Would you take 17th place right now ?

Guest palnese
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Roger Kint

Totally agree Jonny, can anyone explain how aiming for 17th is even possible? People seem to get wound up over this but dont read the question, naturally you go into each league game to try your best or get the best possible result with what you have. The idea that accepting 17th now = aiming low is stupid.

There is no point trying to aim to finish between 8th and 15th.  either aim for 5th-7th or aim for 16th. AIming low is risky tho.

However 13th is better than 18th !!

in reality our attack is just a tad blunt, to finish above 10th ??

You should be aiming to finish as high as possible and to collect as many points as possible, technicaly everyones in the league should be aiming for 1st, and then when thats mathematicaly impossible 2nd, then 3rd........ etc

Guest Tall Striker

Sometimes I don't think people remember we got relegated 15 months ago. 17th place what we need, anything else is a bonus. Survive this year, then look to push on.

What does 17th place mean?

For me it means that Ben Arfa fails. It means that Barton goes down (again). It means that Carroll's form tails off. It means that Enrique is injured. It means Hugton out; Kinnear some other clown it. It means a lot of crap goes wrong.

The side that was relegated 15 months ago was "too good to go down" went down because of shit management, poor team spirit, injuries, shit attittudes (our captain Mr. Owen), the "foul and distinct odor of mendacity", and a whole lot more.

I don't want to see any of that. No, 17th is not good enough. This squad and Chris Hughton is better than that.

Guest Tall Striker

For me it means that Ben Arfa fails. It means that Barton goes down (again). It means that Carroll's form tails off. It means that Enrique is injured. It means Hugton out; Kinnear some other clown it. It means a lot of crap goes wrong.

The side that was relegated 15 months ago was "too good to go down" went down because of s*** management, poor team spirit, injuries, s*** attittudes (our captain Mr. Owen), the "foul and distinct odor of mendacity", and a whole lot more.

I don't want to see any of that. No, 17th is not good enough. This squad and Chris Hughton is better than that.

The team went down because we didn't win enough games. Surely you're not suggesting the players are blamaless?

When I made the original thread a couple of years ago, I did it because I felt at the time we needed to lower our expectations. There were some people on here wh I don't think fully appreciated the effect that the backroom nonesense would have on the team on the pitch.

I don't think that's the case at all this year, so it's a different kinda of poll in a way. Personally what I think the clubs needs right now is positivity, expectations are low right now, as they should be but no reason at all why we can't hope for a little better than just survival. I'm confident we are better than at least 6 or 7 teams at the bottom this year, I was confident of that 2 years back too, but the diference is this year we don't have those distractions and there are not too many of the players that have left since then, that I really wish we still had.

17th means a dreadful season filled with little real excitement or good times other than the saving grace of not being quite as shit as the bottom 3.

I'll be disappointed if our season pans out like that.

Its a bit like when we got relegated. Most, me included, would have snapped someones hand off for guaranteed 6th place and a chance through the play-offs, then when we actually played we found the overall standard a bit crapier than expected so ended up revising our/my expectations upwards.

Fast forward a year and before kick-off for the 1st game most (again, me included) would probably have been happy with finishing 17th, but a couple of games in and seeing the teams that are expected to be bottom half then again like last season its not too optimistic to expect to be able to compete all the way to mid-table at least.

We may only be a competent team at present, but I fancy our chances of giving any team other than the top 6 or so a good game.

The side that was relegated 15 months ago was "too good to go down" went down because of s*** management, poor team spirit, injuries, s*** attittudes (our captain Mr. Owen), the "foul and distinct odor of mendacity", and a whole lot more.

The team went down because we didn't win enough games. Surely you're not suggesting the players are blamaless?

What the fuck? :doh:

Exactly equal votes, mental that like. I voted yes btw, i'd have snapped hands off for 17th place before the season. Fair enough, i've been pretty impressed and believe we can potentially attain a much better place but avoiding relegation will still do me, and consider it a major step forward for the club in the long run.

Guest samjack

I have voted yes because  simply as a promoted team into the premiership thats exactly what we have got to aim for...... BUT ....that by no means is what i am expecting, we are 1 team from probably about 10 teams that will be fighting to get as high as we can by the end of the season, there is no reason i can see why we can't finish 10th-12th position in my view with this current team spirit together with 1 or 2 new players who will hopefully add a bit more belief.

I think taking 17th place now makes us more likely to be relegated over the course of the next two years than just seeing what the season brings to be honest.  Hull just stayed up in their first season, did that help them 'press on' or just give the feeling that the coming season would just be a stay of execution, now without the kind of first season excitement that saw them fly up the league to start with and allowed us to tonk villa? 

Look at the teams that have come up recently and actually did manage to push on and establish themselves as a fixture of the top flight, Stoke, Birmingham, Wolves, did any of them do that by scraping survival by a point or two in their first season? Compared to the two clubs I can remember finishing 17th in their first season, West Brom 04/05 and Hull 08/09 who then immediately went down again. If we finish below one of Blackpool, Wigan, West Brom and West Ham my relief of staying up is going to be tempered by the fact we're in some serious shit next season.

So if the argument for voting yes is that it doesn't matter where we finish as long as we stay up, I disagree. It really matters. If we just scrape survival with Ben Arfa and Carroll, are we going to be able to keep them and, if not, what position would we take at the start of next season? 17th again?

EDIT: Bradford did the same, promoted in 98/99, 17th in 99/00, relegated in 00/01.  If we are to finish one position above the relegation zone in our first season in the premier league after promotion and then survive the season after, we may be the first team to do so.

Think it depends if you take the question as meaning if at the end of the season we're 17th you say "That's fine, we'll take that" or if it's if, if you had the chance to wave a wand and say we would definitely end in 17th place, you'd take it or gamble it and see what happens without magical intervention.

Does anyone remember Hull in their first season back. We won't continue this run and whilst we are good enough for closer to the top ten, we should appreciate our limitations - I'd snatch 17th with both hands right now tbh.

:whistle:

;)