teams we really went for it.  Usually involved Nolan and Barton getting radge and SJP (via the TV) was always rocking, i mean, in those matches we turned people over, you felt the crowd just buzzing. Shame we never saw Hatem much in those sides as I think a CH side + Hatem + AC + Nolan + Barton would have been fun for a season.

I mean hell, up until I moved 2 years ago, I had the NUFC 5 - 1 Sunderland match saved on my DVR for years. Would literally just watch it to make me feel better.

Mind, i do that now for some of our more fun victories the last few years.

Not to derail or side track, Leon Best is Mint.

West Ham were completely s*** mind. That team we had first season back up were more than capable of dishing out (and taking) batterings. Not that I'm screaming for a team full of english players now but I do think the combo of Barton + Nolan helped the team pull through quite a bit. Seemed to galvanise the other players, aswell as being Pardew's closest allies that season really.

Best turned out to be a hell of a signing. Whilst he took a while to get going, his presence completely galvanised Carroll when we were in the Championship; then he played an important role in the consolidation of our Premier League status. Scored some really good and important goals, too.

Some players come and go having never been spectacular, but I can never say a bad word about them. Was gutted for him when he got that injury at Blackburn. He and Rhodes could've been an amazing partnership in that division.

We had a really solid attacking squad in Ba, Cisse, Best, Lovenkrands and Shola. Different qualities, different mentalities, good balance and acceptance of squad roles. It's been completely unbalanced/under-experienced/disjointed/temporary ever since.