Steven Taylor

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Guest firetotheworks

FWIW, I've always thought that Taylor's marking from set-pieces is crap. I have no specific examples, simply because my memory for stuff like that is pretty shite.

NO Logic: Taylor's not even good in the air. MYM's only slightly shorter he's not much worse.

Reality: MYM doesn't even mark opponents aerial threats.

NO Logic: Steven Taylor makes blocks and last ditch tackles to make up for previous mistakes in positioning. MYM has a better footballing brain.

Reality: MYM often uses his pace to make up for his poor positional play. And if not that, he'll run away from trouble/physical duels.

As long as it's not Willo. Don't want to think about what Suarez will do to his nice hair.

I think we should play Taylor and Willo against Liverpool. No better way for them to prove that British spirit and physicality is key in the premier.

NO Logic: Taylor's not even good in the air. MYM's only slightly shorter he's not much worse.

Reality: MYM doesn't even mark opponents aerial threats.

NO Logic: Steven Taylor makes blocks and last ditch tackles to make up for previous mistakes in positioning. MYM has a better footballing brain.

Reality: MYM often uses his pace to make up for his poor positional play. And if not that, he'll run away from trouble/physical duels.

You make me feel like I know nothing about football all the time.

As long as it's not Willo. Don't want to think about what Suarez will do to his nice hair.

I think we should play Taylor and Willo against Liverpool. No better way for them to prove that British spirit and physicality is key in the premier.

:lol: I would actually love this.

Would be incredibly entertaining.

A lot of people on this forum talk like Taylor is crap at everything, even the things he's decent at. And say some shit like MYM not being much worse in that regard anyway so he should start.

Load of bollocks. Reminiscent of the Cisse excuses at the start of last season.

He's pretty good at pointing, ham acting when pretending not to have hand balled and playing up to the crowd.

Think it's pretty safe to assume any combination from our selection of centre backs are going to struggle against Sturridge and Suarez.

It will be a difficult contest, without a doubt, but we don't have to 'struggle'.

I'm not denying that a performance from a centre-back can be a gamechanger, nor would I absolve any defender of blame if they made a mistake that cost a goal - but there's so much onus on the defenders themselves. If we played well as a team, we could actually win the game and contain their forwards in the process. They're very good but hardly an unstoppable force.

Unfortunately, Pardew probably holds the mentality you've suggested.

• 2 weeks later...

He'll play.... doubt Colo will though we'll save him for City and Chelsea.

Sounds to me like both of them could probably do with another week's training under their belt, but Pards is going to take a chance on one of them for sure.

If he does play he'll be chomping at the bit. Hopefully he is fit though as we know how prone he is to breaking down.

My worry with him is he'll commendably always prefer to play through and be a hero rather than accepting he isn't fully fit and saying that he can't go on.

Sounds like one could play for 65-70 minutes and the other might come on for them later in the game.

Feel relaxed about this - think Taylor will give his all as usual if he plays. If not, I have no problems with Dummett against Altidore and co.