Would Jonas make a better central midfielder?

James

No.

I assume someone (Ronaldo?) has already referenced the utterly garbage 45 minutes he had there against Stoke in the 2-2 during the relegation season? He was passed to death by the likes of Glenn fucking Whelan man, he's not cut out for the position.

No way. He's got nothing to suggest he'd be a good central midfielder for me, goes down too easily, would get bossed around as I think I saw someone else say.

As much as we'd like to think Skirge's formation would be good, one of the best things about Jonas is his link up play with Jose, first we'd lose that, second, it's been proven time and time again that he's utter garbage at wing back.

He's certainly got his limitations as a winger, but it's his strongest position, and who the hell is going to replace him out there? I thought Ben Arfa was brought in to play down the centre, probably wouldn't be happy if he was shunted out on the wing to accomodate a lesser player in the blind hope that said player might be a bit better in the centre than on the wing.

not so much a central midfielder but with the arrival of ben arfa i'd like to see all three of routledge,jonas and ben arfa switch a lot more rather than the rigid ,joans out left,routledge right that we are used to, which ought to mean them using there heads more to play into spaces of the positions other have taken up or are about to take up.

I think the fact he's being mentioned as a central midfielder option is more of an indictment of our current central midfielders than a vote of confidence in his ability. Check Tiote will hopefully solve one half of the problem area but we still lack drive and mobility going forward in central midfield. Jonas isn't the answer, he's fast but he lacks quality in decision making and end product. Guthrie and Barton for now, with Gosling competing when fit. It's the best we can do until we can afford to buy a real midfielder.

Guest neesy111

He'll be here for the coming season, but next summer we need to get rid if we are to improve the left side of the team, and also to give some ammunition to our strikers.  The fact we're talking about him in the center shows what we think of his skills as a winger.

Also I don't believe his dribbling is up to skill, as he always goes into men when dribbling as pointed by ObiChris in the other Jonas thread.

Feel free to correct me, but whenever I've watched him he's looked decent enough on the wing against poor defenders and that's about it. His final delivery is more often than not wasteful and I see no obvious passing ability that would merit him being in the centre of midfield. I can see why people would like him because he does seem to put in a shift but I don't see any particularly outstanding offensive attributes. Make of this what you will but I'd have no problem with Hibbert being against him on Saturday.

Guest neesy111

Feel free to correct me, but whenever I've watched him he's looked decent enough on the wing against poor defenders and that's about it. His final delivery is more often than not wasteful and I see no obvious passing ability that would merit him being in the centre of midfield. I can see why people would like him because he does seem to put in a shift but I don't see any particularly outstanding offensive attributes. Make of this what you will but I'd have no problem with Hibbert being against him on Saturday.

You've got him in one there.  If I were a right back I would just force him out wide because if i knew he was going to cross then 9 times out of 10 it will likely not end up in anything.  I do understand why people like the workrate of him etc.  But his job as a winger is to provide service and some goals, for which he does neither and also he's likely to give the ball back to the opposition due to his inability on the ball.

Guest Tall Striker

No, his best attribute is his dribbling and that would be negated in the middle.

You want your CM's to be able to go and get on the ball and attempt to dictate the tempo of the game, generally a lad who can't hid the side of a barn door isn't going to do well in that role.

His worst attribute is crossing.

For what it's worth, I feel he does bring something to the team, he seems to enhance Enrique's game, because he creates a lot of space for Enrique to run into. But maybe i'm seeing positives because when you look 30 yards to his right you have Alan Smith.

At the end of the day though, a Premier League winger should be able to cross the ball. Jonas can't.

His main attribute is that ability to use his pace and strength to get past the full back into the space behind. He wouldn't be able to use that down the centre.

Also, with those long legs of his, he finds it difficult to deliver a quick pass. He usually has to set himself, by which time a defender is often able to get a block in. I think that problem would be even worse in the centre, and he'd just end up losing the ball.

The fact that some folk feel the need to accomodate a player who failed to shine even in the championship says it all. Hype has done wonders for his career.

Hmmm - despite the fact that he was very highly rated in Spain, you know better?

His passing isn't bad, seen him play some lovely reverse passes on numerous occasions and he's nifty with the outside of his boot it's just that nobody makes a run ahead of him to do these passes. The problem for Jonas is the way we play, he'd be a lot more effective with a striker that moves ahead of him and a CM that can keep up as i think Jonas suffers from a lack of options.

His crossing is only poor with his left foot, he has a decent delivery on his right tbh but i don't see why this is Jonas' fault some of the best players in the world are ridiculously one-footed it's just their managers play to their strengths.

His shooting isn't terrible either, he can hit them even Stevie G would have been over the moon with that strike last season.

Guest Roger Kint

How highly rated? Source?

When it comes to kicking a football he is technically woeful, he just about manages to handle the open space out wide what chance in a congested space?

You want me to find example of people saying 'Jonas was highly rated'?  It was pretty well known that Jonas, Arango and Guiza formed a pretty amazing trio for Mallorca.  I'm not going to do a series of web trawls for an exact quote ffs.

The fact that some folk feel the need to accomodate a player who failed to shine even in the championship says it all. Hype has done wonders for his career.

Hmmm - despite the fact that he was very highly rated in Spain, you know better?

Eh? No. He had the same rep that he has with you lot. Flashy runs with no end product, although due to his age he was regarded as having potential to be good.

Fair enough - that is completely contrary to everything I remember reading about him before there was any speculation about him coming here.  Sources I remember commenting on him were Sid Lowe (Spanish correspondent for World Soccer) and Guillem Balague (admittedly his opinion can't really be trusted).  I seem to remember Tim Vickery talking about him fairly favourably as well.

Guest Roger Kint

You want me to find example of people saying 'Jonas was highly rated'?  It was pretty well known that Jonas, Arango and Guiza formed a pretty amazing trio for Mallorca.  I'm not going to do a series of web trawls for an exact quote ffs.

You claimed a fact he was very highly rated. Sorry if it inconveniences you to back up such tosh yet you expect Ronaldo to justify his post.........

The season we bought him Guiza, Ibagaza, Borja and Arango got all the assists/goals/headlines from what i remember.

Edit:  :iamatwat: