Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

Guest neesy111

Pretty sure that's the contract he was demanding.

You don't have to sell players who want a new contract.  It's called running down a contract.

He moved because he didn't get the new contract man! His agent is the same as Allardyce's, you're trying to tell me he didn't know what he had to fall back on at West Ham when he was in negotiations?

NUFC could have simply not decided to sell him, the way he spat his dummy out over not getting a new contract was pathetic mind.  NUFC were rightly pissed off by the actions of his agent.

FWIW, it was the length of contract that the club disagreed with. They only thought he had 2 seasons of top flight football left, he wanted to be paid for overperforming his earlier contract in the previous season.

Like I said, it worked out well for all parties, no need to bang on about him now that he's gone and we've moved on.

He wasn't over-performing mind.  He was just about justifying his pay packet.

I would have never have expected one of our most influential players for the first 6months of the season to be one of the 'average' paid players. The downside of not have the wage structure under control, is that players who do a good job expect to be paid on a similar level - Barton, Xisco, Colo, Smith, etc. were all being paid far more than Nolan yet not contributing as much (except for Colo, but his contributions rarely showed up in the papers).

Guest neesy111

FWIW, it was the length of contract that the club disagreed with. They only thought he had 2 seasons of top flight football left, he wanted to be paid for overperforming his earlier contract in the previous season.

Like I said, it worked out well for all parties, no need to bang on about him now that he's gone and we've moved on.

He wasn't over-performing mind.  He was just about justifying his pay packet.

I would have never have expected one of our most influential players for the first 6months of the season to be one of the 'average' paid players. The downside of not have the wage structure under control, is that players who do a good job expect to be paid on a similar level - Barton, Xisco, Colo, Smith, etc. were all being paid far more than Nolan yet not contributing as much (except for Colo, but his contributions rarely showed up in the papers).

Hence why you need performance related pay. 

People can say what they want about Nolan but this is how I saw him during his time here:

2008/09: Thought he was a good signing at first because we needed some bite in midfield and he seemed to fit the profile (of course the months that followed showed that he was really underwhelming. Did nothing of note really).

2009/10: Fantastic goal record. His goals helped us to gain promotion and became one of the more senior/influential figures in the squad. He was an important player for us the year. Though it became clear that there were limitations in terms of fitness/athleticism.

2010/11: Hughton developed a system which allowed Nolan to play a really key role in the team. Yes, as evidenced at times in the Championship season, he was a limited player and was often a weakness in CM - it became increasingly apparent that we lacked movement in the middle (though you could say that signing Tiote was key as he was able to provide a lot of cover for Nolan's main weakness). Having said that, he was an important player in the team last season - this was mainly down to his influence as captain on and off the pitch and of course his goals. His goals helped us to stay up really, he had the habit of being at the right place at the right time which was of the utmost importance. One thing I won't ever forget is his hat trick in that memorable game against the mackems at St. James'. Once Carroll left, his influence on the pitch slightly declined but he still managed to score some important goals.

Post 2010/11 season: I was quite angry when we sold Nolan tbh. We had sold our influential captain and top goalscorer and I thought such a sale made no sense. There were initial concerns from people on how Cabaye, his "replacement", would do in the PL (questions on whether he would adapt and all that) - let's be frank, not many people had an idea on how Yohan was going to do for us when we first signed him. Yes, we were aware of his track record (winning Ligue 1 with Lille) but very few of us had actually seen him play. Of course the months that went by showed us that Cabaye was indeed PL-capable (don't think he's fully adapted as yet but he is getting there) and has since become such a key player for us. The main thing that was made clear was we had some movement in CM, something which we lacked from when Nolan was in the middle during his time here.

So in the end, Nolan's sale turned out to be the best move for both parties - Kevin got the contract he wanted (which we weren't prepared to offer him) and we got our money back for him. His "replacement" has done well for us so what's done is done and people just have to move on. There's certainly no ill-feeling from myself when it comes to talking about Nolan. I will continue to respect him for his contribution to the club (primarily helping us to get back on our feet).

I just don't think pardew, Ashley or llambias thought him capable of sustaining that form for even another season, I totally agreed with them. Loved him for what he did but always thought he was just going through a hot streak/our team set up benefitted him massively. Cheers for the goals but I'm so much happier with Cabaye. That said, would we miss him if Demba hadn't proved such a massive success thus far?

I just don't think pardew, Ashley or llambias thought him capable of sustaining that form for even another season, I totally agreed with them. Loved him for what he did but always thought he was just going through a hot streak/our team set up benefitted him massively. Cheers for the goals but I'm so much happier with Cabaye. That said, would we miss him if Demba hadn't proved such a massive success thus far?

Probably, but that's why we signed Ba.

We're now basically getting goals from upfront instead of midfield and we've got a playmaker who can do it in the middle of the park unlike Barton who could only influence a game from the right hand side. Hence a more balanced side. Shame we never got a decent right winger or have any faith in Ben Arfa there (fingers crossed we will soon).

I was angry when he was sold purely because I didnt think we'd replace him, or the goals he scored. As it happens however, he has been replaced and we're not missing his goals. This coupled with the contract he was after, proves that getting rid was the best decision in hindsight.

However, as much of a limited player he was, his contribution both on and off the field while he was here has to be applauded. Scored some important goals in both the championship season and last season. Also, theres not many in our history who've hit a hattrick past the mackems and for that reason, I'll always have a massive soft spot for Nolan.

I was angry when he was sold purely because I didnt think we'd replace him, or the goals he scored. As it happens however, he has been replaced and we're not missing his goals. This coupled with the contract he was after, proves that getting rid was the best decision in hindsight.

However, as much of a limited player he was, his contribution both on and off the field while he was here has to be applauded. Scored some important goals in both the championship season and last season. Also, theres not many in our history who've hit a hattrick past the mackems and for that reason, I'll always have a massive soft spot for Nolan.

Spot on.

Agree with the 2nd paragraph.

Didn't care at all when he was sold - was actually happy if anything. I recognize the importance of his goals, but we never would have made a step forward with him in the midfield. Also think Barton and he had a highly-inflated sense of self-importance. Wonder what they think about our position now versus theirs.

Agree with the 2nd paragraph.

Didn't care at all when he was sold - was actually happy if anything. I recognize the importance of his goals, but we never would have made a step forward with him in the midfield. Also think Barton and he had a highly-inflated sense of self-importance. Wonder what they think about our position now versus theirs.

They probably still think we'd be doing better if they were here.

Never missed neither Nolan or Barton. Happy with what they contributed with but never really though they were good footballers. Glad we doesn´t have to see them anymore, especially Barton (moron).

I'd say, purely as a footballer, Barton would improve our squad. It's the crap that goes with it and the effect it might have on the club as a whole that is not missed and outweighs any positives.

Nolan did a very good job for us and got well rewarded, but it was time for him to go when he did. His lack of mobility was always going to limit our options, and he was too big a personality and ego (and too highly paid) to accept a role as a squad player.

:thup:

Top guy who loved the club and city and did a great job for us.

Good luck to him after moving on, he'll always be welcome round these parts.