Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Jonas crossing would be fine if he wasn't running at full pelt and off balance when he connected with the ball.

No it wouldn't. Someone as limited as Nicky Summerbee was great at putting the ball into the box when running at full speed, same with Keith Gillespie. He'll never be consistently good at it.

Jonas crossing would be fine if he wasn't running at full pelt and off balance when he connected with the ball.

No it wouldn't. Someone as limited as Nicky Summerbee was great at putting the ball into the box when running at full speed, same with Keith Gillespie. He'll never be consistently good at it.

But they weren't off balance as well. I think that is the point henke was trying to make...

Guest reefatoon

You would expect a right footer playing on the left to put crosses in that were a inconsistent at times.  With Marveaux arriving, I would like to see what Jonas could do on the right using his stronger foot.

He'll be vital in the games against top 6 sides next season. He's our answer to Man U's Park, who always plays the bigger games due to his industry and good ball-carrying ability.

Guest firetotheworks

Jonas' crossing is almost good enough now. The people he was crossing it into though, aren't.

Guest Roger Kint

Jonas' crossing is almost good enough now. The people he was crossing it into though, aren't.

Aye i hate shit strikers that dont get beyond the byline to meet his crosses

Guest firetotheworks

Aye i hate s*** strikers that dont get beyond the byline to meet his crosses

Nonsense. The last part of the season both he and Jose put in absolutely blinding crosses at least twice a game each and there was absolutely no one there.

Nonsense. The last part of the season both he and Jose put in absolutely blinding crosses at least twice a game each and there was absolutely no one there.

Agreed, I remember commenting on that after some of the games.  The crosses into the box were wasted as we had nobody getting on the end of them.  All a winger can do is get the delivery into danger areas, it's up to others to get on the end of them.

Guest Roger Kint

Agreed, I remember commenting on that after some of the games.  The crosses into the box were wasted as we had nobody getting on the end of them.  All a winger can do is get the delivery into danger areas, it's up to others to get on the end of them.

While i agree in general it really depends on the circumstances. If he fires in a cross into the danger area its hardly a strikers fault if they cant physically reach that area in time. Theres also the silly notion that a winger could aim for where a striker is once in a while too, that would be a good cross finding a man rather than an area where a player may or may not be able to get to. Obviously when we are dealing with Shola/Loven etc i would prefer the winger to look for them as opposed to assuming they will make a run for you(lets face it he is wasting a cross into a good area in their case)

While i agree in general it really depends on the circumstances. If he fires in a cross into the danger area its hardly a strikers fault if they cant physically reach that area in time.

Who's is it then ? He holds the ball up cause theres nobody there he gets wrong for not drilling it in, he puts them in and it's his fault because our strikers movement is so piss poor that he's not in the danger area. He puts alot of good balls into the box, they just aren't all the traditional getting right to the line and putting a high ball into the box. He's a cultured winger not what maybe alot of people are used to. I'd enjoy to see him in the same team as Ben Arfa more I think they would link up very well.

Guest firetotheworks

While i agree in general it really depends on the circumstances. If he fires in a cross into the danger area its hardly a strikers fault if they cant physically reach that area in time. Theres also the silly notion that a winger could aim for where a striker is once in a while too, that would be a good cross finding a man rather than an area where a player may or may not be able to get to. Obviously when we are dealing with Shola/Loven etc i would prefer the winger to look for them as opposed to assuming they will make a run for you(lets face it he is wasting a cross into a good area in their case)

Not when they're not even in the box, which is usually the case.

Agreed, I remember commenting on that after some of the games.  The crosses into the box were wasted as we had nobody getting on the end of them.  All a winger can do is get the delivery into danger areas, it's up to others to get on the end of them.

Not when they're not even in the box, which is usually the case.

Are we now suggesting that Jonas is so quick he is able to outrun the team on a break to be there before the strikers ? Otherwise I'm confused as to why our strikers aren't able to get into the box when we're attacking ? Surely this stuff is worked on in training

I think the increased movement that the new players bring will be a massive plus for Jonas as he'll not have to keep looking for Enrique (if he's still here) to pass to.

I think the increased movement that the new players bring will be a massive plus for Jonas as he'll not have to keep looking for Enrique (if he's still here) to pass to.

I agree, think attacking wise we'll be pretty damn good. Still worried about just having Ba upfront though.

Guest Roger Kint

Exactly, the first sensible reply unlike that above, movement will hugely benefit him. Its all well and good putting them in areas but if you havent got the strikers to work with its wasted.

I agree, think attacking wise we'll be pretty damn good. Still worried about just having Ba upfront though.

I think Ba will turn out to be an excellent signing, he will have injuries though and loss of form so we do need another forward.  We probably need to shift one or two of the players who will not get regular games in that position.  Lovenkrands and Shola would be top of my wish list for letting go, probably in that order. 

Exactly, the first sensible reply unlike that above, movement will hugely benefit him. Its all well and good putting them in areas but if you havent got the strikers to work with its wasted.

At the end of last season we didn't have players in the box creating space which isn't the fault of Jonas.  It doesn't matter how good a passer you are, if players aren't in space then you're unlikely to find them with the ball.  In that situation you have two options, hit the ball into space, or keep a hold of it and lose possession.

Guest Roger Kint

At the end of last season we didn't have players in the box creating space which isn't the fault of Jonas.  It doesn't matter how good a passer you are, if players aren't in space then you're unlikely to find them with the ball.  In that situation you have two options, hit the ball into space, or keep a hold of it and lose possession.

So you think as its Shola in the box who isnt going to make a run you say options 1 and 2 are kick it into empty space or keep it and lose it? Ahead of trying to find him and seeing if he can do something or the ball may drop to someone else? Fair enough. Guess we agree to disagree then.

So you think as its Shola in the box who isnt going to make a run you say options 1 and 2 are kick it into empty space or keep it and lose it? Ahead of trying to find him and seeing if he can do something or the ball may drop to someone else? Fair enough. Guess we agree to disagree then.

Why is Shola being told not to attack those positions ? I know some see him as a lost cause but that's just crazy. The ball was also being played to Nolan in and around the box to try and feet the ball to the feet of Shola but can't just follow one route the whole game.

Plus putting the ball into a danger area worries a defender who can make a mistake of putting the ball into his own net that's why the ball should always try to be put there surely ?

Guest Roger Kint
Why is Shola being told not to attack those positions ?

I give up replying to you as its only going to be an argument given this response. Jesus wept!

Moving into space should be basic for any footballer who is looking to receive the ball.

Guest Roger Kint

Moving into space should be basic for any footballer who is looking to receive the ball.

Ok for the cheap seats. Its Shola we are talking about ffs what you expect to be done is irrelevant if playing alongside him you should really play to what he will do rather than what you know he wont. Like questioning his ability to stay onside, we all know it but it wont fucking change.

It will be, so many times you would you see players double up on him last season because he would be the only one willing to run with it from midfield, Having Ben Arfa should hopefully put an end to so much of that.