Newcastle United 6 - 0 Aston Villa - 22/08/10 - post match reaction from page 36

Dave

Guest elbee909

lol at the bbc comment

1408: This is not a misprint: Newcastle 3-0 Aston Villa.

Shows how far we've fallen. I've seen us hammer Villa umpteen times at SJP.

It's funny really.  Get beaten away to Man Utd - because that NEVER happens to the top teams, does it? - and we're crap apparently.

Sterling performance by the TEAM. It's the TEAM what's winning this for us right now. Immense plaudits must go to Hughton for proving the naysayers (including myself) wrong. Some worrying signs with Perch and Barton in the book already, we'll need to play tightly for much of the second half, because Villa must surely be set to make a comeback in the second half.

Fuck me, did that just happen? :lol:

Also, I'd love to have been at the team meeting when Chris Hughton said: "Right lads, I've made a decision. I'm bringing it back: The High Defensive Line"

I mean, really Chris. Young is fast as fuck, it'll be a miracle if it doesn't cost us a goal. Still though, can't believe how good we've been going forward, if Routledge was having a good game we'd have created even more.

lol at the bbc comment

1408: This is not a misprint: Newcastle 3-0 Aston Villa.

Shows how far we've fallen. I've seen us hammer Villa umpteen times at SJP.

Shearer goal after Rob Lee's pass i think  :smitten: :smitten:

Guest firetotheworks

Allow me to be one of the many to say 'FUCKING HELL!!!!'

Enrique and Carroll man.

Enrique does the same thing all the time. It works because he's just a fucking best. It's amazing, and I'll never, ever get sick of watching him do it.

Not to put a damper on it, but it's probably the luckiest 3-0 I've ever seen so far. If there is such a thing. They missed a penalty, and weren't offside. Harper hasn't covered himself in glory, and the tactics shouldn't be working. Routledge also needs to play it first time.

I think a special mention for Perch is in order, he's played very well so far. I hope he continues to prove me wrong.

That aside, fuck it. Press for another, and then hold on for the win.

So relieved we didn't concede before halftime. Absolutely massive.

Barton makes such a huge difference to our midfield it's crazy. He's running things in there.

Hughton has also clearly worked on our short passing a fair bit. It's not always perfect, but we're not afraid to try and play the ball around a bit.

Guest elbee909

Nice 18 page thread about this match on RTG. Fucking idiots.

will check it out, wonder what shit they are attempting to stir.

I'm sure it's meaningless, because, y'know Villa don't have a manager and all that.

It's so frustrating, I just don't know what a professional manager can see Smith and Nolan offering to that line-up.

To answer my own question, they're not great individual players but they've been playing together with the team for a long time and I'd be surprised if we'd have the same understanding, movement and fluency if you just replaced them with better players straight away.

I'm very surprised we're still able to move the ball about as slick as we do.

So, I suppose I do see the merit. Not entirely sure I agree with it going forward in the future, but after a mere half of football I'm kneejerkingly willing to eat humble pie and admit that there is at least one reason why they might deserve a starting berth.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Carroll & Enrique have been immense.

Hopefully we'll play it simple and contain in the second half. I'm buzzin'!