Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

considering he's probably on 30k+ a week wages is argentina really the best place for him to be finding a new club?

surely would have been better going back to spain and trying to train with a promoted team or summit, anything but going back to bankrupt argentina really

He did the exact same thing with Alan Smith.

"People say 'why don't you move on?' But whenever I've spoken to the boss he's never told me he wants me to leave.

"I knocked on Alex Ferguson's door after coming back from breaking a leg. I told him I was ready to face Roma and started and scored in a 7-1 Champions League win.

"I've done the same to Alan Pardew. It worked with Sir Alex but it hasn't here but at [Manchester] United there's only one boss.

"The manager doesn't blank me, he talks to me all the time, maybe even about stuff he shouldn't. We discuss different styles and how we are playing, he knows I have experience and can help out.

"Whenever I've knocked on the boss' door to ask why I'm not playing he says 'I think you understand football enough to know why'. People can draw their own conclusions on what he means by that. I'm not injured and I'm fitter and hungrier to play than ever.

"I've never been told directly Newcastle want rid of me. I could have gone out on loan but the manager didn't want me to. If he said he wanted me to go I'd respect that but he hasn't. It's weird.

"He says he wants me around and even offered me a coaching role if I pack in playing but I'm too young for that."

Man management skills mustn't have been taught at window cleaner school.

To be fair, I'd have told Smith he was utter shit and ought to be playing in League Two.

1 yr before people here were bashing Pardew for not dropping Jonas. Now people  are bashing Pardew for not picking Jonas and/or telling him he isnt good enough and should leave asap.  WTF?

Nobody is bashing Pardew for not picking Jonas and / or telling him he isn't good enough.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest plumsteadmag

any word on jonas? still missing i guess but surely a better option than abeid on the bench. does anyone know the story behind him being an outcast? i miss his flowing locks

Depends what you want. An ineffective winger who offers a bit of cover for his full back, or a young talent just off the back of a good season. Albeit in a very poor league.

We know what Jonas can do and how he's detoriated from being an already average player. I'd rather not play him again and have his contract clause come into action and see him here a season longer.

TBF to Jonas, the last time I saw him play (and I think it was his last game for us), he came on as a a sub for the last 20 minutes away to Cardiff when we were under a lot of pressure and he played well helping out the defence and we managed to hold out for a win.  An expensive squad player maybe but he would certainly have been of use in that role in other games last season.

I think there's a somewhat universal agreement that Jonas has done his best work for this club already, and that letting him go was maybe even overdue when he went to Norwich.

What I cannot accept is the treatment of a professional and NUFC player of his stature. Jonas' limitations and faults are not things he can be held responsible for, it's just the player he is and has always been. A whole-hearted, hard worker who never really let us down in terms of commitment, unlike many others. Even when played out of position, he's never, ever complained or shown us a sign of being unhappy. The fact that his reputation and affilitation with most supporters has taken a turn is the manager's fault, who kept picking him when we were in desperate need of something different.

This situation is symptomatic of the club in its current state, ostracizing and forcing him out without any touch of class whatsoever. The respect he should have earned from the owner and other people in the club after pulling us out of The Championship and leading by example during some of the most tense years in the club's recent history. That doesn't matter. A player is, much like a fan, viewed as nothing but a commodity, a broken toy being put in the basement if it's not sold.

Guest plumsteadmag

Yep looks like unfortunately it wasn't up to the high standards demanded by someone who has bothered to post over 39,000 times. Cheers for the informative response though.

To the rest though yes fair point on abeid playing well in Greece. When abeid went out on loan at the start of last season I think there would have been no argument about who you would select. He has served the club well and always appeared (well to me at least) to be a good professional, surely he deserves another chance (like obertan, abeid etc) to at least prove himself in training. The Norwich move didn't work out but he hardly played for them... Maybe hughton realised his legs had gone too.

Yep looks like unfortunately it wasn't up to the high standards demanded by someone who has bothered to post over 39,000 times. Cheers for the informative response though.

To the rest though yes fair point on abeid playing well in Greece. When abeid went out on loan at the start of last season I think there would have been no argument about who you would select. He has served the club well and always appeared (well to me at least) to be a good professional, surely he deserves another chance (like obertan, abeid etc) to at least prove himself in training. The Norwich move didn't work out but he hardly played for them... Maybe hughton realised his legs had gone too.

Does the last line though not answer why he's nowhere near contention?

I think there's a somewhat universal agreement that Jonas has done his best work for this club already, and that letting him go was maybe even overdue when he went to Norwich.

What I cannot accept is the treatment of a professional and NUFC player of his stature. Jonas' limitations and faults are not things he can be held responsible for, it's just the player he is and has always been. A whole-hearted, hard worker who never really let us down in terms of commitment, unlike many others. Even when played out of position, he's never, ever complained or shown us a sign of being unhappy. The fact that his reputation and affilitation with most supporters has taken a turn is the manager's fault, who kept picking him when we were in desperate need of something different.

This situation is symptomatic of the club in its current state, ostracizing and forcing him out without any touch of class whatsoever. The respect he should have earned from the owner and other people in the club after pulling us out of The Championship and leading by example during some of the most tense years in the club's recent history. That doesn't matter. A player is, much like a fan, viewed as nothing but a commodity, a broken toy being put in the basement if it's not sold.

I agree with that, I wouldn't play him but I don't think he should be treated like shite either and it appears like he is.

Unless Jonas has requested it, I don't understand how he is not even training at the club.  Even Ben Arfa has been allowed back at the club.

Although, didn't he have some personal issues that meant he spent some time back in Argentina last season?  If those still exist, then it probably is his decision not to come back.  If he is not going to play and he can't find a club. maybe it suits him to see out his final year back home.

I just wish this club would show some respect to the players.  Even when they leave, there is normally a curt one liner to say they have signed for x club where other clubs write lovely things, thank the player and wish them the best in the future.

It is weird that he's being allowed to train alone in Argentina. You'd think he'd still be kept around the squad unless he's being disruptive, which in fairness I can't see. They must be hoping for an offer from a South American club and with him being there it'll save time flying out.

It is weird that he's being allowed to train alone in Argentina. You'd think he'd still be kept around the squad unless he's being disruptive, which in fairness I can't see. They must be hoping for an offer from a South American club and with him being there it'll save time flying out.

All those South American clubs that are swimming in money.

My only conclusion was that's he rejected a payoff to rid him of his contract but fair play I wouldn't mind thousands of £ a week to swan about on the other side of the world.

He always gave 100% no matter what he was asked to do.  Fact is he just wasn't good enough for this level the last couple of seasons but he doesn't pick himself.  Model professional, good servant to the club and deserving of much better treatment and more respect than he's currently being shown by Pardew and co.

All those South American clubs that are swimming in money.

My only conclusion was that's he rejected a payoff to rid him of his contract but fair play I wouldn't mind thousands of £ a week to swan about on the other side of the world.

Poor Jonas, treated so terribly.