Carling Cup fourth round - Arsenal (h) Pre-Match Thread

Decky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest BEN BEN BEN ARFA

big big game tonight

Difficult but not impossible as  chelsea

I myself believe if we keep the same mindset

is clear  :undecided:

if not the French version

gros gros match ce soir

Difficile mais pas impossible comme a chelsea

Moi j’y crois si nous gardons le même état d’esprit

si on joue assez haut

I wouldn't mind having Perch at centre back for this game, he played well there against Deportivo in pre-season. Who knows, he may actually do alright, and it's not too vital if he doesn't in this particular fixture.

You know, people's treatment of the Carling Cup (those wanting a weakened team because of the league aside) leads me to me to start and understand where alot of the media get this 'Newcastle fans are delusional' tagline from.

'mickey mouse cup' ffs. How can we be picky after 50 odd years without a domestic trophy?

You know, people's treatment of the Carling Cup (those wanting a weakened team because of the league aside) leads me to me to start and understand where alot of the media get this 'Newcastle fans are delusional' tagline from.

'mickey mouse cup' ffs. How can we be picky after 50 odd years without a domestic trophy?

:clap: :clap:

I'd say being fully aware of the need to put points first makes us anything but delusional.

Guest BEN BEN BEN ARFA

BEN BEN BEN ARFA, did you support Newcastle before Hatem arrived?

I'm a fan of Hatem Ben Arfa

but I became a SUPPORTAIR Newcastle

with the support you give to his arrival at hatem

has since received his aggression against his city can not let you indifferent

je suis un fan d’ hatem ben arfa

mais je suis devenu un supportaire  de Newcastle

avec le soutient que vous avez donner a hatem à son arrivé

est depuis son agression qu’il a reçu contre city ne peut pas vous laissez insensible

Barring injuries, play the same team as you did against Chelsea, surely?

Quite a few things have changed since then. Jonas and Shola are now first teamers and Guthrie is back from injury. Reckon we'll see a few changes from that team.

In which case, something like:

Krul

Raylor

Williamson

Colo

Ferguson

Ranger

Guthrie

Tiote

Vuckic

Xisco

Lovenkrands

...? I think you've got a good shout in this match, as long as Hughton doesn't take the piss with the team too much. I reckon he'll play Lovenkrands because he'll want Carroll and Ameobi 'fresh' for Sunday.

Arsenal will be no walkover even with our best XI, and a few of our players may have one eye on the weekend and lose focus on tonight. Sunday is afterall probably the biggest game of our season. If the fans are thinking that way the players will be too. At least the fringe players and youngsters will be desperate to impress in the spotlight and stake their claim, as Ameobi did at Chelsea.

I hope the team isn't too under-strength though as there is no point 'forfeiting' a winnable game and a chance to go far in the competition. Hopefully Hughton can find the right compromise and put out a team that will give Arsenal something to worry about.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Krul

Raylor

Williamson

Colo

Ferguson

Ranger

Guthrie

Tiote

Vuckic

Xisco

Lovenkrands

...? I think you've got a good shout in this match, as long as Hughton doesn't take the piss with the team too much. I reckon he'll play Lovenkrands because he'll want Carroll and Ameobi 'fresh' for Sunday.

Throw in Smith for Tiote and Kadar for Colo and I'm happy. Colo and Tiote are big players, needed for Sunday.

Krul

Raylor

Williamson

Colo

Ferguson

Ranger

Guthrie

Tiote

Vuckic

Xisco

Lovenkrands

Will be Smith instead of Tiote

Wouldn't be surprised to see something like this, based on who needs games and who will be rested for Sunday:

------------------------Krul--------------------

Perch---Williamson---Coloccini---Ferguson

R.Taylor---Vuckic--Smith----Routledge

----------------Ranger---Lovenkrands

Bench: Soderberg, Kadar, Guthrie, Gutierrez, Carroll, Xisco, Tiote

With Campbell and Taylor not ready for the weekend, we can't afford an injury to the centre backs. However, I'll be surprised if he starts Kadar there against Arsenal. It's the one area you would want experience and they tend to do less running than other players hence less need of a rest.

Completely forgot about Routledge. :lol:

That looks very feasible, ohmelads. Maybe it's just Champ Man/FM taking over my mind here but I always was hesitant to rest defenders too much. Since they don't exert themselves as much usually, I'd try to keep them the same, as a solid, consistent unit. Particularly the CBs.

Guest michaelfoster

Krul

Kadar

Coloccini ©

Williamson

Tavernier

Ferguson

Guthrie

Vuckic

R.Taylor

Lovenkrands

Ameobi