Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Being realistic, £25m is his peak value and I'd probably take that. It feels like he misses loads of games and takes a while to get into the swing of it. He plays brilliantly against the big teams though. Obviously its awful to see your club sell quality, but this model is seeing us fly up the league. Selling Tiote could improve our squad like Berbatov/Carrick did to Spurs. But do you trust the club to do it?

Totally agree. As much as I trust Graham Carr, there is certainly no guarantee if we sell him that we will be able to pick up another player of equal ability and who has an instant impact like a few seem to be suggesting.

Don't get me wrong, I do NOT want to lose Tiote. He is a good player, seems to like the club/area and I'd be happy to see him playing for us for many years to come.

However in a real world of salary budgets etc, it is reported he earns £67K per week and if his agent starts turning his head at Chelsea's offer, I would not go any higher than that, thereby taking budget away from another position.

As you rightly say there is no guarantee that you pick up a player as good, but a fee in the region of £15-20M and a salary budget of £3.35M p.a. would certainly help you to find someone decent.

Totally agree. As much as I trust Graham Carr, there is certainly no guarantee if we sell him that we will be able to pick up another player of equal ability and who has an instant impact like a few seem to be suggesting.

Don't get me wrong, I do NOT want to lose Tiote. He is a good player, seems to like the club/area and I'd be happy to see him playing for us for many years to come.

However in a real world of salary budgets etc, it is reported he earns £67K per week and if his agent starts turning his head at Chelsea's offer, I would not go any higher than that, thereby taking budget away from another position.

As you rightly say there is no guarantee that you pick up a player as good, but a fee in the region of £15-20M and a salary budget of £3.35M p.a. would certainly help you to find someone decent.

Agree with all of that. It was suggestions like we could pick up £20 million for Tiote and then replace him for £3-5 million that I was disagreeing with.

Guest BooBoo

Tiote's invaluable when we are up against it, especially away. When the onus is on us to attack he's limited in what he can offer. I don't think him and Cabaye have formed any sort of midfield understanding and if the summer sees us having to sell one of the jewels, then I'd probably take a hit on Tiote. I think when Cabaye and Guthrie have played together this season, we've probably just about looked a more competent footballing side.

Tiote's suffered from being told to do more than he's capable of doing. He's not being used a sitting midfielder anymore, he's being played more dynamically than that, whereas Cabaye's the more static of the 2 now. They're a relatively good partnership now but if you tell Cheik to hold position and sit and let Yohan do the roaming, box-to-box stuff they'd be far better.

Cabaye and Tiote will never make a good partnership if we want to play good football and stay in the top 6. Ideally Tiote would stay and we buy a box-to-box guy to partner him.

I see it more of Tiote's problem than Cabaye.

Tiote can function as an excellent DM in this league. I'm not sure a player of Cabaye's type has ever really been a success.

Cabaye and Tiote will never make a good partnership if we want to play good football and stay in the top 6. Ideally Tiote would stay and we buy a box-to-box guy to partner him.

I see it more of Tiote's problem than Cabaye.

Tiote can function as an excellent DM in this league. I'm not sure a player of Cabaye's type has ever really been a success.

Id rather we look to develop the 2 by means of finishing the season together and allowing a pre-season and continued development vs. just giving up when like stated above, only started 16 matches together this season.

I think they will develop more as our wing-play develops more and we solidify what is going on behind them with Stevie Taylor slotting back next to Colo or a pacier, strong, more assured upgraded CB plays alongside Colo to solidify the spine. 

I also think the analysis on deciding whether the 2 will work together is far from finalized as our style of play has been so wayward and their appearances together have been interrupted by injury/ACON/summer-preseason-fail etc

If we had to get to get rid of one it would 100% be Cabaye for me. Offers fuck all, doesn't create anything, shit set pieces and get's in Tiote's way defensively.

It's more to do with where he is told to play rather than his lack of ability imo.

I'm not saying get rid of Cabaye but lately he's done nothing to warrant being in the team, I'm not sure if it is a case of him being told to sit because we're not even seeing flashes of his talent he just runs about for 90 mins. I'd love the Cabaye from Villa away or Man Utd at home or even flashes of that once every two games but I don't see anything. It's a shame we're probably losing Guthrie as he's offered what I want from Cabaye nearly every game he's played this season. Hopefully this is just a settling in thing and he'll be more attack minded next season but if he had a full season playing like he has been since Jan this season I'd have no qualms about selling him.

Im not a fan of these predicted formations, but maybe this could be nice...  Would need a lot of work from Santon and Jonas (or another wing back). Not sure about a central 3 in the PL though.

Krul

Colo Taylor Pieters?

Santon                  Jonas?

Tiote Cabaye

HBA

Ba    Cisee

Im not a fan of these predicted formations, but maybe this could be nice... 

Krul

Colo Taylor Pieters?

Santon                  Jonas?

Tiote Cabaye

HBA

Ba    Cisee

Or maybe replace Pieters with Douglas.

How are those three lovely passes that could've easily been assists on Sunday not flashes?

Is this a regular occurrence recently though? no. It seems like I hate having Cabaye in the team :lol: I don't, just finding him very frustrating recently and think it was incredibly harsh on Guthrie considering he was doing fine before being being dropped straight to the bench.