Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

not that it makes any odds....but would people see 20m as a good deal? (assuming its reinvested)

personally i'd rather keep hold of him, see if we get offered more (which i think we would) and if we don't....no skin off our nose

not that it makes any odds....but would people see 20m as a good deal? (assuming its reinvested)

personally i'd rather keep hold of him, see if we get offered more (which i think we would) and if we don't....no skin off our nose

Very wishful thinking IMO. He'd want to go if either of the clubs rumoured genuinely came in for him.

£20m is the same price that Jordan Henderson and Stewart Downing went for, £15m less than Andy Carroll (yes, I realise all three share a common denominator, but still :lol:). Considering how ridiculous the market has been for transfers within the league I'd be disappointed if we only got £20m

Very wishful thinking IMO. He'd want to go if either of the clubs rumoured genuinely came in for him.

certainly is...just thinking of it from an ideal world point of view....if only :(

£20m is the same price that Jordan Henderson and Stewart Downing went for, £15m less than Andy Carroll (yes, I realise all three share a common denominator, but still :lol:). Considering how ridiculous the market has been for transfers within the league I'd be disappointed if we only got £20m

aye, i was thinking about it with jordan henderson in mind when i typed it...but i suppose you cant judge every transfer by looking at KKK's genius dealings :lol:

but yeah, i'd be disappointed as well, especially if the russian's sniffing about

I'd sell if we could get m'Vila but suspect it would be Mulumbu which wouldn't be the end of the world. If we had to sell one top player it would be Tiote for me as his passing isn't as good as it should be at this level. Still hope he stays mind.

I'd sell if we could get m'Vila but suspect it would be Mulumbu which wouldn't be the end of the world. If we had to sell one top player it would be Tiote for me as his passing isn't as good as it should be at this level. Still hope he stays mind.

:kasper:  Are you serious?  If you  compare Tiote's passing against other DM in the league, I think you'll find that he's excellent in that area. Of course he could do like Smith and  only make  short and support passes, but he's does much more than that.  I agree that he's been rusty in a couple of games and that he makes some unnecessary mistakes sometimes, but when Tiote plays he changes the dynamic of the game just by his pure presence. Last season was disrupted by injuries and ACN. Think he'll take it to a new level next season and I'll be gutted if we sell him for only £20 mill. :tiote:

£20m would be a very good price for the player, and if re-invested we should end up with a stronger squad. So yeah, I would.

I agree with Morpeth Mag. His defensive work is excellent, but he often hangs on to the ball too long, and his distribution isn't great. Mulumbu would be a good replacement.

£20m would be a very good price for the player, and if re-invested we should end up with a stronger squad. So yeah, I would.

I agree with Morpeth Mag. His defensive work is excellent, but he often hangs on to the ball too long, and his distribution isn't great. Mulumbu would be a good replacement.

£20 million would get us a £7 million player on £50,000 a week over 5 years.  When we buy players we also factor in wages so selling Tiote would get us 1 or 2 established players and player transfers don't always work.

For those who's forgetful about check  Chieck Tiote vs Manchester United Highlights [Why he is worth 25m] on youtube . From  2:20 and out you could especially see his "shit" distribution.  The  video also show how good he's at pushing ManU towards their own half. That of course enables us to push higher on the pith. which protects us from being sieged around our own box. That is vital when playing against top teams  This is what Tiote brings to the game by only being on the pitch, the opponent is terrified of him.

Although  I agree that his distribution could be better and that he holds on to the ball too long sometimes, but to say that his passing isn't good is wide of the mark. He has room for improvement yes, and I think he'll get better for each year. And  I disagree strongly with those who thinks Tiote is only worth £20 and can easily be replaced by Mulumbu,

Tiote's one of the best DMs in the league, with 5 years left on his contract and a lot better than anything Man U have in his position. 20 million is the lowest any club will get him for.

The money Chelsea, man city and man utd are going to spend is ridiculous, no team has a chance of closing the gap and maintaining it. Chelsea finish 6th so go and spend over 100 mil to get them back up there mental. Fair play rules clearly not going to deter them whatsoever. Btw how are Chelsea buying all these players without even having a manager

Us spending nearly ten million on pappis means that doncaster have no chance of catching us. We benefit, and have benefited, much more than the average club from being able to spend big money. Its crass to moan because a small minority can spend more than us.

Us spending nearly ten million on pappis means that doncaster have no chance of catching us. We benefit, and have benefited, much more than the average club from being able to spend big money. Its crass to moan because a small minority can spend more than us.

Oh I understand that, its just out of control at the top end. Doncaster could get to spend that 10 mil if they got to premier league. When would we ever get to spend 100 mil or 50 mil on one player. Its absolutely mental

Oh I understand that, its just out of control at the top end. Doncaster could get to spend that 10 mil if they got to premier league. When would we ever get to spend 100 mil or 50 mil on one player. Its absolutely mental

We spent 15m on Shearer, at the time a world record. Was pretty mental at the time tbh.

£20 million would get us a £7 million player on £50,000 a week over 5 years.  When we buy players we also factor in wages so selling Tiote would get us 1 or 2 established players and player transfers don't always work.

Surely we would factor in the 5 years wages we would save on Tiote too then? Not sure your argument stacks up.

The point is that with Tiote you get value for money, while his replacement could in worst case scenario be another Smith for 5 years. You know what you have, but not what you get.

Do we not get to factor in Tiote's five year contract as part of the savings?

The point is that with Tiote you get value for money, while his replacement could in worst case scenario be another Smith for 5 years. You know what you have, but not what you get.

True, but there is a high level of confidence now with our scouting and recruitment policy so hopefully the successes will continue to easily outweigh the failures.

True, but there is a high level of confidence now with our scouting and recruitment policy so hopefully the successes will continue to easily outweigh the failures.

That's correct. Our scouting system has reduced the probability of failures. But still it will not be easy to replace Tiote. Our extraordinary success in transfer marked will also make it more difficult for us buying players who're value for money. Other clubs will pay attention to us and agents will have incentives to leak our potential interest. Our interest could in other words drive the price automatically up.

Can't believe Fergie thinks £20m is too much ;D Ridiculous stuff.

It's true mate, he was so outraged he had someone at Old Trafford ring Bob Cass and tell him.