Leon Best

Leazes1986

We all know he's not the best (pardon the pun) striker around, but to say that you'd take any striker in the league ahead of him, or you'd do a better job than him yourself, is utter s****. He's got 5 in 7 ffs, he's obviously doing a half decent job. I'm not saying we shouldn't try and sign some better strikers in the summer, because we should, but some of the posts in here are beyond belief.

:thup:

Exactly, we all know Best hasn't been the greatest player in the world, but he's getting some goals for us and is still young enough to adapt to the Premier League.

Guest EastEndGeordie

We all know he's not the best (pardon the pun) striker around, but to say that you'd take any striker in the league ahead of him, or you'd do a better job than him yourself, is utter s****. He's got 5 in 7 ffs, he's obviously doing a half decent job. I'm not saying we shouldn't try and sign some better strikers in the summer, because we should, but some of the posts in here are beyond belief.

Totally agreed, I mean then man has five goals in seven matches, what more could we ask for, sure some of his areas of play are weak (poisitioning and headers) but he scores goals and thats what we need, not somebody who looks good, gets into the right positions yet doesn't score when they get the ball in front of the goal.

Totally agreed, I mean then man has five goals in seven matches, what more could we ask for, sure some of his areas of play are weak (poisitioning and headers) but he scores goals and thats what we need, not somebody who looks good, gets into the right positions yet doesn't score when they get the ball in front of the goal.

He's been good in the air of late.  Still offside way too much though

Played well today I thought - still needs to improve his finishing - but is not as bad as I initially thought he was.

The equivalent of a Kevin Gallacher or even Ameobi for us. Can do a job, some nice touches at times.

If only he was more clinical...

Thought he played well yesterday, but I don't think I can remember seeing a player be caught offside as much as he has in the recent months

That's because he lacks concentration, which he and Pardew now is working on. But we now see that Best got some class. He had some very nice touches, and he's getting better and better mano vs mano. He wins everything in the air. Quite unlucky that he didn't score yesterday. If he eliminates the offsides, he will get more clear cut chances and more goals..I think we have a diamond in our hands..:)

Another decent shot from distance with his left, are we absolutely certain he is right footed? :lol:

I'm positive he's left footed mind.

No he isn't. Pay attention to how he ushers the ball. Players use their preferred foot when the do that. As yesterday when he he dribbled past a player with his right foot, but finished with his left. The ball just skipped the post.

Guest The_Miz

Does anyone else think he is a decent little player? I reckon he has a good tecnique, especially when he brings the ball down with his chest and he seems to work pretty hard.

Perhaps limited and not a long-term solution, but a worthy squad player, especially considering the circumstances.

Does anyone else think he is a decent little player? I reckon he has a good tecnique, especially when he brings the ball down with his chest and he seems to work pretty hard.

Perhaps limited and not a long-term solution, but a worthy squad player, especially considering the circumstances.

I've always thought he's a good player. He got everything that he needs as an attacker: decent speed and technique, finishes with both feet and is class in the air. It's his mentality that has stopped him from realizing his potential, I think.

I like him. I think he's an honest player who gives everything he's got. I don't see how people can say he's the worst striker they've ever seen! No one remembers Luque, no? One of the laziest players to ever wear our shirt. Tbh, I remember seeing Ameobi putting in much worse performances in the past than Best.

No, he's not the greatest but he's what we've got and, in fairness to the bloke, he's scored five goals since January for us. I much prefer him to Lovenkrands who I think is much less clinical and at times is merely a passenger for the side. If we play the ball on the deck and get balls into good areas then Leon has proven he'll tuck them away. Personally I think he'd look better alongside Ranger, who's raw pace and energy/movement would compliment him.

He gives everything for the shirt, just give him a break.

Guest The_Miz

I've always thought he's a good player. He got everything that he needs as an attacker: decent speed and technique, finishes with both feet and is class in the air. It's his mentality that has stopped him from realizing his potential, I think.

Aye, if he was a bit more aggressive his game would improve alot.