Manchester Utd 3 - 0 Newcastle Utd - 16/08/10 - post match reaction from page 36

Dave

Newcastle manager Chris Hughton said he was relieved his side did not have to play at Old Trafford every week.

"There will be games when we will have a larger share of possession," said the former Tottenham assistant.

"In those games, we will have to get to right areas and be as clinical as we can.

"When you come to Old Trafford you have to contain as much as possible, and obviously attack when the opportunities appear.

"In the first 30 minutes we able to do that but then unfortunately we gave the ball away. They had to much quality not to capitalise on those errors."

Honest I guess but surely we need a more positive attitude from outr manager ?(going into the game)

I remember after first game of the 2000-1 season when we lost 2-0 in similar fashion, Sir Bobby saying in the post-match interview, "We knew before kick-off that our season started midweek against Derby".

Neesy. Eventually you will understand. Scholes is a class above most of the midfielders in the Premier League. He will still look good against the top teams, even if he does have a lack of pace, his awareness, quality on the ball and vision will see him through. Fletcher and co will do the running for him.

Steve Taylor is a central defender not a RB despite everyone getting carried away by a few decent runs down the flank.

I've always preferred Stave Taylor in the centre but at this time he's the best we've got for right-back.

I'd like to see him week in week out at RB before I made that call. A couple of flashy runs as a stand-in doesn't qualify him for the accolades in my view.

Which accolades? :lol:

Folk just think he's better than Raylor, Perch and Simpson.

based on a couple of barnstorming runs as a fill-in?

Well, no. He's a better defender than the lot, and better going forward.

Newcastle manager Chris Hughton said he was relieved his side did not have to play at Old Trafford every week.

"There will be games when we will have a larger share of possession," said the former Tottenham assistant.

"In those games, we will have to get to right areas and be as clinical as we can.

"When you come to Old Trafford you have to contain as much as possible, and obviously attack when the opportunities appear.

"In the first 30 minutes we able to do that but then unfortunately we gave the ball away. They had to much quality not to capitalise on those errors."

Kinda disappointed that was the gameplan tbh.

Guest neesy111

Neesy. Eventually you will understand. Scholes is a class above most of the midfielders in the Premier League. He will still look good against the top teams, even if he does have a lack of pace, his awareness, quality on the ball and vision will see him through. Fletcher and co will do the running for him.

he went missing in a number of games last season, why do you think man united fans are crying out for another CM!

scholes is a class act, but he always plays well against NUFC, so tonight doesn't make a difference for me!

Also said this tbf (from another site):

“We’ve got to look at some areas where we can take credit from this game,” he said.

“I thought big Andy Carroll up front was a real handful.

“But we didn’t keep possession well enough to threaten them as much as we wanted to.”

Guest neesy111

Also said this tbf (from another site):

“We’ve got to look at some areas where we can take credit from this game,” he said.

“I thought big Andy Carroll up front was a real handful.

“But we didn’t keep possession well enough to threaten them as much as we wanted to.”

pretty much spot on, though I hope he's noted that perch is a complete liability at RB

Guest michaelfoster

I thought Harper was disappointing tonight

1st he was too close to his near post and left a huge gap to slot into the back post & instead of diving to his right he tried to use his feet and ended up falling backwards.

2nd goal he didnt make much of an effort to try and save then decided to dive after the ball was in the net, super slow mo style.

3rd goal was just a good strike from Giggs.

Not the worst performance of the day but something to think about

Steve Taylor is a central defender not a RB despite everyone getting carried away by a few decent runs down the flank.

I've always preferred Stave Taylor in the centre but at this time he's the best we've got for right-back.

I'd like to see him week in week out at RB before I made that call. A couple of flashy runs as a stand-in doesn't qualify him for the accolades in my view.

Better going forward I will give you but a better defender at RB I think is a just an easy answer. 

Harper - 7 - Most of what went in wasn't his fault at all.  Could have done better for first.  Saved a couple of decent opportunities for them.

Perch - 3 - Exposed.  Utterly.  He looked nervous and out of his depth in the first half.  Only less so in the second because they went after Enrique more.

Coloccini - 6 - Shaky.  Decent in actual defending largely but looked nervous also, as a matter of fact.

Williamson - 7 - Good in the air.  Probably our most solid defender tonight.

Enrique - 6 - He's better than that.  Hopefully just rusty.

Smith - 7 - Not understanding all the hate.  Did his job, and much better than Butt would have.

Barton - 6 - Potential is there.  Hopefully it'll continue to grow. 

Nolan - 3 - Anonymous.  Did he do a single thing apart from slow everything down?  Only noteworthy incident was when his balls got crushed in the wall for their free kick.  TBF, he's hard to miss.

Jonas - 5 - Poor.  A shadow of how he played at OT two seasons ago.  Hopefully he sharpens up soon.

Routledge - 6.5 - Looked like he was determined, and level-headed, but lacked that grit in the final third.  Maybe because there was rarely anyone ahead of him.

Carroll - 7 - Led the line well, never gave up on anything and did cause them a few problems.  Should have taken that header tho.

Ameobi - 6 - Not much time on the pitch.

Xisco - 6 - Ditto, but decent in the few touches he did have.  Should have tracked back to help Enrique more, though, from that position.

LOL... Carroll should got 20 if smith got 7..

Aye, just seen the goals again. Poor positioning from Harper on the first.

Like it or not that third goal won't be a one-off this season. We'll be beaten with a lot of precise strikes from outside the area due to his complete lack of agility.

The ridiculous nonsense on this forum is astounding. You've even managed to put to shame some of the stupid fuckers sat around me at the game tonight.

A few months back, Man U beat Milan 4-0 at Old Trafford, destroyed them in 3rd gear. This is no litmus test whatsoever for individuals players or the the team as a whole.

Out of interest, what was your opinion on Colocinni tonight?

Very poor imo.. hes so fkn weak, (Fletcher's goal)

Better going forward I will give you but a better defender at RB I think is a just an easy answer. 

No, it's the right answer.

Guest BooBoo

I thought the centre backs were okay. The midfield though offered little protection and the pressure on the back four was unbearable.

Im normally rough on Colo, but i thought he had a decent game overall.

Stopped rooney when he was near through on goal.

Thought both, Coloccini and Williamson did quite well.

We've seen much worse at Old Trafford with the likes of Boumsong.

I thought Harper was disappointing tonight

1st he was too close to his near post and left a huge gap to slot into the back post & instead of diving to his right he tried to use his feet and ended up falling backwards.

2nd goal he didnt make much of an effort to try and save then decided to dive after the ball was in the net, super slow mo style.

3rd goal was just a good strike from Giggs.

Not the worst performance of the day but something to think about

Wasn't much he could have done for the first. He had to reposition himself after Enrique kicked the ball forward.

He should have saved the third though. It was a good strike but other keepers would have been able to keep it out.

No, it's the right answer.

No it's a dumb answer.

Guest prestonj1989

The ridiculous nonsense on this forum is astounding. You've even managed to put to shame some of the stupid fuckers sat around me at the game tonight.

A few months back, Man U beat Milan 4-0 at Old Trafford, destroyed them in 3rd gear. This is no litmus test whatsoever for individuals players or the the team as a whole.

Out of interest, what was your opinion on Colocinni tonight?

Very poor imo.. hes so fkn weak, (Fletcher's goal)

That is not weak man. The ball luckily fell to Fletcher - what was he suppossed to do pull him down. He was always going to be standing that side (goalside) of Fletcher due to the nature of the play and from that sort of range Colo had no chance. It was either pull him down and give away a pen or the goal. The build up was to blame for that goal.

Thought Jonas was impressive tbh when i watched. Didnt catch much of the first goal, but looked to me like he had stepped up a level. Went past his marker several times, was dribbling across the width of the pitch at times with the ball to try to open things up. Just didnt have much support atall.

His end product is so fucking bad. We need wingers who can find AC's head.