Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

It's one of the symptoms of running a club with the primary aim of preserving the balance sheet for so long. Especially when you compound that approach with scouting that completely neglects the type of personalities being signed. Remember KK and Bobby especially both saying first and foremost 'sign good people'. It sounds overly romanticised in 2017 but there's still an awful lot of truth to it.

• 2 weeks later...

He's a much better player than Colback, I don't know why we don't use him.

He could help us get promoted and then leave on a free. We're going to sell him for next to nowt and it's an area we are light in.

All of these 'stay but don't play' money grabbing fuckers make me sick. Irrespective of the club they are at. What a shameful waste of talent, you're a long time retired and I sincerely hope the slightly more comfortable financial position they secure does not in any way compensate them for the regrets they have about the additional games/seasons they could have been a regular first team player (somewhere).

He's a much better player than Colback, I don't know why we don't use him.

He could help us get promoted and then leave on a free. We're going to sell him for next to nowt and it's an area we are light in.

Maybe something has changed (I have not watched much this season at all), but this has not bee true at any point during Colback's tenure here, imo. Tiote has been a shadow of himself when he is actually fit for selection (which is rarely). His fall from the heights of being an effective Premier League player is remarkable.

All of these 'stay but don't play' money grabbing f***ers make me sick. Irrespective of the club they are at. What a shameful waste of talent, you're a long time retired and I sincerely hope the slightly more comfortable financial position they secure does not in any way compensate them for the regrets they have about the additional games/seasons they could have been a regular first team player (somewhere).

They have no regrets whatsoever, I guarantee you. :lol: A bad contract is not the fault of the player.

Can we not pay up his contract? Doesn't deserve it but at least will get him away from the club.

Might as well keep him until it runs out at the end of the season and have him as cover.

Wouldn't even want him as cover.

Can we not pay up his contract? Doesn't deserve it but at least will get him away from the club.

Might as well keep him until it runs out at the end of the season and have him as cover.

Wouldn't even want him as cover.

We have to pay him either way, Rafa will only use him if he has to, otherwise he's clearly finished here.

Guest neesy111

Perhaps stop giving contracts to players who nobody else wants? Only a couple days ago folk were suggesting we extend Sammy's time here. :lol:

I suspect these long contracts were a desire to make our balance sheet look better than what it is.

http://www.nufcblog.org/2011/03/amortisation-and-how-it-affects-a-football-clubs-profit-figures/#.WIiQx1OLQuU

Perhaps stop giving contracts to players who nobody else wants? Only a couple days ago folk were suggesting we extend Sammy's time here. :lol:

Tiote was in demand when we gave him a new contract, it was during or immediately after the season we finished 5th from what I recall.

Guest neesy111

Tiote was in demand when we gave him a new contract, it was during or immediately after the season we finished 5th from what I recall.

It was the season before, just a few weeks after that 4-4 goal.

Demand from who? If we'd got any half decent offer for him he'd have been gone.

Demand from who? If we'd got any half decent offer for him he'd have been gone.

I'm not spending £72m on this lot: Sir Alex anger at being quoted £32m for Modric, £20m for Tiote and £20m for Baines!

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2153861/Manchester-United-quoted-32m-Modric--20m-Tiote-20m-Baines.html#ixzz4WmCEUGEV

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook