Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Newcastle United have today placed defender Steven Taylor on the transfer list.

Anyone wishing to purchase Steven should contact the club via email at [email protected]

The Club will be making no further comment at this time.

Strange.

I was expecting something like:

"If you're interested in Steven, please email us at [email protected]..."

4 seconds. :snod:

:angry:  :lol:

I wonder what goes on in his mind for him to think he deserves 60K a week from this club. If he fulfils his potential and becomes a good premier league defender, then yes, he deserves 60K a week. At the minute? You have to be fucking joking.

What a greedy little cunt.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Is 3 good enough centre halves enough for a premier league campaign?

That's the key question. Are the youngsters good enough if needs be?

Coloccini is playing well at present but struggled under pressure last time.

Williamson is a newcomer to the league, albeit with a promising start.

Campbell may be too slow, injury prone and is clearly mentally unstable.

Who's next in line if Taylor goes? Perch?

Kadar should be back soon.

Tavernier can play CB.

Jeff Henderson seems to be highly regarded, and I can see him making the step up.

Good teams are often built around homegrown players. You'll struggle to find many examples of top teams built entirely on imports.

Arsenal 2001-Present

Real Madrid - Countless times

Inter Milan - Its entire history

That's not many examples, like I said.

Besides, Real Madrid spent a fortune on imports and were beaten to the title by a team of homegrown Barca players. Inter spent years in AC Milan's shadow and are largely considered a team that has underachieved.

Guest Geordiecunny

My only concern is with our other defenders because I can't see any other defenders at the club who are both proven and likely to hang around for a number of years.

I can't see Colo knocking around for the rest of his career, maybe another 3 years or so. Williamson seems to have real quality and could be someone who's one good season away from a big move. Campbell, aside from questions over his fitness, isn't a long term player: 2 years tops. Kadar and Tavernier are totally unproven and Perch is primarily a full back.

So whilst it isn't a disaster, I can see it meaning that we need to bring someone of real quality and experience in in a couple of years time- and if Ashley is still in charge this means trying do so for a maximum of £3m or so.

Taylor isn't anymore likely to hang around then anyone else though is he?, this situations proves that.  Coloccini may or not not end his career here but if he doesn't we should get a fee.  Also if you're worrying that Williamson might get a big move somewhere else that also provides cash to spend a hell of a lot more then £3m on new defenders.  Its nonsense to say that if Ashley's still here we can't expect to buy a player for more then £3m no matter what the situation.  Plus Williamson cost about £1m didn't he?

I'd be very very surprised if Ashley ever spends more than £3-4m on any player again. Besides, anyone coming in for more than that might expect 60k type wages and this situation surely proves that we don't pay that.

Good teams are often built around homegrown players. You'll struggle to find many examples of top teams built entirely on imports.

Arsenal 2001-Present

Real Madrid - Countless times

Inter Milan - Its entire history

That's not many examples, like I said.

Besides, Real Madrid spent a fortune on imports and were beaten to the title by a team of homegrown Barca players. Inter spent years in AC Milan's shadow and are largely considered a team that has underachieved.

Home grown players are great if they are of the necessary quality. That's no justification for paying them inflated wages if they aren't.

Unless we get 4-5million i wouldnt sell him.

I would take £2-3 million to sell him before the dealine, better than him going for nowt in the summer. Most interested clubs would be thinking this as well given his injury status. As long as we find a decent replacement, i would be happy.

its a shame but hes not worth what hes asking, take away the local player status and the fist pumping and hes no better than Williamson, was looking forward to seeing if he would develop by playing/training with Campbell, but Money is obviously more importent to him than that,

My only concern is with our other defenders because I can't see any other defenders at the club who are both proven and likely to hang around for a number of years.

I can't see Colo knocking around for the rest of his career, maybe another 3 years or so. Williamson seems to have real quality and could be someone who's one good season away from a big move. Campbell, aside from questions over his fitness, isn't a long term player: 2 years tops. Kadar and Tavernier are totally unproven and Perch is primarily a full back.

So whilst it isn't a disaster, I can see it meaning that we need to bring someone of real quality and experience in in a couple of years time- and if Ashley is still in charge this means trying do so for a maximum of £3m or so.

Taylor isn't anymore likely to hang around then anyone else though is he?, this situations proves that.  Coloccini may or not not end his career here but if he doesn't we should get a fee.  Also if you're worrying that Williamson might get a big move somewhere else that also provides cash to spend a hell of a lot more then £3m on new defenders.  Its nonsense to say that if Ashley's still here we can't expect to buy a player for more then £3m no matter what the situation.  Plus Williamson cost about £1m didn't he?

I'd be very very surprised if Ashley ever spends more than £3-4m on any player again. Besides, anyone coming in for more than that might expect 60k type wages and this situation surely proves that we don't pay that.

Proves nothing of the sort, just that we don't think Taylor is worth that.

Guest Roger Kint

Sell him for £5m, buy Curtis Davies for £4m, spend £1m on pies and hookers. Everyone's a winner!

Not a bad shout actually especially the extra £1m paid out. Extra height too.

He would be a decent CB option for a mid-table Premier League team.

He would be an excellent CB for a Championship club.

He would not sniff the pitch for a top 7 club.

And he wants 60K/week.  Absolutely ludicrous.

Off to West Ham it is, then. 

Anything over 2 million I'd take gladly, especially if the alternative is paying 40k/week for the next 36 weeks then having him leave for nothing. 

And in terms of the contract stuff, the transition from a club paying stupidly high salaries to average players to paying average/below average salaries to young/upcoming players (with a few exceptions) was always going to be awkward for many.  I won't be surprised if there are a few others who have difficult negotiations due to the change in sea level.  C'est la vie.  Prudence can be difficult.