Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

I haven't seen too much criticism, just some people pointing out limitations, others taking offence at it. There's similar threads about Jonas regarding the fact he can't cross for his life, should we object to those as well? The fact is he can't cross...or shoot particularly well. It's also a fact that Nolan is slow and it means he's played up front to compensate his lack of mobility. What is wrong with pointing it out?

Its also a fact that Nolan is an excellent finisher, has outstanding positional sense, gives his all in 99.9% of games and appears to have the respect of his team mates and his manager. Yes, he has his bad games but he also has his bloody good ones like he did on Saturday. He gets far too much stick and is a useful asset to the team.

Guest neesy111

I haven't seen too much criticism, just some people pointing out limitations, others taking offence at it. There's similar threads about Jonas regarding the fact he can't cross for his life, should we object to those as well? The fact is he can't cross...or shoot particularly well. It's also a fact that Nolan is slow and it means he's played up front to compensate his lack of mobility. What is wrong with pointing it out?

Its also a fact that Nolan is an excellent finisher, has outstanding positional sense, gives his all in 99.9% of games and appears to have the respect of his team mates and his manager. Yes, he has his bad games but he also has his bloody good ones like he did on Saturday. He gets far too much stick and is a useful asset to the team.

Your right, but imo a professional footballer should not be in the shape he is, especially in the premiership, and that will catch-up with him.  Either the management are ignoring it, or Nolan has some other problem that doesn't allow him to be able to lose weight.

Your right, but imo a professional footballer should not be in the shape he is, especially in the premiership, and that will catch-up with him.  Either the management are ignoring it, or Nolan has some other problem that doesn't allow him to be able to lose weight.

Why do people equate losing weight to being in shape? muscle > fat.

Guest neesy111

Why do people equate losing weight to being in shape? muscle > fat.

Too much muscle will make very top heavy.  Also you can see the guy has a belly, which isn't on as a footballer imo.

Guest neesy111

To be fair, people should forget about their body weight and concentrate on their bodyfat percentage. It is more difficult to measure accurately though.

One glance at the England Rugby team stats will tell you high bodyweight doesn't mean you're not in shape!

But that's a different sport, remember in the premiership you have to be fit atheltic style to be able to cope with the pace of the division.

I don't reckon he's unfit. Chased down everything on Saturday right till the finish. I was one of his biggest critics last year but he's won me over. Probably helps bringing in Tiote so him and Barton can concentrate on doing their own jobs.

To be fair, people should forget about their body weight and concentrate on their bodyfat percentage. It is more difficult to measure accurately though.

One glance at the England Rugby team stats will tell you high bodyweight doesn't mean you're not in shape!

But that's a different sport, remember in the premiership you have to be fit atheltic style to be able to cope with the pace of the division.

Yeah, obviously different sports require different body shapes and different kinds of fitness. All I was saying is that a high bodyweight that's made up mostly of muscle is a good thing generally.

I'm not saying Nolan fits into that category mind!

Guest neesy111

Yeah, obviously different sports require different body shapes and different kinds of fitness. All I was saying is that a high bodyweight that's made up mostly of muscle is a good thing generally.

Yeah, different sports require different types of body.  I'm saying player's with big physical frames will find it hard to compete in the premiership due to the nature of how the game is played i.e. Look at Arsenal.

This isn't directed at any comment in particular on this thread, but ever since I have watched NUFC the home crowd have always had one or two players who they just didn't get on with, regardless of performance. It usually starts with a bad run of form or a couple of mistakes, but once that happens, it is difficult to win the crowd back, they will generally be unforgiving of any further mistakes or performances, and will leap on that players back quicker than any other.

First noticed it with Kevin Scott (no worse than Brian Kilcline around the same time), and it happened to Sheedy, Sellars, Hooper, Darren Peacock, you could go on. The current incumbent seems to be Shola, and now that Nicky Butt has moved on, they are replaced with Smith and Nolan, despite both of those players playing a very large hand in the fact that we are currently sitting in the top half of the premier table, when just over a year ago many thought we were on course to "do a Leeds".

I'm not saying that players should be immune from criticism for poor performances, but it should probably be spread around a little more. Jonas has some absolute shockers and he gets away fairly lightly, as does Lovenkrands. Shola was hailed as our saviour this time last season, and through no fault of his own has reverted to being a joke again.

Yeah, different sports require different types of body.  I'm saying player's with big physical frames will find it hard to compete in the premiership due to the nature of how the game is played i.e. Look at Arsenal.

I'm not sure, I always thought small players were discarded/failed much more than big ones.

Arsenal are an exception really... you could equally say look at Gareth Bale, Christiano Ronaldo etc, both guys with big builds similar to a sprinter.

It's more than possible to be big and fit, it just requires more work. Obviously footballers don't necessarily have the ability to put that work in, as they also have to practice playing football!

This isn't directed at any comment in particular on this thread, but ever since I have watched NUFC the home crowd have always had one or two players who they just didn't get on with, regardless of performance. It usually starts with a bad run of form or a couple of mistakes, but once that happens, it is difficult to win the crowd back, they will generally be unforgiving of any further mistakes or performances, and will leap on that players back quicker than any other.

First noticed it with Kevin Scott (no worse than Brian Kilcline around the same time), and it happened to Sheedy, Sellars, Hooper, Darren Peacock, you could go on. The current incumbent seems to be Shola, and now that Nicky Butt has moved on, they are replaced with Smith and Nolan, despite both of those players playing a very large hand in the fact that we are currently sitting in the top half of the premier table, when just over a year ago many thought we were on course to "do a Leeds".

I'm not saying that players should be immune from criticism for poor performances, but it should probably be spread around a little more. Jonas has some absolute shockers and he gets away fairly lightly, as does Lovenkrands. Shola was hailed as our saviour this time last season, and through no fault of his own has reverted to being a joke again.

Smith is a dire, Championship level player as was Butt. Any criticisms levelled at either player over the last couple of years have been fully justified.

Smith is a dire, Championship level player as was Butt. Any criticisms levelled at either player over the last couple of years have been fully justified.

So by dire Championship player you mean he is one of the worst Championship players? Absolute bollocks. He is an average Premiership player, and I reckon every single team in the Championship would take him now without question.

So by dire Championship player you mean he is one of the worst Championship players? Absolute bollocks. He is an average Premiership player, and I reckon every single team in the Championship would take him now without question.

No. I mean he is dire, and hence belongs in the Championship.

This man was our weaklink last season, and was rightly dropped once we got a proper right winger.

No. I mean he is dire, and hence belongs in the Championship.

This man was our weaklink last season, and was rightly dropped once we got a proper right winger.

Can't believe people still defend him on any level. People are shite scared of appearing negative to see the cold truth that he's finished. Defending SMITH in a Nolan thread. My word.

Despite the team performance tonight Smith somehow still managed to add a few more nails to his own NUFC coffin. He was rubbish.

Btw, just noticed this (and the previous comments about Smudger), he actually had a decent game on Weds night, don't buy into the "oh it was Smith, he must have been shit" chat

Despite the team performance tonight Smith somehow still managed to add a few more nails to his own NUFC coffin. He was rubbish.

Btw, just noticed this (and the previous comments about Smudger), he actually had a decent game on Weds night, don't buy into the "oh it was Smith, he must have been shit" chat

Nah, he was bollocks.