Newcastle United 6 - 0 Aston Villa - 22/08/10 - post match reaction from page 36

Dave

Wiki:

A professor of applied linguistics of Newcastle University stated that if a second 's' was added to the name, it has to ultimately be pronounced in speech.[34]  The BBC went on to state that according to the Apostrophe Protection Society, if the ground is named as the "Park of St James", the name of the ground is correctly written as St James's Park, with the second 's' pronounced.

Commenting on the written form on Radio Newcastle a week after the BBC story, a different senior lecturer in applied linguistics also of Newcastle University stated that if the name is to denote "the park of St James", the written form should feature an apostrophe, but the use of an additional 's' after it is optional and both are correct.

Ugh, not worth my time. Sacking off this project.

Should have just asked Dave.  :lol:

finally found some wlan to post sth again...

so happy i've choosen that match to be at sjp. my 2nd match there, 2nd win and the 2nd time that the opposition team misses a pen.  :)

will be back @home tonight with some proper internet again.

Quite the match to come over for! I assume it was a worthwhile trip

Aye, definitely. Great performance and to be in the stadium for that match, I'll surely remember it for a long time. 

I even got the match ball into my hands at the end of the match and threw it back to Barton.  :smitten: :lol:

Just watched MOTD2. Fucking Robbie Savage.

I listened to the game on 5 live last week and he was going on about how shit we were, how we needed 10 new players before the start of he season and we'd go down blah blah blah.

Then he sits there and says 'they may still go down'. Dick

We might.

Just watched MOTD2. f***ing Robbie Savage.

I listened to the game on 5 live last week and he was going on about how s*** we were, how we needed 10 new players before the start of he season and we'd go down blah blah blah.

Then he sits there and says 'they may still go down'. Dick

We might.

We've got 3pts already, that may well be enough this season. :lol:

I doubt he's disputing that, it was more the way Savage went on and what he was basing his opinion on originally.  Which was our games against Derby and Manure.  The blokes a ludicrous ponce.

Newcastle United marked the return of Premier League football to St James's Park

:kinnear:

To be fair, no-one really has a clue if the extra S should be there or not

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7426717.stm

If the word naturally ends in an S...you just have apostrophe with no following S. The club have it correctly written at the ground.

Not sure why all the supposed champions of grammar struggle with it (BBC & Papers).

Because, as with many things in the English language, it's not as cut and dried as you'd like to believe - even if we weren't talking about a proper noun which doesn't have to necessarily follow standard conventions anyway.

I can't think of any situation where a word in singular-form ends in "s" and an apostrophe-"s" shouldn't be added to the end of it. Omitting the final "s" is optional in informal writing but I wouldn't say that was the case in formal writing... :dontknow:

Hughton 8 - I disagreed with his line up, but i was clearly wrong.

Harper- 5- Unusually poor. Made a few mistakes and the penalty was a clanger.

Perch- 7- Have been a critic, but credit where credits due he played well. Lets hope it continues.

Williamson- 8 - Really good game had carew his pocket.

Coloccini-7  Good game as usual

Enrique- 9- Fantastic again. Solid at the back and caused big problems with his surging runs.

Routledge- 7- Poor crossing at times but his pace was a constant thorn in Villas side.

Smith- 7- Not usually a fan but he was effective.

Barton- 9- Screamer of an all important opening goal and a passionate display. Great game. Unlucky not to be MOM really.

Jonas- 7- Came alive more in the second half and caused them big problems, defended and linked up well too.

Nolan- 8- Crucially lacks pace for someone playing in the role he does behind Carroll, two goals however, positionally brilliant, intelligent runs and full of effort

Carroll- 10- Awesome - Scored three and involved in two or three of the others. Very happy he silenced his critics for now. Fantastic start.

Maybe I have a short memory but that was the best I've seen Smith play for us. He was like a completely different player from the one that played last week - I mean, Smith being mobile and offering himself for the ball, and not making silly lunging tackles?

Perch- 7- Have been a critic, but credit where credits due he played well. Lets hope it continues.

Enrique- 9- Fantastic again. Solid at the back and caused big problems with his surging runs.

Routledge- 7- Poor crossing at times but his pace was a constant thorn in Villas side.

Barton- 9- Screamer of an all important opening goal and a passionate display. Great game. Unlucky not to be MOM really.

Jonas- 7- Came alive more in the second half and caused them big problems, defended and linked up well too.

Nolan- 8- Crucially lacks pace for someone playing in the role he does behind Carroll, two goals however, positionally brilliant, intelligent runs and full of effort

Carroll- 10- Awesome - Scored three and involved in two or three of the others. Very happy he silenced his critics for now. Fantastic start.

Maybe I have a short memory but that was the best I've seen Smith play for us. He was like a completely different player from the one that played last week - I mean, Smith being mobile and offering himself for the ball, and not making silly lunging tackles?

If Smith played like that every game since he joined we'd have never had been relegated, the line was so thin so having a player like that all season would have been huge. (there's a load of if's and nicky butts i know)

I doubt he's disputing that, it was more the way Savage went on and what he was basing his opinion on originally.  Which was our games against Derby and Manure.  The blokes a ludicrous ponce.

It´s unbelievable that he can be an expert, hate it! He´s not an expert just some random supporter that happened to be a player.

This result is taking over my life, man.

My little girl has 6 scoops of formula in her bottles and instead of doing the usual 1..2..3..4..5..6, I resorted, this morning, to counting them in a more novel way - Barton..Nolan..Carroll..Carroll..Nolan..Carroll

:aww:

This result is taking over my life, man.

My little girl has 6 scoops of formula in her bottles and instead of doing the usual 1..2..3..4..5..6, I resorted, this morning, to counting them in a more novel way - Barton..Nolan..Carroll..Carroll..Nolan..Carroll

:aww:

:lol:

Some pictures I've taken at the match. Hope they aren't too large.

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/5700/p1120063b.jpg

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/1184/p1120090.jpg

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/2225/p1120096.jpg http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/2816/p1120101.jpg http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/8548/p1120115.jpg

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/6914/p1120124.jpg http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/7152/p1120126m.jpg

If Smith played like that every game since he joined we'd have never had been relegated, the line was so thin so having a player like that all season would have been huge. (there's a load of if's and nicky butts i know)

He was injured most of the season and only started 4 league games, but it seems people love to include him in the players they blame for relegation.  :mystery: