Carling Cup fourth round - Arsenal (h) Pre-Match Thread

Decky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

You know, people's treatment of the Carling Cup (those wanting a weakened team because of the league aside) leads me to me to start and understand where alot of the media get this 'Newcastle fans are delusional' tagline from.

'mickey mouse cup' ffs. How can we be picky after 50 odd years without a domestic trophy?

Any knockout competition where clubs play massively weakened teams is mickey mouse

Would I like Newcastle to win it? Certainly

But lets not kid ourselves, the league cup is a joke

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/9059400.stm

West Brom are sixth in the Premier League after a win over Fulham last Saturday and manager Roberto Di Matteo chose to give the team that earned that win a rest as he made 11 changes.

Leicester counterpart Sven-Goran Eriksson made eight changes and, although his side made the better start, the Foxes soon found themselves behind.

Guest Roger Kint

Would like to see:

Krul

Raylor-Willo-Kadar-Ferguson

Routledge-Guthrie-Smith-Vuckic

Xisco-Loven

Soderberg, Nolan(or Ameobi), Barton, Jonas, Ranger, Colo, Perch

Guest Brummiemag

Playing anything less than our strongest possible team is a complete disgrace in my opinion. If we win tonight we have decent chance of winning it or at least getting to the final. For me and most of Newcastle mates this game should be more important than the West Ham game last Saturday.

Arsenal have not won a domestic trophy for 5 years so they are taking it seriously. We haven't won a domestic trophy for 55 years and we are not bothered. How shameful is that when potentially we are the bigger club.

Its a joke - when the hell does it become acceptable to go for the cup. This represents a great chance of getting to the quarter finals and to play anything less than a full strength team is completely unacceptable. No wonder they are predicting a low crowd

Playing anything less than our strongest possible team is a complete disgrace in my opinion. If we win tonight we have decent chance of winning it or at least getting to the final. For me and most of Newcastle mates this game should be more important than the West Ham game last Saturday.

Arsenal have not won a domestic trophy for 5 years so they are taking it seriously. We haven't won a domestic trophy for 55 years and we are not bothered. How shameful is that when potentially we are the bigger club.

Its a joke - when the hell does it become acceptable to go for the cup. This represents a great chance of getting to the quarter finals and to play anything less than a full strength team is completely unacceptable. No wonder they are predicting a low crowd

I think most of us would want our strongest team, if it wasn't for a certain fixture coming up on Sunday.

I get the feeling we're going to get spanked tonight.

Probably will but I'm sure Houghton expected to go out in the last round

I honestly don't see the big deal. With the way this club's gone over the past few years I'd rather all energy spent on PL survival. Field the strongest team without it being a detriment to Sunday. It's not like we're even in the quarters or semis just yet, it's only the last 16. Why push the boat out to win this competition if ultimately it causes us to drop points in the PL and suck us into a relegation battle? We've gone this long without a trophy, why the sudden at all costs desperation? We'll probably only get Man U if we do get through anyway :lol:

Guest Brummiemag

I'm not sure thats the case Sewelly reading some of the comments on here. And besides I don't understand where this resting players mentality has come from over the last few years - it never used to be a problem.

I also suspect we would be playing a weakened team no matter who our opponents were on Sunday and for a club without a domestic trophy in 55 years that shows a huge lack of ambition

Arsenal won't play their full strength team.

Arsene: It's OK Chris, I'm giving some fringe players a chance

Chris: Nice one, me too. Alan, Peter, Haris, Ryan, get your gear ready, you're on tonight.

6 hours later

Arsene: Here's the thing Chris. Cesc, Andrei and Sammy all randomly went shopping at the Metro Centre today, and they've got nowt to do tonight, so....

Chris: Uh-oh!

Krul

Perch Willy Collo Raylor

Smith

Ranger Guthrie Vuckic Ferguson

Lovenkrands

I wouldn't mind seeing Fergy play further up to give him a bit more freedom, because we're crying out for a winger that can whip a decent ball in. Ranger has been doing really well on the right, arriving late in the box at the back post so he deserves another chance. I think Lovenkrands needs a game and Hughton will be keeping Carroll and Shola fresh for Sunday. Obviously Smith holding in the middle to let Guthrie get on the ball more and Vuckic to push forward. Id be tempted to give Tavernier a game instead of Collo aswell.

Arsenal won't play their full strength team.

Arsene: It's OK Chris, I'm giving some fringe players a chance

Chris: Nice one, me too. Alan, Peter, Haris, Ryan, get your gear ready, you're on tonight.

6 hours later

Arsene: Here's the thing Chris. Cesc, Andrei and Sammy all randomly went shopping at the Metro Centre today, and they've got nowt to do tonight, so....

Chris: Uh-oh!

haha!

Personally, I hope we fucking give it a good go tonight. The lads that played at chelsea all did well, so i'm happy to give some of them another chance. would like a bit of experience in there too. If we pull off another shock win tonight then i'd be pissed off if we go out to a 'beatable' team in the next round.

Guest michaelfoster

Would like to see Xisco get a game to see what he can actually do.

Yeah, me too.

Try and bend Fabregas over

It's just as much about giving your fringe players some time on the pitch, keeping them match fit should we need them as it is about resting the players that play every week. Plus after the performance at Chelsea, they deserve to keep going in this cup.

It's just as much about giving your fringe players some time on the pitch, keeping them match fit should we need them as it is about resting the players that play every week. Plus after the performance at Chelsea, they deserve to keep going in this cup.

And if they win tonight they shouldn be pretty much all guarenteed a start in the next round, regardless of who we are playing.

Morla- that side you've selected is ridiculous.

Explain.

Well to start you have a right sided player at left back and a out of form midget playing as a lone striker.

If we somehow make it through today's game and we meet Man U in the latter stages, they'll play full strength. Berba and Hernandez up against Kadar and Ferguson wouldn't make for pretty viewing.