Manchester Utd 3 - 0 Newcastle Utd - 16/08/10 - post match reaction from page 36

Dave

Fuck me Perch is poor. Lost count of how many times he let Nani cut inside on to his favoured right foot. Don't mind him getting skinned by tricks or whatever but showing a player on to their stronger foot is unforgivable. Complete lack of awareness.

Last night definitely showed how badly we need a link man between the midfield and Carroll.

Guest neesy111

Fuck me Perch is poor. Lost count of how many times he let Nani cut inside on to his favoured right foot. Don't mind him getting skinned by tricks or whatever but showing a player on to their stronger foot is unforgivable. Complete lack of awareness.

Last night definitely showed how badly we need a link man between the midfield and Carroll.

This massively

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I thought Williamson did well - won a lot in the air and was good on the ground bar the odd moment, very impressed with him.

Enrique was solid as expected. Carroll did as well as could be expected, playing up front on your own isnt easy. Routledge will destroy weaker teams no doubt

The big worry for me was the central midfield and right back

Central Midfield = It was full of triers BUT no creativity whatsoever. We need Guthrie in the middle, thats vital as the 3 that played today dont offer a great deal going forward

Right Back = Perch was shocking, its only one game and it cant have been easy facing Nani BUT it was a worry. The back up options are not much better really. Simpson is a Championship right back at best, he wont be much better than Perch. Raylor was crap in the Premiership last time round, was average in the Championship as well so would not expect him to do anything. Our best right back is actually Steven Taylor BUT he is injured

If we dont buy a better right back then perhaps it is worth playing Williamson there, with Colo and Campbell in the middle - I think Williamson played a couple of times there last season and did well BUT it would only be a short term solution really

Play Coloccini at right back? Rather have Williamson in the middle.

Aye, I'd rather see Williamson in the middle, while Campbell's not available he is our best defender. I didn't think Perch was that bad though, he was thrown in at the deep end and was under a lot of pressure, I think he'll be adequate against some sides in the Prem

Guest neesy111

I thought Williamson did well - won a lot in the air and was good on the ground bar the odd moment, very impressed with him.

Enrique was solid as expected. Carroll did as well as could be expected, playing up front on your own isnt easy. Routledge will destroy weaker teams no doubt

The big worry for me was the central midfield and right back

Central Midfield = It was full of triers BUT no creativity whatsoever. We need Guthrie in the middle, thats vital as the 3 that played today dont offer a great deal going forward

Right Back = Perch was shocking, its only one game and it cant have been easy facing Nani BUT it was a worry. The back up options are not much better really. Simpson is a Championship right back at best, he wont be much better than Perch. Raylor was crap in the Premiership last time round, was average in the Championship as well so would not expect him to do anything. Our best right back is actually Steven Taylor BUT he is injured

If we dont buy a better right back then perhaps it is worth playing Williamson there, with Colo and Campbell in the middle - I think Williamson played a couple of times there last season and did well BUT it would only be a short term solution really

Play Coloccini at right back? Rather have Williamson in the middle.

Aye, I'd rather see Williamson in the middle, while Campbell's not available he is our best defender. I didn't think Perch was that bad though, he was thrown in at the deep end and was under a lot of pressure, I think he'll be adequate against some sides in the Prem

this is going away from the point, we shouldn't have to be resorting to this, playing CB's at RB

hughton i feel will keep picking perch, as he rate's him

Said what everyone expected him to say. I'd have preferred him to say how important it is to strenghten the squad immediately and give Ashley a nudge.

I appreciate the fact that Hughton has been nothing but completely professional with the media. No random outbursts or attention-seeking rants.

The man must have been embarrassed as fuck when he was forced to work under Joe Kinnear.

There isn't a player less suited to that in-the-hole role than Kevin Nolan man. Given his tendancy to disappear, regardless of his starting position, it's just inevitable that the whole game's gonna pass him by. I honestly reckon it should be upfront or nowhere when it comes to him. He hasn't got anything like the mobility/stamina to hold down a central-midfield role, nor the passing ability or vision. What he does have is decent anticipation... he's good at cottoning onto the fact there's a chance lurking somewhere in the build-up... and he can finish like a striker. Anywhere else, in this division, he's surplus.

I've got a horrible feeling he's gonna be this season's Butt.

Totally, seems to me that playing Nolan in the hole was a just a way of saying "we have this player who's a big name and we don't want to drop, but doesn't have the stamina or mobility to actually play in midfield".

Just seems like an excuse to get him in the team because he's supposedly good at "arriving in the box".

In the Premiership he's guaranteed to offer next to nothing.

Yep he is a passenger and one we can't afford to have onboard. He needs to be dropped asap, either give Vuckic a chance or go with another striker.

Guest neesy111

Again same old failings as well, the midfield to blame the most for the performance, how long have NUFC fans been saying this 5-6 years ffs

There isn't a player less suited to that in-the-hole role than Kevin Nolan man. Given his tendancy to disappear, regardless of his starting position, it's just inevitable that the whole game's gonna pass him by. I honestly reckon it should be upfront or nowhere when it comes to him. He hasn't got anything like the mobility/stamina to hold down a central-midfield role, nor the passing ability or vision. What he does have is decent anticipation... he's good at cottoning onto the fact there's a chance lurking somewhere in the build-up... and he can finish like a striker. Anywhere else, in this division, he's surplus.

I've got a horrible feeling he's gonna be this season's Butt.

Totally, seems to me that playing Nolan in the hole was a just a way of saying "we have this player who's a big name and we don't want to drop, but doesn't have the stamina or mobility to actually play in midfield".

Just seems like an excuse to get him in the team because he's supposedly good at "arriving in the box".

In the Premiership he's guaranteed to offer next to nothing.

Yep he is a passenger and one we can't afford to have onboard. He needs to be dropped asap, either give Vuckic a chance or go with another striker.

I know people tend to fall either side of the 'experience vs. give the kids a chance' debate, but i really can't see what we stand to lose playing the likes of a promising young lad like Vuckic with mobility over the likes of Nolan and Smith. Thought the defenders minus Perch (although its early days) looked ok despite the scoreline and that with the effectiveness of both defenders and wingers alike are suffering solely because of this insistence on playing these player types.

It's stuck record syndrome with those points but hopefully if we can utilize Ben Arfa (god willing) and improve our toothlessness in the final third with a pacy striker and nip this frankly poisonous mentality in the bud.

Result was fair and acceptable tbh. Like most have already said next week is the test.

Dont understand why Nolan is getting alot of stick here. There were worse players on the pitch than him that stopped him getting involved in the game, Perch, Smith and Jonas for starters.

Just another player yous can all whine about.

You fishing?

Nolan did nothing. Granted, Smith gave stupid fouls away, but at least we saw him getting involved. Nolan was the most pointless player we've ever seen last night.

Dont understand why Nolan is getting alot of stick here. There were worse players on the pitch than him that stopped him getting involved in the game, Perch, Smith and Jonas for starters.

You fishing?

Nolan did nothing. Granted, Smith gave stupid fouls away, but at least we saw him getting involved. Nolan was the most pointless player we've ever seen last night.

Agree. Nolan was our worst player together with Perch imo.

Guest neesy111

what game did you watch then?

nolan did fuck all, didn't support carroll once in the 1st half, and whenever he appeared in the game he would give it away easily

The likes of Perch (I'm giving the lad a chance) and Jonas weren't part of the reason we went down in the first place. Play with players as immobile as Nolan and to a lesser extent Smith and you're asking to struggle in this league. Very much part of the reason it was a cakewalk for Man U last night and why much of play was well in our own half. Should a decent CM sign I would have no problem with the latter two names just mentioned being jettisoned. Championship quality at best.

The likes of Perch (I'm giving the lad a chance) and Jonas weren't part of the reason we went down in the first place. Play with players as immobile as Nolan and to a lesser extent Smith and you're asking to struggle in this league. Very much part of the reason it was a cakewalk for Man U last night and why much of play was well in our own half. Should a decent CM sign I would have no problem with the latter two names just mentioned being jettisoned. Championship quality at best.

The reason it was so easy for them is because they are one of the best sides in europe and we are not. Pretty simple really.

Much of our play was in out own half because we were just hoofing it in any direction hoping for Carroll to bring it down and bring Nolan into play. Doesnt help when you have idiots like Smith and Jonas giving away stupid fouls and trying to take on the whole side.

Certainly not the worst player on the pitch though, which is what people are making him out to be here.

He might not have been the worst but he allowed Scholes to be the best. No doubt Nolan tries but he's so slow he can't hope to compete with a mobile midfield like Man U's, especially if he's got equally slow partners in Barton and Smith. You can get away with it in the Championship, in the premier you will get run down like an old dog.

Guest Roger Kint

Nolan was comfortably our worst player ffs. What did he do?

Atleast Perch had a respectable 2nd half and Smith was actively involved in the game.

This for me, at the very least Perch and Smith tried while Nolan happily disappeared.

Certainly not the worst player on the pitch though, which is what people are making him out to be here.

He might not have been the worst but he allowed Scholes to be the best. No doubt Nolan tries but he's so slow he can't hope to compete with a mobile midfield like Man U's, especially if he's got equally slow partners in Barton and Smith. You can get away with it in the Championship, in the premier you will get run down like an old dog.

How the hell could it have been his fault Scholes had a good game? Nolan was just behind Carroll, keeping Scholes and Fletcher quiet was Barton and Smiths job and they failed, badly.

Perch had nothing to do in the second half, the only thing Smith was involved in was giving away stupid fouls.

I think we all expected that result or something similar and I don't think it will ruin our season in any way. Man u passed the ball around through one-touch football which at times was totally mesmerising, not many teams could have played well against them last night... Paul Scholes, the ginger cnut that everyone loves to hate, I'd sign him in a minute, this football malarky is sooo easy!

We deffo need a striker or Nº10 to help out Carrol or we will suffer horribly. Barton looked a yard or so off the pace and that quick yellow dampened him totally, hopefully he will get better because last night was poor, his partner Smith did what he does best; put 100% effort in but without much inroads into the Manu midfield and it would be nice if he made a forward pass every now and again...

Either Perch livens up or you have to stick him on the bench, praying that Taylor comes back quicker than expected and I reckon we could have a decent back four if he slots in at right back???

Nolan was cack last night, don't know if it was the position or just that he's a lumbering lazy player but...

Harper, don't know if it's only me but he was sooo slow to get near Gigg's goal, I am a bit worried about him, seems like the reflexes are going....Krul for Nº1!!!!

The positives to take from our performance:

-Andy Carrol, what a shift he put in last night, shame about that first header... but it will come, I hope. Defense, midfield attack, what didn't he do last night? A shame That nolan is so immobile that Carrol was the "sole" striker. This also made Manu's job much easier as they only had to keep their 2 centre backs to watch him, their full backs ran riot and had freedom of the pitch.

-Williamson, Colo & Enrique, thought they all played well last night and Williamson was my pick of the three, honestly think that he will grow and grow in the prem, wasn't fazed by anything and looked at home.

-Routledge, against lesser opposition he will have a field day but he was playing against the prem's best left back to be fair... Looks tricky and pacy.

I think we will do much better against Villa, my only real worry at the moment is our man Perch, he will be pinpointed by other teams as a weakness and I hope he gets confidence. Should have been sent off last night for the foul when through on goal, he did much the same against PSV when I watched him then, panicks too much...

He will get better (optomism taking over)!!!

Nolan was comfortably our worst player ffs. What did he do?

Atleast Perch had a respectable 2nd half and Smith was actively involved in the game.

Very generous to Perch there. Was nowhere for their 3rd.

The reason it was so easy for them is because they are one of the best sides in europe and we are not. Pretty simple really.

Much of our play was in out own half because we were just hoofing it in any direction hoping for Carroll to bring it down and bring Nolan into play. Doesnt help when you have idiots like Smith and Jonas giving away stupid fouls and trying to take on the whole side.

The fact that they are vastly superior goes without saying. The fact we have a poor midfield serves only to amplify that. Tbh the only thing that will 'bring Nolan into play' has to be himself. If he has to rely solely on Smith not giving away last ditch fouls and Jonas not trying to take folk on (?!!) then is really going to be of use this season?