Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Dutch media NOS (like our BBC) report the transfer fee as 8 million euros.

Seen much of him mate?

Yep. Excellent addition to our squad.

:indi:

Care to compile a short overview on his strengths and weaknesses? Pretty please.

Ok, here's what I know. Twente used him as a sort of 12th man last season in their championship season, meaning he was not a starter in most of their matches, but was often brought on to consolidate a small lead into a secured win or to impose more dominance in their midfield. He is very highly though off, and Twente fans consider him a very important figure in their surprise succeeded championship challenge last season. As you would expect, he is a very physically imposing midfielder, who is stronger in the defensive tasks than in attack. Twente fans sometimes criticize his tendency to walk with the ball rather than play it around quickly, but seeing as he is so strong on the ball he still very rarely loses it without a foul being made on him. From what I've seen personally he is much better with the ball than our current crop, although he is not one for killer passes or scoring many goals. If we use him to his strengths, sitting in front of the defense and let him win the ball and lay it off to some of our more creative (!) players he will be a very good addition for us. He has the physical attributes and the talent to succeed in the Premiership, that's for sure..

Ta. Do you live out therer or summit?

In the Netherlands aye.. Also, my brother in law is a Twente fan (lucky bastard this past year), so I know a little about how their fans see him.

I'm very pleased that this is happening and hopefully it means i'll never have look at the bleach-blonde w***** ever again. However, we're 10 days from the close of the window and not a single player has been brought in to solve the main problem within the squad, it's embarrassing.

Agree wi most of that. Think we will address the striker situation though.

Dutch media NOS (like our BBC) report the transfer fee as 8 million euros.

Seen much of him mate?

Yep. Excellent addition to our squad.

:indi:

Care to compile a short overview on his strengths and weaknesses? Pretty please.

Ok, here's what I know. Twente used him as a sort of 12th man last season in their championship season, meaning he was not a starter in most of their matches, but was often brought on to consolidate a small lead into a secured win or to impose more dominance in their midfield. He is very highly though off, and Twente fans consider him a very important figure in their surprise succeeded championship challenge last season. As you would expect, he is a very physically imposing midfielder, who is stronger in the defensive tasks than in attack. Twente fans sometimes criticize his tendency to walk with the ball rather than play it around quickly, but seeing as he is so strong on the ball he still very rarely loses it without a foul being made on him. From what I've seen personally he is much better with the ball than our current crop, although he is not one for killer passes or scoring many goals. If we use him to his strengths, sitting in front of the defense and let him win the ball and lay it off to some of our more creative (!) players he will be a very good addition for us. He has the physical attributes and the talent to succeed in the Premiership, that's for sure..

That's what we've been missing tbh, thanks for the lowdown.

Oh, forgot to say most Twente fans feel he's come on leaps and bounds in the past year or so. He was just one of their talented youngsters this time last year, but most of them are really sorry to see him go and reckon he would have played a much larger part for them this season..

Guest Heneage

Makes the ridiculous bargaining over HBA seem bizarre. Fair play, we need these players.

Not really they are in very different situations as players. Ben Arfa is a talent with apparent attitude problems and big wages. Tiote is of similar age but will be on a smaller wage and is coming to prominence. They might be on the same level, but one has gone up the figurative ladder the other has slipped down.

Makes the ridiculous bargaining over HBA seem bizarre. Fair play, we need these players.

Not really they are in very different situations as players. Ben Arfa is a talent with apparent attitude problems and big wages. Tiote is of similar age but will be on a smaller wage and is coming to prominence. They might be on the same level, but one has gone up the figurative ladder the other has slipped down.

We could certainly do with a defensive midfielder.

We're going down without a creative midfielder/attacker.

Spot the difference.

Spot the difference.

How will you feel if we get Ben Arfa?

Spot the difference.

How will you feel if we get Ben Arfa?

That we're more likely to finish 17th than 18th.

Where in the Netherlands are you from, Unbelievable?

Just curious

jeez he just gave u a good analysis of the lad... Why the fk you need his personal information??

Because I've been to quite a few places in Holland, and was just wondering if I might have visited the place he is from. Calm down

Guest Heneage

Spot the difference.

I wasn't debating the two's importance to staying up, I'm basing it solely on the players themselves, I think the fact we bought Kevin Nolan when we were struggling to score last time tells you everything you need to know about the current regime.

In an ideal world we would be looking to push through the Ben Arfa deal first as a matter of importance.

Apolgoies if already posted but we have confirmation from Twente's website that we've signed him.

http://www.fctwente.nl/nieuws/statisch/item_10402.html