Disappointing attendances

Guest BooBoo

Guest michaelfoster

The East Stand is the only stand that is always sold out though.... 

My season ticket is in the East and I wouldn't swap it for a level 7 seat if that seat was free.   Saying you can't stand the fuckers in the East stand is a bit harsh, the atmosphere is decent where I sit, I am around some very decent people and have made some good friends at the match. 

Exactly, my ST is in the East Stand and i wouldn't change it for anywhere else, its pretty much dead centre of the pitch & the ticket has been past down from my grandad who's had it since the early 80's. I dont want to be sitting at the top of L7 watching subutteo like players where the majority of kids & chavs probably sit.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

My season ticket is in the East and I wouldn't swap it for a level 7 seat if that seat was free.   Saying you can't stand the fuckers in the East stand is a bit harsh, the atmosphere is decent where I sit, I am around some very decent people and have made some good friends at the match. 

Exactly, my ST is in the East Stand and i wouldn't change it for anywhere else, the ticket has been past down from my grandad who's had it since the early 80's. I dont want to be sitting at the top of L7 watching subutteo like players where the majority of kids & chavs probably sit.

oh no he di'int!

Exactly, my ST is in the East Stand and i wouldn't change it for anywhere else, its pretty much dead centre of the pitch & the ticket has been past down from my grandad who's had it since the early 80's. I dont want to be sitting at the top of L7 watching subutteo like players where the majority of kids & chavs probably sit.

like I said self acclaimed elite.

Exactly, my ST is in the East Stand and i wouldn't change it for anywhere else, the ticket has been past down from my grandad who's had it since the early 80's. I dont want to be sitting at the top of L7 watching subutteo like players where the majority of kids & chavs probably sit.

Speaking of generalisations.........I think this is what one of the previous posters was talking about when describing some of the people in the East Stand.

Guest michaelfoster

I actually find L7 claim to be holier than thou.  Yes they make some good songs & make some noise but some of the stuff they sing is so cringeworth

e.g the here we go song then fuck off at the end.. very cringeworthy.

Also some people who sit in L7 feel that they are better because they sing/chat etc and will slate other stands which imo is pathetic

I actually find L7 claim to be holier than thou.  Yes they make some good songs & make some noise but some of the stuff they sing is so cringeworth

e.g the here we go song then f*** off at the end.. very cringeworthy.

Also some people who sit in L7 feel that they are better because they sing/chat etc and will slate other stands which imo is pathetic

You will find tossers in every stand. You will also find more decent people in every stand.

Several specific factors contributed to the Stoke attendance such as, Sunday 4.10pm, live free TV, very unattractive opposition, pathetic away following etc , but behind that there is a trend downwards in general.

Has anyone any stats  to show if we're more down than any other equivalent club that would help prove the theory it's still an anti-Ashley reaction ?

Our friends down the road have still to get out of the 30s so far this season, despite hardly ever being on TV and getting mainly Saturday 3pm kick offs. And they're allegedly on the up and madly in love with their owner and chairman. Even novelty club Blackpool can't sell out, then there's Villa, WBA,Brum, Everton etc etc.

What I notice is that by and large the lads who always went to the match still do, although some pick and choose a bit more, but the one's who were obviously the "fashion fans" are disappearing as it becomes less err.. fashionable. I realise it's lost revenue but I find it difficult to pretend I miss them.

Almost 50K against Blackpool who didn't sell out their allocation  also proves people like Saturday 3pm kick offs best.

Most Championship teams brought a big following. Can't easily get tickets for the L7 corner. We're not nailed on to win all the time. No £20 tickets anymore, have they also done away student tickets?

Loads of reasons.

Some people are missing the obvious, in that there is mass youth unemployment at the moment and a recession for the last few years.  People don't have cash to splash like they used to.  Couple that with the drama of relegation etc. and it seems pretty clear why we are not getting 52k every week.

As has been said, it's a sign of the times. Football match tickets are now way over-priced for the fare that is given in return. All clubs need to be looking at what they are doing to get bums back on seats (like getting realistic with player wages) or it'll just get worse.  As a dad with a young 2 year old daughter, I have different priorities now and I refute being called a 'fashionable fan' like was suggested above.

I'll manage the odd home game this season. Was gonna try and get tickets for the Sunderland game, but at £42 they can piss off. I'll watch on Sky instead - greedy bastards. :angry:

Its all fucking big donkey bollocks, spend money on a team and put a "manager" in charge and people will flock back, run this bastard arsed mental football club on a shoe string and people will think to hell with that.

Its all fucking big donkey bollocks, spend money on a team and put a "manager" in charge and people will flock back, run this bastard arsed mental football club on a shoe string and people will think to hell with that.

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv108/centerpaddock82/donkeyballs_1202440627.jpg

A lot more people have gotten clued up on match streams aswell. This I know for certain. I know former season ticket holders who watch it on the net.

It's not exactly dependable though, is it?  In fact it's totally infuriating.

I was up this weekend and gave the Stoke match a miss because I was absolutely skint and couldn't justify it, simple as.  Have also had to turn down various suggestions of away trips from the Newcastle fan I work with.

It's tough out there atm, man.

This is the first time we've had a truly fucked economy in the era of sky high football ticket prices.

Lots and lots of people countrywide are now looking at the price of going to football matches, weighing it up against everything else and the economic uncertainty we're living with and opting not to bother.

I don't have kids, and have got a season ticket, so I'm lucky in that sense, but I wonder how blokes who have a couple of kids feel when they're weighing up 90 minutes entertainment against the absurd cost involved.

the increased ticket prices is a blessing in disguise, or an excuse for me, if you like.  Just got my job back having fucked off to work in the US for 14 weeks over the summer.  However as they've had to accommodate me I've got incredibly shitty hours, working til 10 on a Wednesday (when we might be playing) and also til 10 on a Saturday.  So that only leaves me available to attend Monday and Sunday games if I don't take overtime.

Not having a ST, if I was working I'd feel somewhat obliged to buy tickets on a match-to-match basis, forking out £30-40 a pop, which at 21 and looking to buy a car, I just can't afford.  The sky-high prices and knowing that I'd be spending a shitload make me feel a little less bitter about having to work those hours.

CP40- I think the "I'm not going because of Ashley"' is a fairly feeble excuse tbh. Shepherd was getting protested against during Roeder's year yet we still were pretty much selling out St James'.

Ashley has lost many fans forever because of his actions.

I mentioned the fall in attendances in another thread a couple of days ago. What many here are forgetting is that we also had 20,000 on the waiting list for STs 9 years ago and I made the point that most of the disenchantment with the club has occurred over the last 7 years, so it has been a gradual decline.

Yes, a decent gate for Blackpool after thrashing Villa, but that was probably a degree of curiosity mixed with optimism(ever-present in NUFC fans' breasts!), but then the team played poorly and lost.

It was a bit surprising that the gate fell after beating Everton and Chelsea, but clearly some of the fans who watched the Blackpool game saw things that didn't encourage them to come back.

Then there is the general feeling that the club is in a kind of limbo, with nobody knowing who will own it

within the next year or so, combined with increasing fear of job-losses and belt-tightening which is undoubtedly on the way for many - you can see why many are picking their games, and Stoke are hardly the most attractive opposition...

Even at OT, fans are now 'sharing' STs, with each using the ticket for alternate games...times are getting hard and football will pay the price as well as every other business .

Guest Roger Kint

What I don't get is people saying they won't go to the match cos you need to be a season ticket holder or a member to get to L7. Why not just buy a membership, which saves £5 on tickets if you go to 5 games, and buy tickets in L7?

:lol:

Exactly its the stupidest excuse i have ever heard for not going to a game. If the L7 is so important then its a bargain to get one, these wankers running our club give them the cheapest tickets then give them a further discount and get complaints still.

My 3 year ticket in the Gallowgate runs out this year and i honestly have no idea if i can afford another when the huge price hike kicks in, i may have to give it up. I hope this L7 bargain continues into the next year as i have no problem saving money if it means i can watch us live every week.

I took out the 3 year deal (3 years ago) and I can honestly say I hope they offer it again because I would take it up, I like paying monthly for my ticket, it takes the big lump of cash required to renew a few weeks after the season finishes away!

Regardless what they do or offer I still will be renewing in the East Stand, not because I feel like an elite but, because I like going to the match.  It is something I look forward to - this season feels strange, we have only had three home games so far, this time last year I bet I had been to eight.... 

I will say, though, if that excitement or anticipation of going to the game ever stops I will seriously consider giving my ticket up but, I am mid forties now and still get all the same feelings I used to get when I went to the match as a lad, from standing in the Gallowgate Corner, singing my heart out, to standing in the Milburn Paddock when they started to put seats in the ground right up to getting my ticket where I am now - I love it and personally I think anyone who doesn't go because they feel like they are punishing Ashley or in some other sort of protest really are only punishing themselves.

I truly feel for those who genuinely can't afford it.

What I don't get is people saying they won't go to the match cos you need to be a season ticket holder or a member to get to L7. Why not just buy a membership, which saves £5 on tickets if you go to 5 games, and buy tickets in L7?

:lol:

Exactly its the stupidest excuse i have ever heard for not going to a game. If the L7 is so important then its a bargain to get one, these wankers running our club give them the cheapest tickets then give them a further discount and get complaints still.

My 3 year ticket in the Gallowgate runs out this year and i honestly have no idea if i can afford another when the huge price hike kicks in, i may have to give it up. I hope this L7 bargain continues into the next year as i have no problem saving money if it means i can watch us live every week.

Why should I, and many more like me who have taken the stance of not attending buy a membership just so we can go in a certain part of the ground? I've been attending matches at St James' since the early 1980's and have spent a large proportion of that time as a season ticket holder until 2008 and in all that time I have never known the club come to such a ridiculous decision as to only allow certain people into certain parts of the ground. Have they ever given a reason for it?  Well me, and a couple of thousand others apparently have stuck 2 fingers up at them and won't go back and I have to be honest and say so far I haven't missed it as i've seen every match on TV (and the atmosphere has certainly sounded poorer for having a Leazes Corner about one third full) and also have a bit more cash in my pocket.

As a side issue I believe people who signed up for these membership packs at the start of the season still haven't recieved them yet which just about sums things up. The worrying thing for the club is that people who have stopped going will get out of the habit and even if they relax the rules might struggle to get the fans back.