Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

Guest Rob 1988

Birmingham fail in move for striker - Sky Sports

Skysports.com understands Newcastle have rejected a bid from Birmingham for Shola Ameobi.

Birmingham are believed to have made a firm enquiry for Ameobi as they look to bolster their attacking options.

The Blues have been frustrated in their attempts to bring in a new forward this month after seeing moves for Kenny Miller and Robbie Keane fall through.

Alex McLeish turned his attentions to Ameobi, but Newcastle have informed Birmingham they have no intention of selling the 29-year-old.

The Magpies are keen to keep Ameobi at St James' Park with Andy Carroll currently on the sidelines and options limited for Alan Pardew in attack.

It means McLeish will have to go back to the drawing board as he continues his seach for striking reinforcements before the close of the transfer window next Monday

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_6701277,00.html

Definitely a good decision- Ranger may be better in the long run but after some of his performances of late I don't think he is anywhere near ready to lead the line yet. With Carroll injured, Shola is our best target man, which is a bit tragic, so we can't afford to lose him.

Guest Stephen927

He's worth more to us than £1.5m, good call. I don't think we could adequately replace him even if they doubled the bid.

He's our second best striker yes, but he is 29 and at the end stages of his career and his obviously not a top striker so i wouldn't mind if we sell him.