Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

I dont like this but understand why club did this. Nolan's a kind of player they wouldnt want to give 5 year contract.

And what's wrong with the two years he has left?

He might want an extension now for job security, or we might not want to let his value decrease further.

They offered £1.5m the other day, just how much do you think they're offering now?

And what does that money buy that £35m doesn't?

Yup. And there's such a thing as negotiation as well, especially with two years left on his contract.

It sounds like* it's been "I want five years" "No chance." *West Ham bid* "That sounds a fair price. Off you pop Kevin"

*speculation. Ahhhh!

I strongly believe that Nolan to you has the same value as Vieira did for us when we lost him, technically a better player came in but there are values that count not just on the pitch that you will strongly miss if Nolan goes and if both him and Barton go you could be in trouble.

Quite amazed at the reaction on here to his sale. Did brilliant for us in the Championship and scored a great number of goals from midfield, but surely people must be seeing this as a positive step? They wouldn't be selling a fairly large piece of the Newcastle puzzle without someone lined up to come in instead? You honestly think Nolan would have been happy to be potentially a bit part player next season?

The amount of 'ideal' formations I've seen on here with N'Zogbia, Ben Arfa on the wings, with Cabaye and Tiote in the middle - where was Nolan? Since Carroll left he's not had the same influence and honestly in some games he's hindered us as much as he's helped with his engine. I think he's done a great job in the time he's been here in terms of getting us up and keeping us up, but if we honestly have aspirations in moving upward and onward he's the type of player who needs to move on.

Yeah, this is Ashley we're talking about and there's a chance everything could blow up in our faces, but why don't we look at this as a positive move which it hopefully will be rather than a negative one? If Barton goes I'll think the same thing, he's done a great job over the last two years but considering his wages and reluctance to sign on again (again likely with lower wages) plus the likeliness to unsettle the camp (which he's already started to do with his Twitter comments) mean if he moves I'll applaud him when he comes to St. James' in another strip but I'll see it as a step forward more than anything else.

And yeah, if we're left with an inexperienced team full of foreign players failing to blend together I'll eat my humble pie come the end of the 11/12 season when we drop down a division.  ;D

Oh no they wouldn't do that.

I strongly believe that Nolan to you has the same value as Vieira did for us when we lost him, technically a better player came in but there are values that count not just on the pitch that you will strongly miss if Nolan goes and if both him and Barton go you could be in trouble.

Agree.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Deluded Fan Logic... WE'RE GONNA PLAY LIKE ARSENAL!  :frantic:

Should boot Barton out just for tweeting that TBH. The club make mistakes, but he's still employed by them and needs to act with a bit of class and respect.

Nobody is bigger than NUFC.

I never quite get used to how authoritarian you English are.

:lol:

Nice. I'm not authoritarian at all, but Barton is a proven mental case who NUFC stood by when they should/could have sacked him on the spot.

He shouldn't be allowed anywhere near Twitter, the lad is liability every time he opens his mouth.

The man is upset because his captain  and probably best mate at the club has been sold. Surprise surprise footballers are people with emotions.

I'm not arguing about that, I'm arguing about whether he should be spouting his opinions in public.

Surprise surprise Joey Barton is man without two braincells to rub together.

What's all this bullshit about players being bigger than the club all of a sudden - Nolan was in the middle of negotiating a fucking contract so he's bigger than the club because he was trying to get the best deal he could?! Fuck off. If people can't understand how important leadership and spirit is to a football team then just say that and stop making up these silly excuses for the club.

So we have sold our two top goalscorers last season.  I hope that scouting network is as good as they claim because if we don't find a couple of regular goalscorers we will be in trouble next season regardless of how many good midfielders we have.

Guest zeta87

Think this is one of the sad moments you have to go through when you rebuild your team..

Though I think we might be going too fast with this rebuilding.

So we have sold our two top goalscorers last season.  I hope that scouting network is as good as they claim because if we don't find a couple of regular goalscorers we will be in trouble next season regardless of how many good midfielders we have.

done it before (kelly,peaccock)

Think this is one of the sad moments you have to go through when you rebuild your team..

Though I think we might be going too fast with this rebuilding.

This could be said at many other teams, but this sale is no sign that we are rebuilding.

With all the reaction going on about this I'm just wondering how does this compare to the uproar of when Cole was sold? Was a bit before my time.

People weren't happy but they trusted Keegan. He even came out and explained things to fans at St James who'd gathered to express their feelings

Gone are the days where any football manager/owner/director will do that sort of thing. :(

[/tangent]

:facepalm: The thing with the Caroll sale was there was a massive positive to offset the loss. I really don't see what the fuck we gain from selling him, other than a small-medium transfer fee, while we stand to lose a lot.

A transfer fee plus £10-11m over the next 4 years in wages (that's what he was looking for in a new contract).  IF we saw Nolan as a first team starter for next season then we should have just kept him and let his contract run out.  But I doubt we see him as a starter next season, we certainly shouldn't anyway.

I'm not happy to see him leave, but I'll wait until August to decide if it was a bad decision or not.

Nolan's wages could have been better spent on keeping Carroll; a promising player with bags of potential.

However, that would have robbed Ashley of the chance to rebuild the squad without putting a penny of his own money in.

The whole thing demonstrates how utterly irrelevant Pardew's position as 'manager' has become.

Guest toonlass

0 - Newcastle United won none of the eight Premier League games that Kevin Nolan missed in 2010-11. Howay.

3 mins ago from web

@Miss_Ces retweeting @OptaJoe

0 - Newcastle United won none of the eight Premier League games that Kevin Nolan missed in 2010-11. Howay.

3 mins ago from web

@Miss_Ces retweeting @OptaJoe

Wow, that says a lot!

What's all this bullshit about players being bigger than the club all of a sudden - Nolan was in the middle of negotiating a fucking contract so he's bigger than the club because he was trying to get the best deal he could?! Fuck off. If people can't understand how important leadership and spirit is to a football team then just say that and stop making up these silly excuses for the club.

If you're talking about me, I was talking about Barton's twitter comments only. Nothing to do with Nolan's sale.

FWIW, I think Pardew must've signed up knowing he wasn't going to have the final say on anything. That's the only reason he got the job, innit?

Just an instinct, but I don't think Pardew rates Nolan all that much.

I think he's had some input here.