Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

He was consistently shite at crossing, mediocre at passing, abysmal at shooting, good at drawing fouls and reasonably good carrying the ball. It was a very odd game plan indeed to waste a wide position on such a limited skill set, but we might not call it 'struggling' if that's how he was asked to play. I think you'd call it struggling if you judged it on and against the criteria of other wingers.

Like most though, I harbor no ill will towards him. I just don't want to see him near the pitch.

An ostensibly attacking player with a career goalscoring rate of less than 1 in 20.

A similar record to Shola then over the last 4 or 5 years.  Jonas is limited but he's usually worked his bollocks off for us, I'm glad he's no longer playing but I have nothing against him.

:thup:

An ostensibly attacking player with a career goalscoring rate of less than 1 in 20.

A similar record to Shola then over the last 4 or 5 years.  Jonas is limited but he's usually worked his bollocks off for us, I'm glad he's no longer playing but I have nothing against him.

There's nothing to hold against him. It's not his fault he's not good enough but is still here.

There's nothing to hold against him. It's not his fault he's not good enough but is still here.

He helped the bloke massively who you share your username with in the season we finished 5th, people may not like it but he was an important player for us and always gave 100%.

No way did Jonas 'consistently struggle in the premier league' :lol:

6 goals and 10 assists in 140 PL games says otherwise. Shocking player, but I'm fed up with talking about him.

We were stupid enough to buy him and put up with him for 5 years. Nice guy but thank fuck that's over.

Jonas has been such an important player for us, LB's must have loved him being in front of them. He released so much pressure of us by just legging it ip the line with the ball, never backed out of being kicked in the air for the cause. Yeah ok not enough goals or assists but I have nothing but fondness for Jonas.

Spot on. :thup:

I wouldn't want him in the team any more but this faux aggression towards him is typically pathetic.

Not having that, Jonas had a good year in the championship,  a good year in 10/11 and was a huge part of the team effort which saw us get to 5th in 11/12.

Yeah last season he was absolutely atrocious as he seemed to lose whatever athleticism he once had and suffered a dramatic decline in performance.  But that doesnt mean hes been hopeless for his entire time here.

Yes you can argue he hasnt contributed enough with goals and assists, but anyone who watched us regularly over the years knows he contributed in different ways.

He helped the bloke massively who you share your username with in the season we finished 5th, people may not like it but he was an important player for us and always gave 100%.

Yep. Should always be remembered well for what he did for the club.

I might be living in cloud cuckoo-land  but I generally like wingers that go at the full backs with pace and can whip in a cross or cut in and get a shot away.

Aye it's nice to have ones that help out defensively but more often than not, that was Jonas' primary purpose.  I don't hate the guy, I'm indifferent towards him and won't be upset or sad when he goes.

BECAUSE THIS GUY'S MILES BETTER IN A SIMILAR ROLE.  :love:

http://e2.365dm.com/13/09/800x600/yoan-gouffran-newcastle-united_3004980.jpg?20130917161433

Whilst his attacking contribution has always been shaky, Jonas was never an out and out defensive winger until Enrique left and Ryan Taylor was moved to left back. Had Jonas not offered that protection we'd have been mauled frequently as without it Raylor was fucking atrocious there.

Unfortunately for Jonas it's seemed that since that time he's forgotten how to even take on a man and has declined.

TBH I've said all of this before, but people keep insisting on beating the whole "he's been shite his whole time here" drum, so I feel the need to stick my oar in. Just because a player has eventually deteriorated, doesn't mean they have always been as bad as their current selves.

Solano was the king of combining technical ability and protecting the full back which was impressive considering his lack of pace. Jonas worked his arse off and did his best to win as free-kicks in promising areas which I appreciate but he was never going to be much of a goal scorer/creator.

Gouffran is a less technically proficient wide player than Solano but has a hell of a lot more pace. The way football is played now he can be just as good which coming from me is very high praise indeed.

Whilst his attacking contribution has always been shaky, Jonas was never an out and out defensive winger until Enrique left and Ryan Taylor was moved to left back. Had Jonas not offered that protection we'd have been mauled frequently as without it Raylor was fucking atrocious there.

Unfortunately for Jonas it's seemed that since that time he's forgotten how to even take on a man and has declined.

TBH I've said all of this before, but people keep insisting on beating the whole "he's been shite his whole time here" drum, so I feel the need to stick my oar in. Just because a player has eventually deteriorated, doesn't mean they have always been as bad as their current selves.

He hasn't been shite his whole time here, just the majority of it.

He hasn't been shite his whole time here, just the majority of it.

IMO last season was the only season he's had for us where he's offered nothing to the team.

where was he today,  recently played 2 reserve games and surely this was the perfect game for him,  would offer more than Obertan and even Gouffran who has been running on empty for 3 games.

where was he today,  recently played 2 reserve games and surely this was the perfect game for him,  would offer more than Obertan and even Gouffran who has been running on empty for 3 games.

He'd offer the opponents more of the ball, like.

Maybe his contract rumours are true. Pardew never used to drop him even when he was total garbage.

Heard that today, sound very plausible with Ashley. Bet him and Tan were in cahoots today figured out more ways to screw over their loyal fans