Carling Cup fourth round - Arsenal (h) Pre-Match Thread

Decky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The more Shola plays, the better. He seems to be a confidence player. If he plays and scores on Wednesday, he'll be better for it on Sunday IMO.

Yeah, I would agree with this. Injury is a risk, but he might equally get injured in training etc, so I wouldn't worry too much (touch wood).

If Wenger is having us on over this "strongest XI" thing, here is a team he could put out if he was looking to rest almost everybody that played today:

Szczesny

Eboue Koscielny Djourou/Squillaci Gibbs

Rosicky Diaby Wilshere

Walcott Vela

Bendtner

I would honestly be surprised to see him go too strong again, with a game more-or-less every 3 days for them until the middle of November (6 in 18 days), but who knows?

I still think that team up there would see them have enough to get by our lot, especially if they put a few of their best players on the bench just in case, based on what we'll probably field.

That looks pretty much how i expect apart from as ElDiablo says, Lansbury will be in there i think along with Emmanuel-Thomas he's just too good for reserve level.

Szczesny

Eboue - Koscielny - Djourou - Gibbs

Diaby - Rosicky

Walcott - Lansbury - Vela

Bendtner

I expect something like that with Denilson, Emmanuel-Thomas and Nordtveit all coming on at some point.

CHRIS HUGHTON will break up his Upton Park heroes when Arsenal come to St James' Park in the Carling Cup on Wednesday night.

The Newcastle manager has promised he will make changes to his side for the visit of the Gunners but, as the competition gathers momentum, several key men are keen to play in the clash.

The Chronicle understands that Nile Ranger, Haris Vuckic and Tamas Kadar are all in contention to start the game, while Hughton seems almost certain to rest Andy Carroll.

And Ryan Taylor, Peter Lovenkrands and Danny Guthrie are also in line to take on Arsene Wenger’s troopers.

Hughton said today: “I’ll definitely make changes – how many, I don’t know.

“It will be an opportunity for a lot of players.

“We’re at home – it’s a nice opportunity for us.”

Yet Hughton conceded the task to name his team will mean a few hard decisions, after the Toon’s exploits in the East End.

Hughton, who won the League Cup as coach with Tottenham Hotspur in 1999, may be without Sol Campbell, who is still struggling with thigh problems.

And after the 2-1 win at West Ham, Hughton said: “I’m struggling to think of anybody who didn’t perform well. The two centre-halves, and in particular Willo, were tested early on, but he came on to a good game. There were so many good performances.”

Meanwhile Hughton called reserve team assistant manager Steve Stone up to first team duty at Upton Park and is expected to meet with his board this week to begin the process of appointing a new face following Colin Calderwood’s exit last week to Hibernian.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2010/10/25/chris-hughton-reshuffle-for-carling-cup-test-72703-27539264/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I've just got tickets to this game today, so hopefully we will manage to win somehow, for that though we would have to put out our first team and for Arsenal to put out their 8th.

Imagine how happy we would be if we our next 2 games compared to how we were after Wigan?

I think this week is going to be a great week or a terrible week, no grey areas. Lets hope for a great week.

I was made up with are responce when we played Wigan! This might sound negertive but i think going out of the carling cup might do us a favor to be honest

At a guess...

Krul

Perch       Kadar     Willamson     Ferguson

Smith

Guthrie

Raylor                                     Ranger   

Xisco         Lovenkrands   

Although, i'd personally like to see Routledge and Shola in for Loven and Raylor. Hughton also likes a big striker up front so i can see something different there.

Hughton actually has plenty of options if he isn't going to play the first teamers.

At a guess...

Krul

Perch       Kadar     Willamson     Ferguson

Smith

Guthrie

Raylor                                     Ranger   

Xisco         Lovenkrands   

Although, i'd personally like to see Routledge and Shola in for Loven and Raylor. Hughton also likes a big striker up front so i can see something different there.

Hughton actually has plenty of options if he isn't going to play the first teamers.

swap ranger with Xisco and that would be my team to play plus i yhimk that will be Hughtons team

Aye toook me a while to decide which way round i thought he would do it but you are probably correct. I can see Xisco on the left but i can see Ranger left out for another midfielder like Vuckic.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Dont agree with most, we should be trying to win this and putting out the strongest team possible.  Knock them out and we have a reasonable chance.

League is far more important. Don't care about any cups, cannot risk a single injury to a first teamer.

Dont agree with most, we should be trying to win this and putting out the strongest team possible.  Knock them out and we have a reasonable chance.

League is far more important. Don't care about any cups, cannot risk a single injury to a first teamer.

That's a really shocking attitude you have in my opinion tbh. Cause we've won like millions of domestic cups since '55 so we can afford to just fuck them off every year.

I fear injuries just as much as you but fuck man we've got to put everything we have into winning a cup aswell as staying in the league.

That's a really shocking attitude you have in my opinion tbh. Cause we've won like millions of domestic cups since '55 so we can afford to just f*** them off every year.

I fear injuries just as much as you but f*** man we've got to put everything we have into winning a cup aswell as staying in the league.

:clap: fuck me, some sense at last.

Some people really need to get over this myth that it's one or the other.

I'd go strong, without doubt. Win this and we could seriously think of a Wembley day out.

Krul

R Taylor - Perch - Coloccini - Ferguson

Routledge - Guthrie - Tiote - Jonas

Ameobi - Carroll

Subs: Soderberg, Williamson, Kadar, Vuckic, Smith, Ranger, Lovenkrands

Guest Heneage

We should play the youngsters for experience and a chance to monitor their progress the injury theory is a bit pessimistic.