Leon Best

Leazes1986

I actually speak of experience. The only strength I have on the pitch is that I'm two footed. In other words, to avoid being closed down, I shoot with the foot the ball lands on..

:kinnear:

:dowie:

I'm genuinely mystified that you're using your own personal experience on a football pitch to make a judgement or comment about a professional football player.

Unless, of course, you are a professional football player.

I actually speak of experience. The only strength I have on the pitch is that I'm two footed. In other words, to avoid being closed down, I shoot with the foot the ball lands on..

I'm genuinely mystified that you're using your own personal experience on a football pitch to make a judgement or comment about a professional football player.

Let me ask why?

Maybe he's played at a competitive level?

I can draw from personal experience that I would've score all the goals Best scored against WHAM no doubt. Easy as shit goals, did well to get into those positions but the finishing from there on are way to easy man.

Let me ask why?

I can draw from personal experience that I would've score all the goals Best scored against WHAM no doubt. Easy as shit goals, did well to get into those positions but the finishing from there on are way to easy man.

Jesus. You can't compare scoring at a "competitive level" to scoring in the Premiership, where there are added mental factors to take into account such as fan pressure and the like; as well as obvious factors such as top-class goalkeepers and defenders. If it were that easy there'd be no difference between a 20-goal-a-season league two player and a 20-goal-a-season premiership player.

someone ask Leon Best which hand he wanks with, then we'll know if he's a lefty or not.

Liking the idea of asking him - but not that question :-) Had a friend back in prep-school who was lefthanded but right footed.

Isn't it the same with Harper. Throws with his left end kicks with his right?

It got nothing to do with me being a professional football player at all, which I'm not.  It has about the advantage of being able to finish with both feet. Consequently, you don't have to "think" , you just finish with the foot that's natural for that situation. " Is the ball on my left side, fine I'll finish with my left, no need switching over. "

Steggy, being two footed, you could probably confirm this too?

Guest Stephen927

Let me ask why?

What league do you play in?

:lol: I do find the idea of amateur-level footballer (if that) comparing themselves to professional athletes amusing :lol: it's a wonder why we're not all on the books of our nearest semi-pro clubs :lol:

It's because there are parallels to be found.  Everyone acknowledges that the levels of skill etc. are completely different though.

:lol: I do find the idea of amateur-level footballer (if that) comparing themselves to professional athletes amusing :lol: it's a wonder why we're not all on the books of our nearest semi-pro clubs :lol:

It's because there are parallels to be found.  Everyone acknowledges that the levels of skill etc. are completely different though.

Apparently not...

I can draw from personal experience that I would've score all the goals Best scored against WHAM no doubt.

Best is doing really well in the grand scheme of things. But that's three games in a small cluster of fixtures where we've not been clinical enough in the final third and dropped points because of it. In some ways, it was a very different game to Sunderland and Spurs... but fundamentally it was an absolute carbon copy. We should have been away and done, the three points wrapped up, by half-time. Best had a couple of good chances where he really should have done better.

However, it's unfair to put it all on him - even though he needs to improve infront of goal. He did all that he could in the air yesterday, and it was driving me mad that NO ONE was within ten yards of him whenever the ball was in the air. He was winning every fucking aerial ball and Lovenkrands or Nolan were nowhere to be seen.

If anything, he's proved himself worthy of a place in the squad next season - there's no doubt about it. I was prepared to sling him in January.

Exactly, just because I'm not professional doesn't mean that I cannot pass or shoot with the wrong foot.  "Oh my god, I'm only an amateur, thus I must not shoot with my lefty." I actually trained that foot when I was young, didn't have any professional career in my mind when I did so either..

Let me ask why?

I can draw from personal experience that I would've score all the goals Best scored against WHAM no doubt. Easy as s*** goals, did well to get into those positions but the finishing from there on are way to easy man.

Jesus. You can't compare scoring at a "competitive level" to scoring in the Premiership, where there are added mental factors to take into account such as fan pressure and the like; as well as obvious factors such as top-class goalkeepers and defenders. If it were that easy there'd be no difference between a 20-goal-a-season league two player and a 20-goal-a-season premiership player.

Apparently not...

I can draw from personal experience that I would've score all the goals Best scored against WHAM no doubt.

Look what I said was finishing. I didn't say getting into those positions and so on, I was merely talking about finishing. You guys seem to give him praise for finishing with his left when in reality it's not that hard. I'm saying that people give him to much credit for scoring a goal (1st one against WHam) which Green should have left his line, the 2nd goal where he just shot and it got in and the 3rd which he was alone with the goalkeeper.

I am not comparing my abilitie to Best or any other professional footballer for that matter, I was just debating the praise he gets for his finishing.

You said you could have scored them. :lol: I seriously doubt you would have stuck those away as calmly under that kind of pressure with an international-class keeper in front of you.

Course he would, he's Brazilian innit.

Guest Howaythetoon

He's not too bad a player but isn't a goal threat. He is doing well at the moment though and deserves some credit. It can't be easy for a Championship forward essentially to play as a Premiership one at Newcastle of all clubs, especially with the recent departure of Carroll.

He's not too bad a player but isn't a goal threat. He is doing well at the moment though and deserves some credit. It can't be easy for a Championship forward essentially to play as a Premiership one at Newcastle of all clubs, especially with the recent departure of Carroll.

He's knocking in goals and getting quite a few half decent chances per game yet isn't a goal threat? Don't understand that logic like.

Isn't a goal threat. Apart from when he scores. Or goes bloody close (as he did yesterday).

Give. Head. A. Shake.

Isn't a goal threat. Apart from when he scores. Or goes bloody close (as he did yesterday).

Give. Head. A. Shake.

He's going to carry the stigma of being Leon Best for a while - at the very least until he scores goals consistently over the course of a season. If he was a new January-signing called León Bestinho and had performed the way he has since he's had a run in the team there'd be a wankfest over him.

You said you could have scored them. :lol: I seriously doubt you would have stuck those away as calmly under that kind of pressure with an international-class keeper in front of you.

International keeper :pow: Not class.

I will never be or become or have been as good of a player but giving him credit for those goals because of circumstances of pressure? Come on, there was no pressure on those goals ffs. Give it a break man.

Some embarrassing s*** in here yet again then, one game without a goal. Deary me.

He was very good yesterday, actually his best footballing match for us. Didn't score but that doesn't count for everything.

Give. Head. A. Shake.

He's going to carry the stigma of being Leon Best for a while - at the very least until he scores goals consistently over the course of a season. If he was a new January-signing called León Bestinho and had performed the way he has since he's had a run in the team there'd be a wankfest over him.

I agree with you that had he been a new player than there'd be a wankfest over him. But he doesn't deserve a wankfest just yet.

He's scoring and that's the important thing, and he's getting the credit he deserves for scoring, but that doesn't make him a world class player.

I was the first one to criticize from the beginning saying he was shit, which I think he was despite scoring goals. But yesterday he won plenty of headers and was involved in a lotand was showing promise. Hopefully he'll keep improving. And I'd be more than over the moon if I was right.

International keeper :pow: Not class.

I will never be or become or have been as good of a player but giving him credit for those goals because of circumstances of pressure? Come on, there was no pressure on those goals ffs. Give it a break man.

Really? No pressure to justify his place in the team under increasing pressure from the fans/media who had already written him off as a waste of space before he'd been given a run in the team? No pressure to help the club win a crucial season-defining fixture?

No pressure to break his duck in front of the home fans?

I was the first one to criticize from the beginning saying he was shit, which I think he was despite scoring goals. But yesterday he won plenty of headers and was involved in a lotand was showing promise. Hopefully he'll keep improving. And I'd be more than over the moon if I was right.

I sincerely hope something was lost in translation.

He's knocking in goals and getting quite a few half decent chances per game yet isn't a goal threat? Don't understand that logic like.

|He scores with his left, right and head. He'd have to be pretty clueless not to be a goal threat with those attributes.