Newcastle United v Aston Villa (the season starts here, maybe)

Ishmael

so it's either

Harper

Perch Will Colo Jose

Routledge Smith Barton Guti

Nolan

Carroll

or

Harper

Perch Will Colo Jose

Routledge Smith  Barton Guti

Shola Caroll

Neither look very good tbh. as things stand 0-1 defeat. we won't be able to score

Ah, Mr Routledge! He bombed spectacularly at VP - maybe because MoN "didn't like the look of him" (he was like that). I hope he has got his game together by now.

Surely you'd be hoping otherwise? Considering he'll be up against your team in a few days!  :laugh:

Not really. From what I've seen of him, the guy is not really Premiership class.

you hope he has got his act together, but your not worried because he isnt premiership class? i dont know what that means.

That's what I was wondering. Contradiction central.

Let me explain.  On the few occasions he played for us, he was like a frightened rabbit in headlights. All over the place. I hope he has got his head together for his own sake, but in terms of footballing talent he is a Championship player at best.

Gotta agree with Teasy.

Lovenkrands would be a significant improvement to the team, sad as it is to say.

He's the only striker we have that provides any sort of movement or threat to get in behind the defense. If we start with Nolan playing off Carroll again I'd almost guarantee a loss.

Got Albrighton, Ireland and C. Clark in my dream team, shame were up against them.

Albrighton looked fantastic against wham, by the end of the season i reckon Fabio will cap him (and Phil Jones) with his supposed new youth policy.

I think the criticism of Lovenkrands is a little harsh. I'd prefer him to Xisco upfront, although I dont think him and Carroll combined will have enough goals to keep us up, I do think he deserves to start.

However if Lovenkrands was out, I'd prefer Xisco to start ahead of Shola. Ameobi has long been proven to be s***, there is no point in persisting with a player who well all know isnt good enough, we might as well throw in Xisco.  I'd also play Raylor ahead of Perch, we all know they're both sub standard but for me Raylor edges it, both are defensively frail but at least Raylor offers something going forward with a few good deliveries into the box occasionally.

I'd go:

Harper

Raylor   Williamson     Colo   Enrique

Routledge  Guthrie    Barton   Jonas

Carroll   Lovenrkands/Xisco   (Depending on Lovenkrands fitness)

2-1 loss for me. Making a difficult trip to Wolves massive. Here's hoping for at least a point.

Good defenders will eat Lovenkrands for breakfast. We cannot afford players who can't really assert themselves.

The Good defenders will, yes. However, the teams that we'll be competing with dont tend to have 2 good central defenders. Is it certain the likes of Jody Craddock, Zat Knight, Robert Huth, Emmerson Boyce, Winston Reid etc etc will "eat him for breakfast"? The chances are these players will be starting against us in crucial games, I'd fancy his pace and movement to cause a few problems against the bottom half teams if I'm honest, more so than Xisco.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Good defenders will eat Lovenkrands for breakfast. We cannot afford players who can't really assert themselves.

We've got no one else. He is our best option at the moment.

The Good defenders will, yes. However, the teams that we'll be competing with dont tend to have 2 good central defenders. Is it certain the likes of Jody Craddock, Zat Knight, Robert Huth, Emmerson Boyce, Winston Reid etc etc will "eat him for breakfast"? The chances are these players will be starting against us in crucial games, I'd fancy his pace and movement to cause a few problems against the bottom half teams if I'm honest, more so than Xisco.

This is the Villa thread, mate. Villa have good defenders.

However, if you look at the teams Loven scored against last season, a pattern appears.

However, if you look at the teams Loven scored against last season, a pattern appears.

Swansea? West Brom? Cardiff? Middlesbrough? QPR? Sheff Utd?

Looks like much of the cream of the division to me.

Villa will have Ciaran Clark at centre half making only his 4th appearance. Hardly can be considered a good premier league defender. I'd fancy Lovenkrands to cause more problems than Xisco like.

Manu who had not conceded for a record 1100mins or something like that.  :lol:

Defenders and managers will be aware of Lovenkrands' pace and that would give us an advantage going forward. I dont think he will score many this season, but I would certainly rather have him up there than Nolan, who will just disappear and has zero pace.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Defenders and managers will be aware of Lovenkrands' pace and that would give us an advantage going forward. I dont think he will score many this season, but I would certainly rather have him up there than Nolan, who will just disappear and has zero pace.

Yep. We need to be starting 4-4-2 at home, Lovenkrands would be my first choice alongside Carrolll

Boro finished 11th, QPR finished 13th, Sheff United 8th.

Yeah. The cream of the division.

Boro finished 11th, QPR finished 13th, Sheff United 8th.

Yeah. The cream of the division.

Well QPR under Warnock are clearly a different kettle of fish but fair enough so he scored against 2nd, 4th, 7th, 8th, 11th etc... what point are you trying to make?

He didn't score against 3rd, 5th, 6th and 9th placed teams. Useless cunt. :dave:

Xisco got three goals in La Liga last season btw, 2 vs Tenerife and 1 vs Xerez. Both sides went down.