Newcastle United 1 - 2 Stoke City - 26/09/10 - post match reaction from page 31

Dave

Would of people rather have beaten Blackpool and Stoke at home than Villa and Everton?

I would say Yes, while winning in 3 points, taking it against rival clubs in the league means it's bit more valuable.

I wouldn't, but I can see why people would... it fits into all the cliches about home record and beating the teams around you.

We've shown we can compete with anyone, that's something Hughton can use. We could also easily have beaten Blackpool and drawn with Stoke on another day.

We're in a decent position in the table, no need to panic at this point. There are warning signs with selection and subs, but Hughton still has time to correct them.

We have NOT shown that we can 'compete with anyone'...we lost at SJP to two sides that most people would have bet on us beating at home.

We were lucky to hit on a Villa side in the middle of a management change(remember NUFC at OT after Allardyce was fired ?) and I reckon they would 'do' us now...

Everton have had a bad start and were without Tim Cahill when we played them.

As for Hughton 'using' something, how about using his brain(and b---s)and dropping Nolan when he is not contributing to the side ?

Will you still say we have proved we can compete with anyone if we lose at home to the Mackems ?

:dowiespin:

I hate the way Stoke go about winning football matches. Can't remember seeing them score a goal which wasn't a header or a bundled effort into the net after a goal mouth scramble. Fair play it works for them but they're just the footballing equivilent of people spamming grenades and rocket launchers on Modern Warfare 2.

:lol:

So true though, isn't it? It would be 3x frag grenade + sonic boom + martyr for the COD4:MW equivalent.

With the exception of Man Utd away (and even then we had a good opening 30 minutes) we have probably been the better team in every game we've played. That is worrying because we have not always achieved the result to go with the performance (Wolves,Blackpool,Stoke).

Yesterday's first half was the clearest example yet, much superior to the other team, controlling possession, hardly threatened, yet unable to significantly hurt the opposition for all that.

We paid a heavy price for failing to capitalise on our superiority because once they got into their stride we flapped and were unable to cope with the predictable set pieces they threw at us.

Unless we start killing the opposition off when we're on top it's going to be a long hard winter.

After the game, Chris Hughton commented:

"We've just won promotion and we'll probably lose more games than we win. The more consistent teams are the ones with the better quality players, that's why Manchester United and Chelsea are consistently up there.

"It's a learning curve for us. We've got to make sure on the lows - and it's a big low today - that we bounce back. We didn't defend well enough from set pieces which are Stoke's strength.

"It does put pressure on us. We know we have to pick up results at home. There have been a lot of surprise results and at the moment every team seems capable of getting a shock result.

"As a team that has got promoted we are probably going to lose more than we will win. The teams that have more consistency are those who have the better players.

"That is why United, Arsenal are up there. This is a learning curve for us and we have to make sure that from the lows we bounce back.”

Did he really say that? What a mental. :lol:

I don't think Routledge is offering much at the moment, in terms of creating or scoring. He seems to be doing more defending than anything else.

Jonas looked decent when he came on yesterday but I can't understand the insistence on playing him on the left, when he is clearly more comfortable and confident with his right foot.

James Perch is not Premier League quality. I appreciate that yesterday's own goal was an unfortunate accident but he looks like an accident waiting to happen most of the rest of the time. If we're going to play a sub-standard RB i'd much rather see Ryan Taylor in the first team - at least he offers something going forward and is a genuine goal threat from set pieces.

This is what I want to see:

.................................Krul

R Taylor.....Williamson.....Colo.....Jose

Jonas.........Barton..........Tiote.....Ben arfa

..................Carroll.........Any fucker

After the game, Chris Hughton commented:

"We've just won promotion and we'll probably lose more games than we win. The more consistent teams are the ones with the better quality players, that's why Manchester United and Chelsea are consistently up there.

"It's a learning curve for us. We've got to make sure on the lows - and it's a big low today - that we bounce back. We didn't defend well enough from set pieces which are Stoke's strength.

"It does put pressure on us. We know we have to pick up results at home. There have been a lot of surprise results and at the moment every team seems capable of getting a shock result.

"As a team that has got promoted we are probably going to lose more than we will win. The teams that have more consistency are those who have the better players.

"That is why United, Arsenal are up there. This is a learning curve for us and we have to make sure that from the lows we bounce back.”

Did he really say that? What a mental. :lol:

Did he sort of have a memory lapse half way through or summat?

I don't think Routledge is offering much at the moment, in terms of creating or scoring. He seems to be doing more defending than anything else.

Jonas looked decent when he came on yesterday but I can't understand the insistence on playing him on the left, when he is clearly more comfortable and confident with his right foot.

James Perch is not Premier League quality. I appreciate that yesterday's own goal was an unfortunate accident but he looks like an accident waiting to happen most of the rest of the time. If we're going to play a sub-standard RB i'd much rather see Ryan Taylor in the first team - at least he offers something going forward and is a genuine goal threat from set pieces.

This is what I want to see:

.................................Krul

R Taylor.....Williamson.....Colo.....Jose

Jonas.........Barton..........Tiote.....Ben arfa

..................Carroll.........Any f***er

:thup:

Krul

Perch.....Williamson.....Colo.....Jose

...................Tiote......................

Raylor.........Barton..........Jonas

....................HBA.......................

.............................Carroll..........

For next game at least

I don't understand what Hughton said wrong there ???

Then.

Surely thats just a MASSIVE mistype though? :dowie:

I don't understand what Hughton said wrong there ???

Dave's wondering if Hughton actually repeated himself there and Ronaldo is wondering what clubs like Manu have to do with us.

I'm wondering why he hasn't addressed any of his own failings yesterday.

Presumably he'll give Barcelona and Madrid a mention when Wigan do us in a few weeks time.

This is a bit of a stupid thing to criticise him for, isn't it?

All he said was that the big teams have consistency, which they do. He had a shit game, but this isn't an issue.

Presumably he'll give Barcelona and Madrid a mention when Wigan do us in a few weeks time.

This is a bit of a stupid thing to criticise him for, isn't it?

All he said was that the big teams have consistency, which they do. He had a shit game, but this isn't an issue.

I wonder if Ashley hauls him in for saying such things like this ala Keegan.