Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

I think one thing that makes him so good in the middle is that he has always been a hard worker with ok technique but with a quite awful end product. At the wing he was the main man to produce chances and goals. But that has never been his thing relay. So now when he can concentrate on the things he is good at and letting others doing the offensive play he is a massive player for the team.

I remember when he first joined, there was plenty of chat about people wanting to see him in centre midfield as he had no end product on the wing. Then, on the 6th December 2008, Joe Kinnear had a thought. With the score at 2-0 and Jonas having one of his more effective matches (on the right in those days), JFK thought he'd give Stoke a chance. With Guthrie unable to come out for the second half, JFK needed somebody to slot into the...erm, engine room, alongside Geremi.

Most managers would have panicked in this situation, or better yet, have put a midfielder from the youth team on the bench, but not Joe. On came Steven Taylor, a centre half by trade, to play at right back. Habib Beye was shifted up one to the right wing despite being our best defender for much of the season, leaving Jonas to take the Geremi guarding job we've all contemplated in our darkest hours. Poor Jonas was bullied by the thugs in the Stoke team and, desperate for help, JFK finally subbed Geremi for the only man in the stadium who could make things worse, Cacapa. For those keeping score, at this point we have 6 defenders on the pitch, Martins has been subbed for Viduka so there's no pace up front (Owen's already got 2 goals so he's just sort of fannying about up there). Needless to say, despite having 6 defenders and a big fat Aussie as our disposal, we concede from a set piece in the 92nd minute to a former centre half. And Jonas never played centre midfield again.

Until now. So cheers Joe, we could have been seeing this sexy 4-3-3 months ago if it wasn't for you, you cunt. [/exagerrated Jonas story]

Such a vital figure. I won't be concerned one bit going into next season with Jonas, Cabaye and Cheik as our midfield three. In fact, I'd be very happy to do just that.

Jonas' work ethic is brilliant. He's a good passer of the ball, he knows how to win a free kick, he knows how to go past his man, he plays the right pass and he is tracking every single player that runs through his space. Absolutley phenomenal in this position and I'd love for him to stay there. After the past few years, he's grown into one of those players you can't imagine us lining up without. May it remain that way. Incredible servant and a brilliant footbaler. Howay Jonas.

I remember when he first joined, there was plenty of chat about people wanting to see him in centre midfield as he had no end product on the wing. Then, on the 6th December 2008, Joe Kinnear had a thought. With the score at 2-0 and Jonas having one of his more effective matches (on the right in those days), JFK thought he'd give Stoke a chance. With Guthrie unable to come out for the second half, JFK needed somebody to slot into the...erm, engine room, alongside Geremi.

Most managers would have panicked in this situation, or better yet, have put a midfielder from the youth team on the bench, but not Joe. On came Steven Taylor, a centre half by trade, to play at right back. Habib Beye was shifted up one to the right wing despite being our best defender for much of the season, leaving Jonas to take the Geremi guarding job we've all contemplated in our darkest hours. Poor Jonas was bullied by the thugs in the Stoke team and, desperate for help, JFK finally subbed Geremi for the only man in the stadium who could make things worse, Cacapa. For those keeping score, at this point we have 6 defenders on the pitch, Martins has been subbed for Viduka so there's no pace up front (Owen's already got 2 goals so he's just sort of fannying about up there). Needless to say, despite having 6 defenders and a big fat Aussie as our disposal, we concede from a set piece in the 92nd minute to a former centre half. And Jonas never played centre midfield again.

Until now. So cheers Joe, we could have been seeing this sexy 4-3-3 months ago if it wasn't for you, you c***. [/exagerrated Jonas story]

:lol: :lol:

Kinnear is still something I can't understand.

I'm enjoying his new role in the team. He doesn't have the qualities of a winger really. He has great short passing, incredible work rate, ability to hold possession and is always available for a pass.

It was as if he was playing a sweeper role behind the front 4 yesterday and really helped us keep on top of them possession-wise. As someone else said, I'd like to see his stats.

Player of the season for me. Absolute workhorse 

Me too.

Ba,Cisse,HBA and Cabaye have grabbed the headlines and deservedly so, and Colo is just imperious, but over the season I'd go for Jonas.

Every single member of the squad deserves credit, they have ALL been magnificent.

He does the hard graft, the defence must fucking love him.

I reckon he has been as indispensable as Colo and for that we should hand the Malvinas back as a gesture of love

Such a vital figure. I won't be concerned one bit going into next season with Jonas, Cabaye and Cheik as our midfield three. In fact, I'd be very happy to do just that.

Jonas' work ethic is brilliant. He's a good passer of the ball, he knows how to win a free kick, he knows how to go past his man, he plays the right pass and he is tracking every single player that runs through his space. Absolutley phenomenal in this position and I'd love for him to stay there. After the past few years, he's grown into one of those players you can't imagine us lining up without. May it remain that way. Incredible servant and a brilliant footbaler. Howay Jonas.

:thup:

He does the hard graft, the defence must f***ing love him.

I reckon he has been as indispensable as Colo and for that we should hand the Malvinas back as a gesture of love

They'll never take our precious Maldives! [/barack obama]

Jonas is a brilliant player. He doesn't have a great cross or shot on him, but he has a fabulous work rate. He can tackle a bit, he can dribble and he has that ability to keep calm and shrug a number of players off him. The switch to the centre to push Cabaye up is working out very well. I'm surprised how good Jonas is in the middle, but it's no surprise that he can dribble out with the ball and take it any direction really with ease which makes us dangerous as we have a number of players who can turn defence in to attack with pace.

I love this guy, he is a key player for us. Drawn more fouls from the opposition than any other Premier League player did I hear recently?

He looks like a senior pro in out team, someone the other players look up to. I actually put that down to how he has been managed and Pardew giving him the captaincy on a couple of occasions.

This lad is so calm when under pressure, and knows when to push forward with the ball, or when to hold up the ball and relieve pressure from the defence. Would never have thought he would do so well next to tiote in the middle, but fair play to pards for giving it a chance.

Think it was Cajun who compared him to Man U's Fletcher, and I think that comparison is spot on for Jonas in this formation. Absolutely transformed his value to this team playing central. Looks to be really enjoying himself too.

:thup: