Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

He did some sort of roll back/backheel in the first half where he clearly wasn't paying attention to where anyone was, it ended up harmlessly bobbling to our player (can't remember who) but it was the sort of "fancy" stuff he has tried a few times this season with a few of them going wrong.

It is needless stuff like that and the failure to make simple passes that have made me lose all faith in him. I will probably feel a little less strongly tomorrow but I don't think he would be a huge loss unless he sorts himself out.

If he sorts himself out is he a huge loss? I'm fed up of advocates of passing football talking about us giving Tiote more chances. On his best day he's a midfield destroyer that slows down play, gives away stupid fouls and offers about as much attacking threat as Amdy Faye.

If he sorts himself out he is definitely an asset to the squad. If the team had confidence in him and we had a manager who wanted to play football he would also allow the more talented players a bit more freedom.

At the moment Cabaye needs to sit right by him because there is the very likely danger he is going to pass it to an opposition player so Cabaye cannot commit himself too far forward.

Isn't that what I said?

When he was at his best for us his passing accuracy was one of the highest in the league. A player who can sit, break up play and be trusted to play it simple would be a good compliment to a side with a lot of attack minded players (Say Cisse, Cabaye, Sissoko, Ben Arfa and Gouffran). Especially in games against better opposition.

His passing accuracy when he joined was scarily high for a while. When we beat Arsenal at the Emirates, it was 100% iirc. So glad Pardew has tried to make him "our Essien".

Isn't that what I said?

When he was at his best for us his passing accuracy was one of the highest in the league. A player who can sit, break up play and be trusted to play it simple would be a good compliment to a side with a lot of attack minded players (Say Cisse, Cabaye, Sissoko, Ben Arfa and Gouffran). Especially in games against better opposition.

At his best he can't handle being pressured on the ball. He's been totally figured out.

Isn't that what I said?

At his best he can't handle being pressured on the ball. He's been totally figured out.

He shouldn't have the ball long enough to be pressured.

Isn't that what I said?

He shouldn't have the ball long enough to be pressured.

You're right, because he shouldn't be in the team with such a limited ability.

He just needs to be told to keep it simple. It just comes to show that bigging him up was the worst thing to do, more great management techniques from the Pardew Book of Management.

he was piss poor today even when arsenal gave him freedom,  i was actually shocked at how much space arsene wenger's players gave him.

one thing that every opposition manager knows now is if you put pressure on tiote i.e close him down, he revert to type and do his usual macho man bullshit, step on the ball holding on to it twist and turn and then lose the ball or give it away.

i still think he has that certain quality in him he does have that capability but is not showing for whatever reasons.  Same goes for Cabaye for most of this season.

Guest bimpy474

God, those passes straight to the oppo :(

and that simple 10 yard pass that ended up in row z of the east stand

Oh god yeah, i thought he was wellies at one stage.