Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

:lol: To sum up your post: Cheik Tiote - excellent player but sell him because he's not excellent.

And yes, great to get lots of money for him - I guess Ashley's chopper needs some new painting.....

He is excellent but also a player who will miss numerous games due to suspensions and ACN duty this season plus next.  I've always been of the belief that every player has a price.

Plus what happens if Chelsea are after him in January, he gets his head completely turned by Drogba and Kalou when at the ACN, Chelsea offer him £85K a week.  Do we do a Spurs with Modric or a Spurs with Berbatov?

30m?  Would.  That makes me the devil but I like red suits and brimstone. 

What for? Genuine question.

If it was the final pay-off required to get our stadium name back and for Ashley/Llambias to fuck off, then maybe. No assurances the next owner would be any better mind you. Otherwise, don't see the point whatsoever.

Aye. Getting SJP back, getting rid of Ashley and Derek? Sell him, sell Coloccini, sell Cabaye and buy Barton just to sell him again. It'd be like beating cancer.....

:lol: To sum up your post: Cheik Tiote - excellent player but sell him because he's not excellent.

And yes, great to get lots of money for him - I guess Ashley's chopper needs some new painting.....

He is excellent but also a player who will miss numerous games due to suspensions and ACN duty this season plus next.  I've always been of the belief that every player has a price.

Plus what happens if Chelsea are after him in January, he gets his head completely turned by Drogba and Kalou when at the ACN, Chelsea offer him £85K a week.  Do we do a Spurs with Modric or a Spurs with Berbatov?

The point is, while Spurs used the money they got from the Berbatov sale, while they would use the money which they could get from Modric - we wouldn't use the Tiote money for the squad. Get to grips.

Get to grips?

What about my earlier point that I didn't think we would have beat Stoke with Tiote, because Cabaye and Guthrie are better footballers (not players, footballers).

Get to grips?

What about my earlier point that I didn't think we would have beat Stoke with Tiote, because Cabaye and Guthrie are better footballers (not players, footballers).

No one knows.

I'm quite a fan of Guthrie, anyway.

But you can't say for sure that we wouldn't have beaten them with Tiote instead of him while I can't say the opposite.

I wouldn't be against this on the premise we actually bring someone else in before the sale goes through.

There are others who can do the job he does out there, if the club are playing similar games to what they did with Carroll last year I just hope they actually have a replacement lined up.

Won't happen. The replacement is here. Guthrie.

Last season, the replacement was Best. Worked out. They'll think it'll work out with Guthrie the same way.

Guthrie will get a contract extension soon, same as Harper got one in January 2009 when we sold Given.

Can't those bastards not just poach Diame ffs. Or do they gain more from poaching from their rivals? :shifty:

This is what suprises me about the Tiote link, wouldn't the other clubs just go for Diame as he'd cost significantly less than Tiote who wouldn't be a guaranteed starter at Chelsea when everyone is fit

Diame, N'Zonzi, Muamba or that bloke from WBA would be a cheap replacement, however there are loads of African/French mids in France who'd replace Tiote for same fee but probably half the wages.

Loads to replace him, most won't be as good though.

30m?  Would.  That makes me the devil but I like red suits and brimstone. 

What for? Genuine question.

Genuinely don't see him as being £30m worth of essential to the team.  £10m, maybe up to £15m.  Wouldn't sell him then - and around there is where I figure his true value lies. 

I know the accepted wisdom is it's not getting reinvested in the team but the money has to go somewhere in the accounts?  If a hefty chunk is going towards paying off the Ashley owed debt and/or making us self sufficient - both conditions making us more attractive to potential buyers - I'm hard pressed to disagree at that price. Will admit I haven't looked at last years financials yet, if they're even out.

Diame, N'Zonzi, Muamba or that bloke from WBA would be a cheap replacement, however there are loads of African/French mids in France who'd replace Tiote for same fee but probably half the wages.

Some will be better, not the ones I mentioned who are currently playing in England, but I reckon we could find a better technical partner for Cabaye from france who is the same level defensively.

Teams like Manu will want the settled in the league players which Tiote brings, rather than take the initial gamble (which we do and did with Tiote last season) and end up with another djemba Djemba.

Also there is something in going for a player a top 4 won't touch (like the ones I mentioned playing in England) at last we get to keep him long term and similar teams to us can't afford or he won't move.

Some will be better, not the ones I mentioned who are currently playing in England, but I reckon we could find a better technical partner for Cabaye from france who is the same level defensively.

Teams like Manu will want the settled in the league players which Tiote brings, rather than take the initial gamble (which we do and did with Tiote last season) and end up with another djemba Djemba.

Also there is something in going for a player a top 4 won't touch (like the ones I mentioned playing in England) at last we get to keep him long term and similar teams to us can't afford or he won't move.

What's that mean? Reads as though you're saying we could/should buy a player the top clubs wouldn't want, just so we can keep them?!

What's that mean? Reads as though you're saying we could/should buy a player the top clubs wouldn't want, just so we can keep them?!

That's exactly what he said.

There are plenty of players that won't be snapped up or wanted by big teams who'd do a great job for us, if were worried about selling everyone who makes their mark, then at least we'd have a settled team, something I thought all of us by now don't take for granted anymore, as in our defence, and the stability it's brought to the XI and even the club itself.

Guess chopping and changing is the way forward, must by watching a different game to others.

I am not sure why Pardew is suddenly advertising the fact our players are for sale at the right price, surely we should be busting a gut to hold on to our best players and looking to build a squad capable of competing at the top end of the table.

I really hope that Pardew isn't on a contract that means he gets a cut from outgoing transfers, similar to Ian Holloway at Blackpool.

I suspect it's more that Pardew tends to try to give fairly honest answers a lot, so they asked him directly, and maybe said more than he should have, but maybe thought it'll warn them off sufficiently. Really we need to see if Tiote is agitating for a move, and tbh would think we should be tell him to shut up and stay, its hardly like Modric has gone on strike despite the very public desire for him to go. I think recently the fear of that has led to a lot of players sold just because they ask to go, business wise it makes sense to sell players if they could run down their contract, but don't think that's a danger yet with Tiote.

Optimistically if we have to sell him, we've done some good business recently, Graham Carr has been pretty outstanding, if we can reinvest even half the money it's credible we'd come out stronger. I have more faith than I did at start of summer that we can come out stronger from a transfer window than went into it, even if we don't see the large sums thrown around.

There are plenty of players that won't be snapped up or wanted by big teams who'd do a great job for us, if were worried about selling everyone who makes their mark, then at least we'd have a settled team, something I thought all of us by now don't take for granted anymore, as in our defence, and the stability it's brought to the XI and even the club itself.

Guess chopping and changing is the way forward, must by watching a different game to others.

This is bongling my head. :lol:

So effectively you're saying it'd be better if our players weren't that good? Because then the top clubs wouldn't want them and we'd be a settled team? What would be the benefit of that then? There's a paradox here. Might as well hope we don't win too many matches.

The only way to keep players like Tiote is to come top 4, I think our strategy is quite good but it's a gradual progression and will mean selling and reinvesting in scouted players.

If we continue to buy players with the talent of Cabaye and Tiote for the money we have been then I feel more comfortable about selling players like Cheick.

So effectively you're saying it'd be better if our players weren't that good? Because then the top clubs wouldn't want them and we'd be a settled team? What would be the benefit of that then? There's a paradox here. Might as well hope we don't win too many matches.

Yeah that's what I'm saying, you turning in to Wullie? Doing a very good impression of him.

What I'm saying, to make it clear to the those in the cheap seats, is selling Tiote and replacing him with someone who we deem maybe not as glam as him wouldnt be the end of the world, at least we'd have continuity, I'm not saying fill the team with league 2 players, but let's not scoff at players who could do a job up to and beyond our level but are deemed not good enough for the very top clubs. Selling Carroll and replacing him with Ba springs to mind, no top club would want him, but he's a very good player for us. I think we could even get better than him and that player never be courted by the top clubs for whatever reason.

I can't see how you can twist that, but the school of Wullie in you will no doubt find a way. 'TT wants us to buy loads ov shit coz we keep em, let sign smith for another 5 years'

Yeah that's what I'm saying, you turning in to Wullie? Doing a very good impression of him.

What I'm saying, to make it clear to the those in the cheap seats, is selling Tiote and replacing him with someone who we deem maybe not as glam as him wouldnt be the end of the world, at least we'd have continuity, I'm not saying fill the team with league 2 players, but let's not scoff at players who could do a job up to and beyond our level but are deemed not good enough for the very top clubs. Selling Carroll and replacing him with Ba springs to mind, no top club would want him, but he's a very good player for us. I think we could even get better than him and that player never be courted by the top clubs for whatever reason.

I can't see how you can twist that, but the school of Wullie in you will no doubt find a way. 'TT wants us to buy loads ov shit coz we keep em, let sign smith for another 5 years'

Not sure what Wullie's got to do with any of this, you've lost me there. ???

How would selling one of our key players be a sign of continuity? We'd be back to hoping one of said players settled in with our club and his teammates. What do you mean by not as glam? Tiote was £3.5m from Twente, that's hardly glam is it? He's being talked up now because he's done well. Let's say we replace him with Diame and he does just as well for us as Tiote has, why wouldn't the top clubs be interested? Because he came from Wigan? Man United paid £16m for a Wigan player a few years ago.

Replacing Carroll with Ba is looking like an astute move at present, but I can't understand why you would believe that if he continues to play games for us and ends up with 20 goals this season, the top clubs wouldn't be interested. The only way they wouldn't be interested in any player is if they're not that good.

Really can't fathom your reasoning here, sorry.

Understand TT's plan, but think the risk involved is unnecessary/too damn high.

The reliance placed on our scouting network to find bargain/untapped like-for-like replacements of crucial cogs in our team (Colos, Tiotes etc) would be too much. [/iMO]