Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Steven's disappointed to learn he was placed on the transfer list through a third party.

Bad form if that's true like.

There's every chance he was told he would be sold if he didn't lower his demands.

I can't believe that anyone genuinely thinks he should be paid 60k a week.

Exactly, he's had over 6 years in the first team and the only thing he'd be remembered for if he was sold tomorrow is being that local lad who had potential. He's not even worth £30k.

Id remember the commitment he showed during our relegation season. If some of his highly paid colleagues had shown an ounce of his drive and determination wed have stayed up.

Taylor was absolutely abysmal in the first half of our relegation season.

Steven's disappointed to learn he was placed on the transfer list through a third party.

Maybe he didn't want to go to the first two parties because he knew Carroll would be there?

:lol: :thup:

Dont entirely blame him - he sees the likes of Smith, Barton, Nolan earning that amount of money and rightly believes he should get paid as much as them since he has offered as much if not more to the club

BUT the club seems to have adopted a new wage policy which is a good thing - paying daft money for players who dont do fuck all should be a thing of the past

Also Taylor's has spent a lot of time on the sidelines of late so cant justify paying him £60k a week

I hope he sees sense and accepts less money as I would prefer to keep him as we wont get much money for him

Taylor's a decent premiership defender at this point - he was very hit and miss, a bit like bramble, when he was younger, but i felt he was ok during the relegation season, and looked very strong when he played last season. If were being honest there is very little separating Williamson, Taylor and Coloccini in terms of premiership class, while Kadar is inexperienced and untested and Campbell is an aged loon.

I'd also have to argue that Taylor is better than the likes of Simpson or Perch at RB, he can afford to be take more defensive risks out there and is almost as good as Enrique at bringing the ball forward (though his delivery, like Beye before him, is that of a centre-half). So if he leaves we're in a lesser position without any guarantee the funds would be reinvested.

Considering he is only 24, english, good physically and has a decent reputation i reckon we'd be looking at around £7m-£8m in normal circumstances. But with the contract running down we may only receive £3m-£4m. if we can go out and bring in someone like Boyata or Wilson for less then it's good business, especially in the light that Taylor has become increasingly injury prone due to a dodgy shoulder (thanks souness).

But the other question this raises is bigger than taylor himself and leaves me wondering just how we are going to conduct contract negotiations in the future - with the likes of Carroll or Enrique or even Hughton himself. this could well be a precursor to further trouble ahead. i dont know where the 60k figure comes from but it would not surprise me in the slightest if that comes from the upper echelons at SJP in order to paint taylor in a negative light.

Guest malandro

The club doesn't do itself many favours, and it sounds just our style.

It’s a good way of selling players without being accused of being a selling club.

How can the media say that his loyalty to the club cannot be questioned if he's asking for a wage increase with no justification that the club can't/won't afford?

Doesn't make sense.

Guest firetotheworks

Dont entirely blame him - he sees the likes of Smith, Barton, Nolan earning that amount of money and rightly believes he should get paid as much as them since he has offered as much if not more to the club

BUT the club seems to have adopted a new wage policy which is a good thing - paying daft money for players who dont do f*** all should be a thing of the past

Also Taylor's has spent a lot of time on the sidelines of late so cant justify paying him £60k a week

I hope he sees sense and accepts less money as I would prefer to keep him as we wont get much money for him

Source for Nolan earning that? The other two are moot, because they were signed under Shepherd.

BUT the club seems to have adopted a new wage policy which is a good thing - paying daft money for players who dont do f*** all should be a thing of the past

Source for Nolan earning that? The other two are moot, because they were signed under Shepherd.

They weren't though.

Exactly, he's had over 6 years in the first team and the only thing he'd be remembered for if he was sold tomorrow is being that local lad who had potential. He's not even worth £30k.

I’d remember the commitment he showed during our relegation season. If some of his highly paid colleagues had shown an ounce of his drive and determination we’d have stayed up.

Yep, drive and determination counts for little when you aren't very good.

Guest guinness_fiend

Hope we get decent money for him.  I am struggling to remember the time when he wasn't unreliable and error prone, as well as (allegedly) trying to engineer a move away from the club.

Guest firetotheworks

They weren't though.

Oh fucking hell, aye.  :lol:

They weren't though.

Barton was. Well Shepherd was still Chairman.

I stand corrected - it was £50k not £60k

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1187448/Meltdown-Newcastle-8217-s-71m-wage-nightmare--stay.html

The point still stands re. Barton and Smith

Guest malandro

Id remember the commitment he showed during our relegation season. If some of his highly paid colleagues had shown an ounce of his drive and determination wed have stayed up.

Yep, drive and determination counts for little when you aren't very good.

Cuts both ways. Ability counts for little when you give up when the going gets tough, as our relegation season proved.

They weren't though.

Barton was.

It was a weird one, happened at basically the same time as the takeover. You can't say the Ashley regime had no say in the transfer though.

I’d remember the commitment he showed during our relegation season. If some of his highly paid colleagues had shown an ounce of his drive and determination we’d have stayed up.

If he's so committed he'll sign a new contract at Newcastle rather than look for a bumper pay packet somewhere else.

If he's so committed he'll sign a new contract at Newcastle rather than look for a bumper pay packet somewhere else.

Will someone else give him £60k a week? I doubt it

He is better off staying here, getting himself fit and trying to get back into the side

They weren't though.

Barton was.

It was a weird one, happened at basically the same time as the takeover. You can't say the Ashley regime had no say in the transfer though.

Aye, hence my edit, Ashley owned the club but Shepherd was still working as Chairman. Doesn't really matter.

Taylor's a decent premiership defender at this point - he was very hit and miss, a bit like bramble, when he was younger, but i felt he was ok during the relegation season, and looked very strong when he played last season. If were being honest there is very little separating Williamson, Taylor and Coloccini in terms of premiership class, while Kadar is inexperienced and untested and Campbell is an aged loon.

I'd also have to argue that Taylor is better than the likes of Simpson or Perch at RB, he can afford to be take more defensive risks out there and is almost as good as Enrique at bringing the ball forward (though his delivery, like Beye before him, is that of a centre-half). So if he leaves we're in a lesser position without any guarantee the funds would be reinvested.

Considering he is only 24, english, good physically and has a decent reputation i reckon we'd be looking at around £7m-£8m in normal circumstances. But with the contract running down we may only receive £3m-£4m. if we can go out and bring in someone like Boyata or Wilson for less then it's good business, especially in the light that Taylor has become increasingly injury prone due to a dodgy shoulder (thanks souness).

But the other question this raises is bigger than taylor himself and leaves me wondering just how we are going to conduct contract negotiations in the future - with the likes of Carroll or Enrique or even Hughton himself. this could well be a precursor to further trouble ahead. i dont know where the 60k figure comes from but it would not surprise me in the slightest if that comes from the upper echelons at SJP in order to paint taylor in a negative light.

That's a good point, but I think Taylor is jumping the gun here. Until we've had a season of relative stability in the Premier we aren't going to be handing out big contracts as if we were qualifying for Europe every year. Once we've stabilised and actually started getting some success I'm sure all squad members will start to see that reflected in their salaries.

Guest malandro

He probably would if he was offered what he thinks he’s worth, whatever that may be. As yet we don’t know.

I have mixed feelings. I'm not sure I believe that Taylor is demanding 60K-- he may well be, but I think that recent performances by Williamson and Perch and the signing of Campbell have convinced the club that Taylor is expendable.  Like a lot of people here, I've had a chance to watch the Villa game a few times and Williamson was excellent (yeah, one game, one game). At this point I'd much prefer Williamson-Colo to any lineup featuring Taylor at CB. An Perch has been decent-- a bit off the first half against Man Utd, but I'm not holding that against him.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bit about him demanding 60K is a move by the club to facilitate his sale by turning the fans against a "greedy" player.  The instant response, here at least, has been to get rid. Had we been on the end of 6 nil thrashing I don't think that any of us would be in favor of offloading an injured defender.

I suspect that there must be something to the rumors regarding problems with Taylor's personality and rest of the team. So maybe he is a disruptive influence and the team spirit would benefit from seeing him gone.

Still we have to look at him as an asset and I'm not sure that this is the right time to sell. I'd be in full support of the sale if 1) we can get a good price for him and 2) use that money to buy another player.  The problem is that Man City aside nobody is  spending silly money right now for players. I was shocked when Villa paid what they did for Milner and can't believe the money Man City paid for him. Surely, nobody in their right mind would stump more than 4m for Taylor. The fact that Taylor is English and has potential (still) means that his value could go up astronomically especially with the homegrown rule in place. Someone mentioned that he's a player that needs to get away from Newcastle to reach his potential and that strikes me as right.

Let's get a sell on fee this time OK?

He's a liability, would take £8m for him now.

Only problem is, that if Campbell is for 1 season, maybes 2, and Colo is the clown he is, it only leaves us with 2 CD's - Williamson and Kadar long term, meaning some more free transfer signings will need to be made.