Manchester Utd 3 - 0 Newcastle Utd - 16/08/10 - post match reaction from page 36

Dave

will people give Nolan a break, he was played out of position in case anyone didn't watch the game properly.#

I blame this on Hughton.

Why the f*** didn't CH employ Nolan as a central midfield I will never know, he played him upfront with Carroll wtf!!???  When we had Shola and Xisco on the bench.

At times Carroll was deeper and closer to the midfield than Nolan was.  Now tell me what the f*** is this type of tactic meant to be?? Amateur.

If CH employed him Nolan as a Attack Mid player then why was he given the license to play so far up in attack.  The whole formation stunk and smelt of ineptitude.

Today it really showed the difference between a World Class Prem Coach and a Championship one.

hughton played nolan where he played quite a lot of last season. the reason for carroll to sometimes be firther back is that in the second half they rotated so one could do some midfield hussle and the other could catch a breather up front,

It only reinforced the correct opinion that shitehouse midfielders like Kevin Nolan have no place in the Premier League. He isn't capable of a CM role, doesn't have the passing, the ball retention, the stamina......

Hughton's only mistake with Nolan is not selling him.

will people give Nolan a break, he was played out of position in case anyone didn't watch the game properly.#

I blame this on Hughton.

Why the f*** didn't CH employ Nolan as a central midfield I will never know, he played him upfront with Carroll wtf!!???  When we had Shola and Xisco on the bench.

At times Carroll was deeper and closer to the midfield than Nolan was.  Now tell me what the f*** is this type of tactic meant to be?? Amateur.

If CH employed him Nolan as a Attack Mid player then why was he given the license to play so far up in attack.  The whole formation stunk and smelt of ineptitude.

Today it really showed the difference between a World Class Prem Coach and a Championship one.

That is Nolan's position, that's where he was succesful for Bolton. Maybe the reason Carroll was there in the first place was because Nolan is such an unfit footballer he didn't have the legs to get back?

Nolan was just wandering around aimlessly, not even closing down opposition, that's the whole point of an attacking midfielder to get back enough to be an extra man but then link and/or break with the attack. He didn't do either and just doesn't have what it takes against such energetic opposition. 

Guest palnese

Carroll will be a handful this season.

Enrique had Valencia in his pocket.(most of the time)

Nolan is utter garbage.

Barton was decent, as was Routledge.

Jonas ;D How this man is an Argentine International is beyond me.

Harper is finished by the looks of it, at least from this game. Way to slow.

There was no point in bringing Shola on, I would rather have brought Xisco on as a striker, at least he has got some pace.

Williamson and Colo, hope they learn that silly mistakes will cost us in this league.

Smith did alright tbf to him.

I blame this on Hughton.

hughton played nolan where he played quite a lot of last season. the reason for carroll to sometimes be firther back is that in the second half they rotated so one could do some midfield hussle and the other could catch a breather up front,

Thats it, it's amatuer, why would a coach play nolan in that role.  Why not just play a flat three of nolan barton and smith, or a flat five, guti nolan barton smith routledge .

Nolan is best when he is amongst the thick of things not dilly dallying between upfront and midfield.

Routledge was s***. He had a few good runs at the start and end of the half but otherwise poor.

Absolute guff. What chance did he have up against 4 players with not a soul in sight? Easily the stupidest post of the day.

I felt he did ok at times.,  especially ploughing foward, but he gave Perch alot of work to do.

Perch, ive already made my feelings known earlier.  he had a stinker, bit better in the 2nd half.

Routledge was s***. He had a few good runs at the start and end of the half but otherwise poor.

Absolute guff. What chance did he have up against 4 players with not a soul in sight? Easily the stupidest post of the day.

So he was shit?

I blame this on Hughton.

That is Nolan's position, that's where he was succesful for Bolton. Maybe the reason Carroll was there in the first place was because Nolan is such an unfit footballer he didn't have the legs to get back?

Nolan was just wandering around aimlessly, not even closing down opposition, that's the whole point of an attacking midfielder to get back enough to be an extra man but then link and/or break with the attack. He didn't do either and just doesn't have what it takes against such energetic opposition. 

no nolan was deeper when he was at bolton,. he had the license to make runs out of mid, but mid was his primary position.

As others have said it was very pleasing the way the lads kept at it and didn't give up. In the relegation season that game would've finished 5 or 6 nil because as soon as it got to 2-0 our players would've dropped their heads and stopped playing.

Carroll was immense. Absolutely fantastic shift put in by him.

Where is Lovenkrands? He's got limited capabilities but if we insist on booting the ball up long to Carroll we need someone with a bit of pace to play next to him

As others have said it was very pleasing the way the lads kept at it and didn't give up. In the relegation season that game would've finished 5 or 6 nil because as soon as it got to 2-0 our players would've dropped their heads and stopped playing.

Where is Lovenkrands? He's got limited capabilities but if we insist on booting the ball up long to Carroll we need someone with a bit of pace to play next to him

In the relegation season this game ended 1-1.

Lovenkrands & Guthrie have minor knocks and are expected back for Villa, according to the Journal.

It never got to 2-0 though did it? That's his point. I thought the heads would drop after the second but they still put in a fight.

I blame this on Hughton.

no nolan was deeper when he was at bolton,. he had the license to make runs out of mid, but mid was his primary position.

Iirc his stand-out season at Bolton, where he scored 10 was when he was playing just behind Davies. If not, then he had the legs then, he just doesn't have the legs now, if CM is his best position i seriously worry because he was truly awful there when he first signed he was over-ran by virtually everyone he came up against.

When did I mention anything about this game?

and yet we got beat 5-1 in a season we stopped up