Everton 0 - 1 Newcastle United - 18/09/10 - post match reaction from page 36

Dave

We were a total f***ing shambles.

Haven't played that badly for a long time. Serious questions need asking in the dressing room after that s***. I had to give my liver a severe punishing post-game :lol:

We made you play s***.

A large part of it was Moyes getting the tactics drastically wrong and a very lax attitude from the players.

Yes, NUFC closed us down well and pressured us over the pitch but most teams will come to Goodison and do that. I don't think we'll play that badly again all season though.

Fully deserved win for you yesterday, mind.

Barton and Tiote completely shut down Everton and Arteta, as gifted as he is, couldn't get going. Whilst I quite like Fellaini his performance yesterday was little more than clumsy.

I think there's a pretty decent gap between us still, not monumental, but decent sized. Anyway, before the season started I got the feeling that a lot of Everton fans were confident about what they could achieve this season, why is this? I just don't see anything different to years gone by. Everton look like a narrowly top-half team, nothing more, but I just felt that a lot of Everton fans felt that this season they'd really push on. Is this my misconception, or is there some reason that I'm missing? I've seen nothing much in the way of strengthening in the summer, so why would they be better?

Bit disappointed with the idea that we stifled Everton in the game by simply getting in faces and closing down etc. We played by far the better football overall, we hardly parked the bus.

totally agree. first half, yes we were closing down well etc - you wouldnt expect nothing less. but for long periods they simply couldnt get the ball off us. we were playing some fantastic football in their half, it had balls to do with getting in their faces, we simply played much better football than them

Bit disappointed with the idea that we stifled Everton in the game by simply getting in faces and closing down etc. We played by far the better football overall, we hardly parked the bus.

That's true enough but our central midfield on the day was good enough to minimise the threat from Everton whilst still looking to create.

I think there's a pretty decent gap between us still, not monumental, but decent sized. Anyway, before the season started I got the feeling that a lot of Everton fans were confident about what they could achieve this season, why is this? I just don't see anything different to years gone by. Everton look like a narrowly top-half team, nothing more, but I just felt that a lot of Everton fans felt that this season they'd really push on. Is this my misconception, or is there some reason that I'm missing? I've seen nothing much in the way of strengthening in the summer, so why would they be better?

Injuries. We have a fit squad this time around instead of every other player slipping over banana skins and knacking themselves like we had last season. We'll come good but it's ridiculously frustrating to start like we have, yet again. We should have beat Villa and Wolves but yesterday we were awful and deservedly got beat.

Injuries. We have a fit squad this time around instead of every other player slipping over banana skins and knacking themselves like we had last season. We'll come good but it's ridiculously frustrating to start like we have, yet again. We should have beat Villa and Wolves but yesterday we were awful and deservedly got beat.

Yeah I suppose injuries have been a bit of a bitch to you, but you've not strengthened to cover for any potential injuries this season have you? So if a few players pick up knocks, what's the difference from last season? It'd help if you had someone who could score goals and not be massively injury prone / fat.

Yeah I suppose injuries have been a bit of a bitch to you, but you've not strengthened to cover for any potential injuries this season have you? So if a few players pick up knocks, what's the difference from last season? It'd help if you had someone who could score goals and not be massively injury prone / fat.

If the transfer budget was anymore than 37p and 2 packs of McCoys, I think Moyes would have gone and got a pretty good striker. As it is, we got 2 unknowns and Jermaine Beckford.

If the transfer budget was anymore than 37p and 2 packs of McCoys, I think Moyes would have gone and got a pretty good striker. As it is, we got 2 unknowns and Jermaine Beckford.

Funnily enough, that's exactly what we're asking for Leon Best.

Fwiw, I hold hope for Yakubu, SEMTEX. He's done alright in his last 2 appearances and shown signs of a bit of fight about him.

He looked quite good last season, whenever I saw him.

He needs to trim off a bit of the weight before he starts to threaten again like.

Fwiw, I hold hope for Yakubu, SEMTEX. He's done alright in his last 2 appearances and shown signs of a bit of fight about him.

Yakubu is certainly a good player to have, but I wouldn't ever want to rely on him as the number 1 striker. Too inconsistent for my liking.

Saha might as well be dead and I've not seen enough of Beckford to write him off, but fuck it, he's shit.

If you had that 1 consistent striker, I'd be a lot more confident that Everton could achieve something. God knows who you'd ever be able to get though, can't think of any cheap options, but tbh, cheap options and European qualification aren't really that compatible.

Yakubu is certainly a good player to have, but I wouldn't ever want to rely on him as the number 1 striker. Too inconsistent for my liking.

Saha might as well be dead and I've not seen enough of Beckford to write him off, but fuck it, he's shit.

If you had that 1 consistent striker, I'd be a lot more confident that Everton could achieve something. God knows who you'd ever be able to get though, can't think of any cheap options, but tbh, cheap options and European qualification aren't really that compatible.

I'm hopeful. If Marcus Bent can lead you to 4th, anything is possible.

Agree with that Dave - the 74 Dutch team were praised for being the inventors of 'Total Football' but although they played a great passing game,they were renowned for pressuring the opposition and winning the ball ; you have to HAVE the ball before you can play with it...

We did that yesterday and whilst I'm NOT saying we play as well as Cruyff, Neeskens and co, we were the better footballing side, certainly for at least half of the game.

We were crap last week, good this one - mainly because of two new players and a wholehearted team performance.

40-60 posession in the first half says we did a lot more than just 'stifle Everton'. It was one of the most dominant 45 minutes your likely to see from an away team against an apparantly "far superior" side this season.

I'm happy for the fans of Everton & Villa et all to keep on considering us a Championship fodder, makes the 3 points all the more sweater.

40-60 posession in the first half says we did a lot more than just 'stifle Everton'. It was one of the most dominant 45 minutes your likely to see from an away team against an apparantly "far superior" side this season.

I'm happy for the fans of Everton & Villa et all to keep on considering us a Championship fodder, makes the 3 points all the more sweater.

Who said that like?