Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Jonas was brilliant tonight. Am i right in thinking both assists were crossed with his weaker foot? I know people get frustrated with him because he isn't a traditional English winger, but personally i love the style of player he is. He always plays better with Lovenkrands upfront, maybe because Lovenkrands is willing to make intelligent runs unlike a certain Andy Carroll. I hope when Ben Arfa comes back Gutierrez isn't dropped, i think the link up play between Enrique, Jonas and Ben Arfa could be something special.

Very good point re: Lovenkrands.

Jonas looks twice the player with him on the pitch, and some of his assists to Lovenkrands in the Championship were glorious.

Could well be that we lack an intelligent striker like Lovenkrands who also has the physical attributes of someone like Ranger or Best.

Bestykrands would be an amazing player.

What an absolute load of guff you're both talking.

'I am happy here, and yes I do want to stay. My family is happy as well.

'The only issue is that the club has to decide what it wants to do next season. We do not want to be back in a position where we have problems with relegation.

'We are in a good position at the moment, with the players to make a strong team, but we need to add a few more to make sure we continue to move forward. That is the key.

'We are all part of a group, and it is important that group stays together. Sometimes, things happen that mean it is very difficult for a player to stay. Look at Andy Carroll in January - £35million, Liverpool, that is difficult for the club and the player to turn down.

'But in general, I want all of the players at this club to stay. That will make it much easier for the team to be strong next season.'

Guest Roger Kint

Got a feeling he may really go up a gear at the end of this season, would love to see him bag a couple of goals, would do his confidence wonders.

So you can accuse him of playing for a move?

'I am happy here, and yes I do want to stay. My family is happy as well.

'The only issue is that the club has to decide what it wants to do next season. We do not want to be back in a position where we have problems with relegation.

'We are in a good position at the moment, with the players to make a strong team, but we need to add a few more to make sure we continue to move forward. That is the key.

'We are all part of a group, and it is important that group stays together. Sometimes, things happen that mean it is very difficult for a player to stay. Look at Andy Carroll in January - £35million, Liverpool, that is difficult for the club and the player to turn down.

'But in general, I want all of the players at this club to stay. That will make it much easier for the team to be strong next season.'

Top man!

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/02/25/gutierrez-worried-he-will-lose-his-compadres-61634-28232798/

I find this a bit irritating :

JONÁS Gutiérrez fears Newcastle United’s ‘three amigos’ will be broken up at the end of the season as he challenged the club to prove they can match the trio’s ambitions.

I can to an extent that Enrique is a tad skeptical. But he should also remember his debt to NUFC. Enrique may have some talent, but he is a much better player now than when he joined us. And while some of  that improvement should credited to his hard work,  the better part of it should be credited his club, who allowed him to continue playing on a REGULAR basis, despite his many junior during the first years (Enrique's errors against Fham and Bham are classical representations of errors he made frequently in his early days). He's soon finished with his fourth year, but it wasn't before the season in Championship that he started to pay us back. And this season is his first good season in PL. In other words, NUFC made him the player he's today.

The same goes with Barton too, we took him when nobody else was willing to touch him with an iron rod.  NUFC believed in both players, despite their early failings. But when NUFC finally is starting to reap the rewards for its patience, the players are suddenly talking about the club not matching their ambitions, forgetting totally what the club has done for them! They owe the club to sign new contracts. If the club still fails to match their ambitions, at least  NUFC is able to command a price that reflects their value. That will not be the case if they don't sign. And that's a big difference!

I could have understood their reservations if they had been the club's star performers from day one. But they weren't'. In fact, NUFC had to wait for many seasons before they delivered. If it wasn't for that particular club patience, Barton and Enrique could been playing for small clubs now, earning petty cash compared to what they're currently on.   I will be very disappointed if they don't sign. Sadly, their moral compasses will then point in the corrupted direction that football generally is heading towards today.

I might disagree a little about Barton, but fundamentally I respect your point of view regarding him.

Everything you've said about Enrique is totally wrong, though. He's always been one of our best players and the club has only offered him the prospect of regression in his time. Incompetence, instability, a relegation on his CV, 'experience' of the 2nd Division, coaching by Joe Kinnear, management by someone the club thought was inexperienced and not up to it (Hughton) - he doesn't owe it anything.

He is frustratingly poor with his end product half of the time but I still think Wor Jonas is a quality player, Premiership quality for sure. People don't seem to realise that teams double up on him nearly every game just to stop him running with the ball.

Whilst I agree with the players wanting to see the club match their own ambitions in the summer, the onus is 100% on them for the next 2 and half months to put the team in a position where we can attract the type of player that will improve the team.

The Europa League might not be the best competition in the world, but qualifying for it in our first season back will send a message out that NUFC are on the up again.

I might disagree a little about Barton, but fundamentally I respect your point of view regarding him.

Everything you've said about Enrique is totally wrong, though. He's always been one of our best players and the club has only offered him the prospect of regression in his time. Incompetence, instability, a relegation on his CV, 'experience' of the 2nd Division, coaching by Joe Kinnear, management by someone the club thought was inexperienced and not up to it (Hughton) - he doesn't owe it anything.

Sorry, but the two first seasons, Enrique was not our star performer, like he's now. In fact, he was shit sometimes. Often being directly the cause of goals: misplaced, forgetting to mark his man, making far to many risky passes in defense that sometimes were intercepted and led to dangerous attacks against us. If we've had the same lack of patience with him as we've had with many others, he may have been sitting on the bench instead, missing the continuity that he needed to develop into the player he's today. So you're actually missing cause and effect here. Enrique didn't become good player DESPITE NUFC (that attributes every accomplishment of his with him as an individual) Enrique became the player he's today BECAUSE of NUFC. This club enabled him to play on the highest level DESPITE his early wrongdoings. That he experienced some turmoils, so what? He's a professional, and earns more in a week than most do in a year. He should be grateful, and not complaining about club's lack of ambitions when the club in reality was the cause of him raising his ambitions in the first place. 

Look at Andy Carroll in January - £35million, Liverpool, that is difficult for the club and the player to turn down

Nail on head.

Is he going to get criticised for falling for club PR? ;)

Sorry, but the two first seasons, Enrique was not our star performer, like he's now. In fact, he was shit sometimes. Often being directly the cause of goals: misplaced, forgetting to mark his man, making far to many risky passes in defense that sometimes were intercepted and led to dangerous attacks against us. If we've had the same lack of patience with him as we've had with many others, he may have been sitting on the bench instead, missing the continuity that he needed to develop into the player he's today. So you're actually missing cause and effect here. Enrique didn't become good player DESPITE NUFC (that attributes every accomplishment of his with him as an individual) Enrique became the player he's today BECAUSE of NUFC. This club enabled him to play on the highest level DESPITE his early wrongdoings. That he experienced some turmoils, so what? He's a professional, and earns more in a week than most do in a year. He should be grateful, and not complaining about club's lack of ambitions when the club in reality was the cause of him raising his ambitions in the first place. 

For starters, in turn he's paid to play to the best of his abilities so if he did that and he wasn't good enough, it's still not his problem. James Perch doesn't owe it to us to sign up for another 6 years, for example. Futhermore, he could have played games regularly at a large number of other teams - teams with better reputations for improving players too. Likewise, you seem to be suggesting that just standing on grass wearing a football kit makes you a better player and he should be grateful it was our grass he was standing on, which I just can't see the sense in. I don't think I need to convince most people that some people have more potential to be good footballers than some other people, and he was one of the first group. As such him now being one of the best Left Backs in the world isn't to any important extent because he played for this club.

Secondly, he wasn't always played by the club - Allardyce, the man who signed him, didn't have him as an automatic starter. Nor did Keegan. While Kinnear was pretty desperate to oust him, which I don't suppose took much account of Enrique's feelings about his contract being broken.

Thirdly, you may disagree about how good Enrique has been for this club in his earlier days, and I'm not arguing he hasn't improved as a player, but if you go back to BooBoo's original post it shows the vast majority disagreed with his criticism and that view only got stronger as time went on - and this is in his first season at the club. He was a star player in the team, albeit relative to his team mates in what was a poor team. He's never not been one of our best performers for any significant period.