Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

i remember in our 1st season back in the Premiership and we just signed Ben Arfa. Chris Hughton had to make a decision to either use Jonas or Ben Arfa on the left. He started the season with Jonas but as Jonas performances became shit, Hughton dropped him for Ben Arfa at Everton IIRC. Ben Arfa goes onto score the wonder goal and I thought at that time, well that`s the end of Jonas sadly.

But Ben Arfa picked up that horror injury and Jonas was back in the team. He scored against Man City and he was sort of revitalised after being dropped. Looked liked a player who suddenly realised he had competition for his place and he went on to have a great season, maybe his best as the old and leggy Jonas.

Just think he needs to be dropped for a few games, bring him on as a late sub to defend a lead or something.Let his appetite flow again. He definitely wont perform like he used to but benching him would send a signal to him that he could stay there. The very least he can be valuable in the team again or do something useful.

If that doesnt work, I think he could be another Alan Smith again here. Staying as a team leader but from the dugout and on the training pitch..

its all up to Mr Pardew i guess

I thought he actually looked a bit better last night?  Perhaps I'm so used to his usual s***, that a few fancy bits of footwork and the odd half decent cross has warped my opinion!

A slight bit in second half but in reality he offers nothing whatsoever on the left. He is always to slow releasing the ball wherever he plays and looks lethargic

Depressing seeing him not getting to passes that he would have done a short while ago. Really pissed me off last night, feel guilty today because he seems such a lovely bloke. But honestly, I think he's past it now.

Worse than Williamson imo. By far actually.

Thought Jonas should've been subbed at half-time. He then got worse. Then put in 2 good balls in the last 5 minutes.

Tiote & ANita are not creative midfielders. So many times they passed it to Jonas and he just passed it straight back. Against Wigan Marv would push the team forward. Jonas holds us back.

Thought Jonas & Cisse should've gone at half-time.

Worse than Williamson imo. By far actually.

Thought Jonas should've been subbed at half-time. He then got worse. Then put in 2 good balls in the last 5 minutes.

Tiote & ANita are not creative midfielders. So many times they passed it to Jonas and he just passed it straight back. Against Wigan Marv would push the team forward. Jonas holds us back.

Thought Jonas & Cisse should've gone at half-time.

Jonas just doesn't seem to have anything these days. He slows our game up massively and fails to release the ball on time. His passing and crossing are sloppy and his dribbling is just predictable and at a snails pace.

Can't see why Pards is persisting with him now, he does not seem to have the stamina for 90 mins football anymore either

Depressing seeing him not getting to passes that he would have done a short while ago. Really p*ssed me off last night, feel guilty today because he seems such a lovely bloke. But honestly, I think he's past it now.

100% agree.

He seems bereft of ideas and confidence when he has the ball, his tracking back is not what it was, he's still adept at picking up free kicks by falling over though but really a passenger for the most part in every game I've seen this season. Yet he seems untouchable, Marveaux should have started ahead of him last night.

Depressing seeing him not getting to passes that he would have done a short while ago. Really p*ssed me off last night, feel guilty today because he seems such a lovely bloke. But honestly, I think he's past it now.

100% agree.

Sadly I agree, and I've always been one of his biggest fans. He just isn't offering anything at the moment.

I had a lovely dog for years, Pepe, a yorkshire terrier. Loved him to bits, the whole family did. He was a lovely natured thing, and I have many happy memories of him. Would run, play, laugh with him, he was an affectionate dog, loved going to the beach and running in and out of the water. He would sit, give us his paw, give us his other paw when we asked. Couldn't train him to lay down or roll over though, but what a lovely dog.

He got old, and suffered fom various pains, and the most humane thing to do was to put him out of his misery.

Jonas now, to me, is like Pepe was.

Is there any way we can keep him on the field while minimizing his negative impact? Where would/could he play?

There's nowhere now in my opinion. He might benefit from playing less and being fresher.

Aye. From the positions we've seen him play, he just lacks at least one thing crucial for such roles.

Attacking Winger - He's lost a mile of pace, plus he never had the technique or skill to become an excellent one.

Defensive Winger - Probably best, but again, he doesn't have that speed and sharpness as before.

Central Midfield - Doesn't require pace, and Jonas has good work ethic. Now, can he pass? That's another story.

Defensive Midfield - Works hard, but he doesn't have that grit and tackle in him to become a fully effective one. Probably his second best though.

Full back - There's a reason why only Diego has believed in him as a fullback. :yao:

In short, he's not got the pace or technique to play out wide, the passing to play central, nor the tackling to play a fully defensive role. Real shame that he's lacking in at least one area of each role because I really admire him as a professional. :(

I still think Pardew has something to do with Jonas' decline over the past 12-18 months or so. I know I keep beating the same drum but ever since he was deployed as essentially a second fullback to cover Raylor, his attacking play has deteriorated to the point where he's afraid to take on his man.

I would love it to be a case of a coach/manager needing to put an arm over his shoulder and work with him to get him attacking his man again, but  unfortunately even if that is the case, it's not going to happen with Pardew in charge.

I still think Pardew has something to do with Jonas' decline over the past 12-18 months or so. I know I keep beating the same drum but ever since he was deployed as essentially a second fullback to cover Raylor, his attacking play has deteriorated to the point where he's afraid to take on his man.

I would love it to be a case of a coach/manager needing to put an arm over his shoulder and work with him to get him attacking his man again, but  unfortunately even if that is the case, it's not going to happen with Pardew in charge.

You might be right. There was a time when our LB position was so weak that Jonas was really required to help out, and it might have permanently changed his game for good. A bit like what Fergie did to Alan Smith, God rest his soul.

You might be right. There was a time when our LB position was so weak that Jonas was really required to help out, and it might have permanently changed his game for good. A bit like what Fergie did to Alan Smith, God rest his soul.

Yep, and as good as Santon has turned out, he did take a while to adapt, so even when he eventually ousted Raylor, Jonas still had to have that same mentality. He just looks like he's forgotten how to attack.

I'm also reluctant to go along with the "his legs have gone" statement as you just don't see him open his legs up enough these days to really say for certain. As soon as he gets the ball, he's instantly looking to get rid of it. He actually beat a man (two men in fact) yesterday, and I was genuinely shocked :lol:

Didn't notice it, but fair point which could explain his loss of attacking play. :thup: He was actually beginning to look decent at the back end of Jose's last season. He began learning how to cross and nabbing some assists, but that seemed to change when Jose left.

Makes me crave for a quality left-footed fullback all of a sudden. Also noticeable is how he never again partnered a leftie of the same defensive soundness as Jose.

:lol: