Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

3 goals from a few yards out. Some didn't do their homework. :lol:

I know there's going to be a massive wankathon over him now given that he's scored a hat-trick against the Mackems, and credit where it's due - he was brilliant at scoring - but lets not lose sight of the fact that the current team/setup is absolutely perfect for him, and it's only now that we're starting to reap the rewards of having him in the team without suffering some of the consequences (unlike e.g. our relegation season). Barton coming infield at times and taking on the responsibility of spreading the play, Tiote providing defensive cover and athleticism, Jonas providing dribbling, Carroll holding the ball up and winning headers in the penalty box at will at times. Nolan can be as invisible as he wants in general play, he has free reign to position himself wherever he sees fit, and to his great credit he seems to have this sixth-sense ability commonly attributed to Michael Owen of freqeuntly being in the right place at the right time.

The great thing about him is that no doubt teams are going to be keeping a closer eye on him now, especially inside the box. But even if they do, it's not going to be easy picking up someone who seems to move randomly into a position (off the ball) where the ball just happens to come at him, especially with Carroll being a beast in the air and winning headers/drawing defenders in and knocking it down into the 6-yard box. He could easily end up on 15-20 goals if he keeps playing the way he has in the current system.

I think the key has been him dropping back into midfield. While he's no Gerrard he's worked hard and crucially he's worked brilliantly off Shola and Carroll.

Didn't work last year against inferior opposition. The difference is Tiote.

I think the key has been him dropping back into midfield. While he's no Gerrard he's worked hard and crucially he's worked brilliantly off Shola and Carroll.

He's even harder to account for when the oppositions defenders are having to deal with two strikers already, and therefore is far more dangerous. Hughton has absolutely hit the ball out of the park with this current formation. The key to it all is Tiote allowing Nolan all the freedom in the world to break forward and Barton tucking in from the right also. Fantastic stuff. All the signs were there from the showing against West Ham last week.

Aaah shucks ...

Guest guinness_fiend

Is the correct answer.  Even though Tiote was a bit out-of-sorts today, he's made the difference since joining the club.  It means that Nolan doesn't knacker himself by trying to play as an attacking forward and a defensive midfielder at the same time.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

He was furious with the defence just before the goal went in for being sloppy - at 5-0 and he didn't want to concede!