Chelsea v Newcastle United - Wed 22nd September -7:45pm - League Cup 3rd Rd

Fenham Mag
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carlo Ancelotti believes it will be a good experience for his Chelsea youngsters to play against Newcastle United in the Carling Cup.

Chelsea have enjoyed a blistering start to the new season after scoring 21 goals en route to five successive Premier League wins and also blasted four past MSK Zilina in the UEFA Champions League.

However, Wednesday's third-round visit of Newcastle will provide Ancelotti with the opportunity to leave out several of his established names.

In their place will come Daniel Sturridge, Gael Kakuta, Jeffrey Bruma and Patrick van Aanholt, and Ancelotti feels the young players are ready to take their chance.

Quality

"It is a good experience for them to play this kind of game," said Ancelotti.

"They are involved this season more compared to last season and when there is an opportunity I want to give them the opportunity to play and show their quality.

"Sturridge played in the Champions League, Kakuta played two games, Bruma played in the last game against Blackpool and they will get more opportunities to play.

"The Academy has done a good job in the last years and now we have the young players ready to play in our squad."

Petr Cech, Didier Drogba, Ashley Cole, Michael Essien and John Obi Mikel will not be involved, but Ancelotti revealed captain John Terry may play half a game against Newcastle.

He added: "JT is fit to play and maybe can play for 45 minutes which could help Bruma, but Lampard is not available."

the league cup is like the commonwealth games, f***ing pointless and no-one really takes it sriously, it's the child that is begotten form a wifes weekend fling that the husband tolerates for the sake of not wanting to his wifer to leave and him to be lonely. honestly don't care if we go out and would much rather go out than any of our players suffer any sort of injury in this rotten competition.

I think it's decent as an opportunity for bleeding in younger players on the fringe of the squad. Of course it's pretty useless when you have no youth talent to speak of, as we did up to a few years ago, but now I appreciate the fact that we'll get to bring on the likes of Vuckic and Ranger alongside regular first-teamers in a high profile environment.

Guest neesy111

Not fussed about this cup.. tonight we get knocked out anyway, have a go at the FA Cup and lets do our very best to stay up, do we need extra Carling Cup games?

yes, if it wins a trophy.

god man, so many people complain we haven't won a trophy is donkeys, then treat this competition with comptempt.

Not fussed about this cup.. tonight we get knocked out anyway, have a go at the FA Cup and lets do our very best to stay up, do we need extra Carling Cup games?

yes, if it wins a trophy.

god man, so many people complain we haven't won a trophy is donkeys, then treat this competition with comptempt.

Good point actually, the two cups represent the only realistiic opportunity smaller cups have to fluke a trophy in this day and age.

Guest neesy111

We are entered in 3 competitions a season, and the premier league we will never win.

If we make the semi's of the CC for example, then give the FA cup a back pedal then.

We are currently the sort of club who should be trying to win this. Some big teams have already been knocked out.

I wouldn't risk anyone who we have no adequate backup for (Enrique, Carroll), but as Ash says I would play the strongest team of non-essential players, with a few first teamers mixed.

I hope we go for it tonight and don't sit back and hope to nick a 1-0. My lineup would be:

Krul

R.Taylor

Campbell

Williamson

Kadar

Ranger

Vukcic

Smith

Jonas

Amoebi

Lovenkrands

Not the best lineup we could put out but at the same time we do need to give games to our squad players.

Maybe it's already been discussed, but why are sky showing Scunthorpe - Man Utd?

Our match is shown live in Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

Potential upset i guess. Southend beat Man United a couple of seasons back. Higher viewing figures for Sky. Our match is considered a home banker by anyone that isn't a daftie NUFC fan.

Maybe it's already been discussed, but why are sky showing Scunthorpe - Man Utd?

Our match is shown live in Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

Potential upset i guess. Southend beat Man United a couple of seasons back. Higher viewing figures for Sky. Our match is considered a home banker by anyone that isn't a daftie NUFC fan.

And by many who are.