Shola Ameobi

Keefaz

Aye, think the super sub things suits him well.

He can spend 70 minutes sitting down instead of running and stuff. Of course it suits him.

Isn't that the point everyone has been making?  ???

He's vital in games like todays cos he's needed as unlike Ba and Cisse he holds up the ball and relieves the pressure.  This is of course balanced up with the fact Ba and Cisse have more of a goal threat. 

Shola was excellent when he came on although i'm not sure about him playing on the right wing every week!

Guest neesy111

This is how we should be utilising him. He's great for the last 20-30 minutes.

This also it suits our 2nd half hoof ball tactic when we are winning.

This is how we should be utilising him. He's great for the last 20-30 minutes.

This also it suits our 2nd half hoof ball tactic when we are winning.

Think the players looked short on confidence for 3 points, having thrown 4 away against Wolves and the m*ckems, they seemed genuinely relieved to get the win on the board at 90mins. Nae wonder they were subconsciously (or not) dropping deeper as 90minutes approached.

Probably wouldn't have had such an issue if we'd taken any of those first half chances (sounds familiar)

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/03/25/shola-ameobi-outstanding-says-alan-pardew-79310-30617692/

NEWCASTLE United boss Alan Pardew has hailed "outstanding" Shola Ameobi on the eve of the visit to the Hawthorns...

And admitted that he thinks the veteran Magpies striker should be starting more games for his side.

Newcastle travel to face West Brom in this afternoon’s live televised game with Ameobi having played his part off the bench in recent weeks.

But Pardew – who admitted that he thinks Ameobi is “an outstanding player” – says he owes the Nigerian- born hitman an apology for keeping him waiting in the wings.

“In this team I’m picking right now he should play. And I’m the manager,” the Newcastle boss said.

“But at the moment I’m trying to get Papiss (Cisse) some game time and I know that if he doesn’t start well or can’t pick up the pace, Shola’s on.”

Ameobi himself has revealed he could become frustrated at not getting more chance to aid the club’s bid for Europe.

“I’m a sportsman – I want to win, I want to play,” he said. “I’m still fighting every day to get back into the team. That won’t change.”

Sometimes Pardew bigs up our fringe players in public to boost their confidence. I don't mind him doing that, however, I believe that he genuinely thinks Shola is 'outstanding'. That alone is enough for me to lose faith in his ability. When Shola started at Fulham, Brighton and Blackburn he was abysmal. If Pardew cannot see that then he shouldn't be a football manager.

Sometimes Pardew bigs up our fringe players in public to boost their confidence. I don't mind him doing that, however, I believe that he genuinely thinks Shola is 'outstanding'. That alone is enough for me to lose faith in his ability. When Shola started at Fulham, Brighton and Blackburn he was abysmal. If Pardew cannot see that then he shouldn't be a football manager.

He's not a PL manager in terms of selections and rating players

He's been a good sub, he has held the ball up well and used it well. He used to be a nightmare for falling over and losing the ball between his legs, but he's been more consistent recently.

Ba and Cisse were too central today for the most part although Ba runs all over the shop he hasnt been dragging it into the corner for a cross recently.

This is crucial imo. They should ideally be taking turns in moving out into the channels, either to drag defenders and create space for the central man, or for putting crosses in should they receive the ball. Need to do this more often. In Ba and Cisse we have two lethal finishers and technically solid footballers. No reason they should be holding hands in the middle.

If he genuinely thought he was outstanding he would be starting every game. He is just boosting the lads confidence and keeping him happy while he is used as a sub and doing well in that role.

Sometimes Pardew bigs up our fringe players in public to boost their confidence. I don't mind him doing that, however, I believe that he genuinely thinks Shola is 'outstanding'. That alone is enough for me to lose faith in his ability.

He's behind Ba, Cisse (new to the league) and Best in Pardew's pecking order, man. He obviously doesn't think Shola's outstanding.

If he genuinely thought he was outstanding he would be starting every game. He is just boosting the lads confidence and keeping him happy while he is used as a sub and doing well in that role.

Yep, exactly :thup:

This isn't the first time Pardew's bigged up one of our squad players.

• 3 weeks later...

Loving his sub performances. Really really growing on me. Excellent player to bring in last 15-20min. If we are desperate to score his height will help us win balls upfront, if we are up he is excellent at holding the ball up. He just cant do it for 90 minutes. 15-20mins a game is fine for him.