Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

I dont like this but understand why club did this. Nolan's a kind of player they wouldnt want to give 5 year contract.

And what's wrong with the two years he has left?

He might want an extension now for job security, or we might not want to let his value decrease further.

They offered £1.5m the other day, just how much do you think they're offering now?

And what does that money buy that £35m doesn't?

Joey7Barton Joseph Barton

Great player, leader, captain, person, trainer and mostly a friend for life. Devastated to see him SOLD! #mejoseandjonasnext

What an unbelievable tit.  :facepalm:

He wants to leave for free, Jose wants to leave as well, more to do with them than the club.

Right. It's not the club's fault that the best players want to leave. It's not the club's fault that they're selling their best players. It's not the club's fault that they'll never ever progress.

There's something seriously the matter when one man has so much influence on a squad/club. I don't think even Shearer had this much of a sway on things. Ridiculous. Brilliant that he's been influential for us, but if the likes of Barton, Jose & Jonas are going to leave just because one man is off, then f*** off. NUFC is bigger than Kevin f***ing Nolan.

Guest zeta87

I dont like this but understand why club did this. Nolan's a kind of player they wouldnt want to give 5 year contract.

Uh.. I guess they think he'll be shitty in 2 years and will be a money wasting piece of crap?

Not that I agree with them but think that's their logic.

Should boot Barton out just for tweeting that TBH. The club make mistakes, but he's still employed by them and needs to act with a bit of class and respect.

Nobody is bigger than NUFC.

I never quite get used to how authoritarian you English are.

:lol:

Wonder if it was the club who asked to start negotiating a new deal, planning to offer him a crap deal so he could turn it down, then accept a bid for him. I might be totally wrong like but the timing of the talks seems strange.

Wonder if it was the club who asked to start negotiating a new deal, planning to offer him a crap deal so he could turn it down, then accept a bid for him. I might be totally wrong like but the timing of the talks seems strange.

wouldn't having it as public knowledge that he's turned down a contract probably bring his price down ?

Should boot Barton out just for tweeting that TBH. The club make mistakes, but he's still employed by them and needs to act with a bit of class and respect.

Looking forward to checking Twitter later on after Barton's had a few scoops at the races. Should be quite instructive.

Nice. I'm not authoritarian at all, but Barton is a proven mental case who NUFC stood by when they should/could have sacked him on the spot.

He shouldn't be allowed anywhere near Twitter, the lad is liability every time he opens his mouth.

wouldn't having it as public knowledge that he's turned down a contract probably bring his price down ?

Not really, he had two years left, and he was never going to go for a huge amount.

George Caulkin

@CaulkinTheTimes George Caulkin

There's a financial model at #NUFC - self-sufficiency etc - which is interesting & worthy. There's also a football model, which I think is interesting & flawed.Work of Carr positive, but Pardew not taking final decisions.Been telling Nolan wants him to stay for months.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

I think it's a shite idea to be selling Kevin Nolan for team spirit reasons and because of his goals from midfield last season... but he did reject a contract and I definitely see a point in the coming season where we'll have a midfield in which I see no place for him. I'm torn.

I don't mind Nolan going as much as I mind this potentially being the start of a major squad overhaul when we're barely settled back in the Prem again.

This exactly, hopefully this isn't the first domino been flicked, but it seems likely.

These pretty much sum up how I feel. Regardless of his limitations as a player, he seemed central to a solid team chemistry that was something to build around. Disrupting that chemistry is a bit unsettling. That may be giving too much weight to an intangible sense of team spirit, but that sense of team seemed to be something that was sorely lacking in the years leading up to relegation.

He might want an extension now for job security, or we might not want to let his value decrease further.

He's a professional lad, he would have seen out his contract and put a shift in. We could have seen it as £4m (the reported fee) for 2 more years of service from our captain. If we do actualy add this £4m to our current kitty, and actualy spend it before the summer ends, then it could become good buisness, however (imo).

Quite amazed at the reaction on here to his sale. Did brilliant for us in the Championship and scored a great number of goals from midfield, but surely people must be seeing this as a positive step? They wouldn't be selling a fairly large piece of the Newcastle puzzle without someone lined up to come in instead? You honestly think Nolan would have been happy to be potentially a bit part player next season?

The amount of 'ideal' formations I've seen on here with N'Zogbia, Ben Arfa on the wings, with Cabaye and Tiote in the middle - where was Nolan? Since Carroll left he's not had the same influence and honestly in some games he's hindered us as much as he's helped with his engine. I think he's done a great job in the time he's been here in terms of getting us up and keeping us up, but if we honestly have aspirations in moving upward and onward he's the type of player who needs to move on.

Yeah, this is Ashley we're talking about and there's a chance everything could blow up in our faces, but why don't we look at this as a positive move which it hopefully will be rather than a negative one? If Barton goes I'll think the same thing, he's done a great job over the last two years but considering his wages and reluctance to sign on again (again likely with lower wages) plus the likeliness to unsettle the camp (which he's already started to do with his Twitter comments) mean if he moves I'll applaud him when he comes to St. James' in another strip but I'll see it as a step forward more than anything else.

And yeah, if we're left with an inexperienced team full of foreign players failing to blend together I'll eat my humble pie come the end of the 11/12 season when we drop down a division.  ;D

Nice. I'm not authoritarian at all, but Barton is a proven mental case who NUFC stood by when they should/could have sacked him on the spot.

He shouldn't be allowed anywhere near Twitter, the lad is liability every time he opens his mouth.

The man is upset because his captain  and probably best mate at the club has been sold. Surprise surprise footballers are people with emotions.

Guest johnson293

We probably will be getting Demba Ba in return and a couple of million.

Demba Ba is a free agent though isn't he, so West Ham can't sell/Trade him?

Must say I am shocked, but if we want to go places we have to be ruthless. Its a favorite pastime on this board to slate Nolan for his overall contribution in games but now he is going everyone is upset.

I probably would have liked him to stick around another couple of years, he is a great personality to have at the club and a good finisher. His overall play and age are big factors though. We need to find a suitable replacement though no doubts.

I think the fact he is moving to another championship club rather than a top half premiership club tells is own story. Certainly not the end of the world and very reminiscent of the first Keegan era and offloading Paul Bracewell.

OptaJoe Opta Sports

0 - Newcastle United won none of the eight Premier League games that Kevin Nolan missed in 2010-11. Howay.

Wrong.

FFS, I just believe that Barton owes the club a lot and that he's only making things worse by coming out with this bollocks on twitter, you condescending man you.