Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Keegan and Burley thought he had 'a great game' up until arsenals 3rd. Wtf?

He was great until that moment, no point questioning that.

I must have watched a different game. He was decent in the early stages of the game, and fell apart massively..

Wasn't 'great' at any point today imo, far, far from it.

Guest neesy111

Keegan and Burley thought he had 'a great game' up until arsenals 3rd. Wtf?

He was great until that moment, no point questioning that.

I must have watched a different game. He was decent in the early stages of the game, and fell apart massively..

Wasn't 'great' at any point today imo, far, far from it.

This was my view of him in the game tbh.

I wrote sell him during the game. I was furious with him. A bit over the top, but he was a liability imo. He gave away/lost the Ball 3-4-5 times in évry dangerous positions. Not sure how many resulted in goals? Their 4th was him losing it to easy!

Needs to shape up. He cannot keep giving away chances like that!!!!

Now looks completely unreliable under pressure, which is the worst attribute to have playing in his position. Plays with his head down, the opposite to Bigi. Bigi plays poor passes but they're usually when he's trying to make something happen going forward and is in the opponents half. Tiote loses it when he's closed down in our half, much more dangerous.

Bigi showed him how it's done today. Cheiks distribution and mistake for the 3rd (or 4th?) goal was unforgivable. Bigirimana and Anita together please.

Do we have any stats on how many interceptions Tiote and Bigi both made? As I noticed Tiote made a few of these yet not sure how many Bigi did.

People who are selling sell him - how much do you think that we would get for him? Also do you really think we will bring a replacement in? Don't say Bigi either as our squad isn't good enough to do so. Another thing is that Bigi is still only young and he does look a very good prospect, yet he's still unproven at this level whereas Tiote is.

Yes he is out of form, as have many of our other supposed big name players this season too. Before everybody was giving Tiote their full vitriol it was Cabaye earlier on in the season. There has to be much more than the "he's a liability" drivel that has been spouted on here.

Good post. Tiote is getting caught in possession in dangerous areas no doubt, and it's something that needs to be addressed. But to become a proper footballing side we need MORE players who are willing to play the ball out from defence even if the transition period is painful. 

I wrote sell him during the game. I was furious with him. A bit over the top, but he was a liability imo. He gave away/lost the Ball 3-4-5 times in évry dangerous positions. Not sure how many resulted in goals? Their 4th was him losing it to easy!

Needs to shape up. He cannot keep giving away chances like that!!!!

this.

Bigi showed him how it's done today. Cheiks distribution and mistake for the 3rd (or 4th?) goal was unforgivable. Bigirimana and Anita together please.

Do we have any stats on how many interceptions Tiote and Bigi both made? As I noticed Tiote made a few of these yet not sure how many Bigi did.

People who are selling sell him - how much do you think that we would get for him? Also do you really think we will bring a replacement in? Don't say Bigi either as our squad isn't good enough to do so. Another thing is that Bigi is still only young and he does look a very good prospect, yet he's still unproven at this level whereas Tiote is.

Yes he is out of form, as have many of our other supposed big name players this season too. Before everybody was giving Tiote their full vitriol it was Cabaye earlier on in the season. There has to be much more than the "he's a liability" drivel that has been spouted on here.

Good post. Tiote is getting caught in possession in dangerous areas no doubt, and it's something that needs to be addressed. But to become a proper footballing side we need MORE players who are willing to play the ball out from defence even if the transition period is painful. 

I think he is very lazy though even if he is trying to play it about more. He is very dangerous making just simple passes.

I think he is very lazy though even if he is trying to play it about more. He is very dangerous making just simple passes.

He's trying to play the right way though. I saw Bigirimana play some mis-directed passes today, but overall he still had a decent game. Tiote definitely is giving the ball away in some dangerous areas, but if the alternative is hoofing the ball down the pitch then I am prepared to accept that in the belief we'll improve as a team in the long run.

I really, really don't mind him trying to keep possesion and moving it around on the floor but as said there are 10 yard, simple passes where he doesn't look up/plays it too short etc.. that get us into trouble a player at this level shouldn't be making these mistakes. I can only conclude he is too confident in his ability and is just assuming the ball will get there so isn't thinking enough about it.

The misplaced passes in our half aren't adventurous, they're just sloppy.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Drogba tips Tiote to become Magpies legend

Nov 29 2010 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

CHELSEA star Didier Drogba today told the Toon Army: “You have one hell of a player on your hands in Cheik Tiote.”

And in an exclusive interview with the Chronicle, Drogba has tipped Newcastle United’s midfield dynamo to go on and be a Premier League legend.

The words of the Ivory Coast World Cup ace – who drew a blank in the 1-1 draw at Gallowgate – are praise indeed for the 24-year-old, with the usually evasive Drogba not someone who would normally bask in the media limelight.

But Drogba made his feelings clear before leaving Tyneside and said: “Cheik is a very good player, he played very well against us at St James’ Park and did well for his team.

“For the Ivory Coast he is a very important player for us as people saw in the World Cup for our national team.

“I think Newcastle United supporters have only seen half of his potential so far.

“You have only seen half the player.

“I say that because the more he plays in the Premier League at first-team level the better he will become.”

Tiote was desperate to face his idol Michael Essien yesterday, but the Stamford Bridge man was suspended.

The ex-FC Twente player picked up man of the match honours again on his own return from the sin bin.

Now Drogba, who has won 10 medals since arriving on the Premier League scene six years ago, thinks there were will be much more to come.

He said: “I think he is going to go on and be one of the strongest players in this league.

“I have to say that physically he is a bit stronger than me.

“And that means he will a lot better for it.

“Newcastle well and truly have a star player on their hands and the fans should be pleased.”

Drogba was satisfied with a point for the champions at St James’, but Newcastle fans were sweating when he rattled the ball past Tim Krul late on.

Drogba explained why it had not stood, he said: “The goal was a handball.

“I wasn’t fouled but the reason I was disappointed was because two minutes before there was an action when I tried to cross and the defender touched it with his hand.

“But he didn’t give it, so that’s why I disappointed.

“We created a lot of chances.

“The problem was Newcastle scored so early in the game.

“Then we had to chase and it means you leave more space and you create more fatigue.

“That then makes it difficult to create the opportunities you do get.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2010/11/29/drogba-tips-tiote-to-become-magpies-legend-72703-27735631/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz16fakcaYo

@OptaJoe 99 - Cheik Tiote attempted more passes today than any other player ever from a visiting Premier League team at the Emirates Stadium. Pass.

Yeah. Attempted.

Completed most of them

His problem is holding onto the ball too long, for the goal he could have played a simple pass to Bigi instead he held onto it and lost it

@OptaJoe 99 - Cheik Tiote attempted more passes today than any other player ever from a visiting Premier League team at the Emirates Stadium. Pass.

Yeah. Attempted.

As I said earlier in the thread, the completion rate was still about 90%. Unfortunately the 10% tend to be in the worst possible areas of the field.

Anyway, his distribution certainly wasn't his biggest problem today. He just didn't look arsed.

Yeah. Attempted.

90% completion tbh.

His passing wasn't the problem, it was dwelling on the ball and being caught in possession.

I really, really don't mind him trying to keep possesion and moving it around on the floor but as said there are 10 yard, simple passes where he doesn't look up/plays it too short etc.. that get us into trouble a player at this level shouldn't be making these mistakes. I can only conclude he is too confident in his ability and is just assuming the ball will get there so isn't thinking enough about it.

The misplaced passes in our half aren't adventurous, they're just sloppy.

I think that's just an attitude problem which suggests a lack of direction from the manager.