Would you take 17th place right now ?

Guest palnese
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Suprise suprise.... Yes.

A draw against Arsenal and victory against Blackburn and ask me again - I might just change my mind this time.

It's not as simple as that though. IMO we'll get beat off Arsenal because they'll pass us off the park, but there are only a couple of teams in this league who can do that to us. Everyone else we have a fair chance of getting 3 points off so why settle for 17th? BTW I'm not being swayed by one result either, it was more the manner of performance and the effectiveness of the formation we adopted which gives me optimism. I think we'll give a lot of teams a hard time.

But we have to give teams a hard time consistently, because we haven't thus far - that's what is concerning me.

Our form so far has been along the lines of:

Poor, Brilliant, Decent, Poor, Good, Terrible, Good (and robbed), Terrible, Decent, Brilliant.

We cannot sustain any real form, and until we do I would grab 17th with both hands. Good performances against Arsenal and Blackburn and we have the first run of three/four good performances in a row.

Guest Chris P

It's a bit strange that after 10 games, the table is still so close. Doesn't look like it'll 'settle down' for another few games yet.

As long as it settles with us above Everton. Anyway whats this about that you've been fraternising with the unwashed down the road

It's a bit strange that after 10 games, the table is still so close. Doesn't look like it'll 'settle down' for another few games yet.

As long as it settles with us above Everton. Anyway whats this about that you've been fraternising with the unwashed down the road

Winding up is fun.

Was going to make a thread about people's thoughts 10 games in (normally a decent yardstick) but it still feels kinda pointless. The only certainties at this stage are that Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd will compete for the title and West Ham will do really well to stay up. Absolutely no idea where anyone else will finish, including ourselves.

Can't believe all 3 promoted teams are still hanging around the Europa places :lol: I get the feeling this is going to be a weird season with a lot of twists and turns.

like the season when we went down when a win could move you from the relegation spots to top half for most of the season. The thing is though it's only tight at the moment because we are only 10 games in, another 5 games in should start to see the better clubs move up and the worse teams further down. Hopefully we will be a few points off the relegation spots atleast.

Was going to make a thread about people's thoughts 10 games in (normally a decent yardstick) but it still feels kinda pointless. The only certainties at this stage are that Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd will compete for the title and West Ham will do really well to stay up. Absolutely no idea where anyone else will finish, including ourselves.

:sadnod:

Nearly a third of the season gone and it's so close - two wins and you're fighting for Europe, two defeats and you're scraping the relegation battle - it's mental.

Still going to be big when teams such as ourselves, WBA, Blackpool and the other predicted strugglers start picking up a few knocks/suspensions. I suspect that'll be when the league settles down. If it doesn't going to be one hell of a season.

Don't think there's any question whatsoever over where the title is going tbh, if anyone manages to finish within 10 points of Chelsea I'll be surprised.

As for us, I'd be disappointed with 17th place tbh. No reason we shouldn't do better, but a few injuries to the wrong players and that could all change, so I guess I'd take it as another relegation would be a right bastard to deal with.

Just some stuff from the NUFC.com match report:

2008/09: NUFC after 10 games: 9 points, 15th position (scored 12, conceded 18)

2010/11: NUFC after 10 games: 14 points, 7th position (scored 19, conceded 14)

Never mind the look on people's faces, the stats are also starting to bring comfort - not least last week's West Ham win that matched our away victory tally in the whole of 2008/09. Similarly, Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins topped United's Premier League scoring charts two seasons ago with a miserable 8 goals apiece. Kevin Nolan has 7 already this time round - four in a week reward for playing in his proper position.

Really don't understand how someone can say that there's little or no difference between finishing 17th and 8th.

Finishing 8th (or even 10-12 to be more realistic) would have seen us have a much better season than we could have expected, it will show players that we will not be looking at being involved in another relegation battling season next year, and if we sign the likes of Ben Arfa permanently, that we are looking to improve. Would Birmingham have managed to sign the likes of Zigic and Hleb, two IMO quality players, had they finished 17th? I doubt it tbh, neither of them would have liked the look of coming to a club that would struggle to stay in the division.

Oh, and how the fuck have we been lucky with injuries? :lol: Our best player by a mile has had his leg broken, our number one goal keeper is out for I don't know how long, our CB who has been a mainstay in the team for the past few years has yet to play a game, our first choice RB has just returned from injury and one of our new signings is still two months away from making his debut (though we knew about that when we signed him).

Really don't understand how someone can say that there's little or no difference between finishing 17th and 8th.

Finishing 8th (or even 10-12 to be more realistic) would have seen us have a much better season than we could have expected, it will show players that we will not be looking at being involved in another relegation battling season next year, and if we sign the likes of Ben Arfa permanently, that we are looking to improve. Would Birmingham have managed to sign the likes of Zigic and Hleb, two IMO quality players, had they finished 17th? I doubt it tbh, neither of them would have liked the look of coming to a club that would struggle to stay in the division.

Oh, and how the fuck have we been lucky with injuries? :lol: Our best player by a mile has had his leg broken, our number one goal keeper is out for I don't know how long, our CB who has been a mainstay in the team for the past few years has yet to play a game, our first choice RB has just returned from injury and one of our new signings is still two months away from making his debut (though we knew about that when we signed him).

Who's saying you've been lucky with injuries like? ???

And I agree about the 8th/17th issue. It's scandalous to suggest there's no difference, or even to say there's not much difference. There's a huge amount, and your Brum example illustrates it well and I predict will end up with them retaining their top 10 position.