Chelsea v Newcastle United - Wed 22nd September -7:45pm - League Cup 3rd Rd

Fenham Mag
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Soderberg

Tavernier        Campbell      Kadar            Ferguson

Smith

Raylor                                        Vuckic

Ranger                                                                          Lovenkrands

Ameobi

subs- alwnick, tozer, donaldson, edmundsson, airey, newton, best

I think we can expect something like this from Chelsea:

Turnbull

Ferreira    Alex    Bruma  Van Aanholt

Mikel  Ramires

Benayoun  Kakuta  Zhirkov

Sturridge

We can get a result against these mind.

Potential benefit: Cup run.

Potential cost: More fixtures, potential for injuries to key first team players. 

Cost > benefit.

If this was a later stage of the competition, then maybe it would be worth having a go.  But it isn't.  If something happened to Carroll, HBA, Enrique etc. it could destroy us.  Play the kids, take the beating, move on.

I think we can expect something like this from Chelsea:

Turnbull

Ferreira    Alex    Bruma  Van Aanholt

Mikel   Ramires

Benayoun   Kakuta   Zhirkov

Sturridge

We can get a result against these mind.

if we play our 2nd string against that team there, we will get fecking battered.

Potential benefit: Cup run.

Potential cost: More fixtures, potential for injuries to key first team players. 

Cost > benefit.

If this was a later stage of the competition, then maybe it would be worth having a go.  But it isn't.  If something happened to Carroll, HBA, Enrique etc. it could destroy us.  Play the kids, take the beating, move on.

Pretty much the way I feel about it.  Give all of the fringe players some time but keep all of the big guns out.  Maybe give Krul a go though.  Overall it's just not worth the cost at this point.  Premiership is our #1 worry.

we can't possibly start getting carried away with a cup run when in reality we'd still be likely to run into an everton, tottenham, villa, birmingham, liverpool, fulham or sunderland who'd be favoured to beat us in an away fixture.

we've had two great wins against villa and everton, but survival is the absolute key. i'd play krul as i think 90 minutes of (presumably fairly busy) action will help him, but after that, i'd be giving the likes of lovenkrands, ameobi, smith, gutierrez, taylor, campbell, kadar and ranger a game.

Just realised some of the players that aren't getting into the side at the moment, either through injury or just not selected. Okay there's no worldbeaters there but we DO actually have reasonable strength in depth. Compared to in the past when we were basically down to bare bones and had just kids on the bench.

This is a match I'd like to see club captain Nolan heading up.

Would be great to see him take control of the game and lead out a team of youngsters with a few other strong characters.

I think the best thing to try and do here would be to give a decent account of ourselves but I'd be happy to be out, the Carling Cup can't be a major priority for us this season. Morale doesn't seem to be much of a big deal with this Newcastle side after we picked ourselves up so well from the Blackpool game. So I don't thing anyone can argue against diving out of the cup. (just so long as its not a belly-flop)

Also with Arfa on the scene we could rest Nolan at the weekend; play 4-2-3-1 with Arfa in the central attacking midfield role and go all out against Stoke.

Any thoughts?

Guest BEN BEN BEN ARFA

I saw the game Saturday and I think you have a good team well balanced on all the lines but it marks automation. that is why they should play together tomorrow even 60 "

you will annoy more than équpe this year if you stayed with the same estab Despres.

sorry for the spelling

Guest neesy111

I reckon it'll be 0-0 and then Chelsea will score in the dying seconds like they always do against us in this competition.  i.e. 01-02 quarter final

We should probably play Perch here, correct me if I'm wrong but his suspension doesn't begin till the weekend? if we play R.Taylor and something happens then we're looking at Tavernier (is he fit?) or someone out of position against Stoke.

We should probably play Perch here, correct me if I'm wrong but his suspension doesn't begin till the weekend? if we play R.Taylor and something happens then we're looking at Tavernier (is he fit?) or someone out of position against Stoke.

Perch is suspended for this game and available for Stoke apparently where i've no doubt he'll pick up his 6th booking in succesive league games.

Soderberg

R.Taylor

Campbell

Kadar

Ferguson

Ranger

Smith

Vuckic

Donaldson

Lovenkrands

Shola

Most realistic one so far.

I'd be happy with that.

Think we need to give Krul, Tiote and Ben Arfa some gametime, will only make them better. Then maybe take out tiote and ben arfa around 60 min. to keep them fit for the weekend.