Newcastle United 2 - 2 Wigan Athletic - 16/10/10 - post match reaction from p21

Nate

Disasterous team selection. Perch was dreadful and Lovenkrands was little more than a disgrace. An appalling selection and Hughton must carry the can.

What's the logic in making no changes at half time btw?

It didn't work at all for the first 45 minutes, so there was no point in giving it another 15 after the break before changing it.

He did. Went from 4-4-2 to 4-5-1 pushing Lovenkrands wide right and Guthrie infield.

The formation wasn't the problem, 4-4-2 was fine.

The problem was personnel (namely Perch being on the pitch and Shola and Routledge not being)

Fickle or what?Not pointing the finger at you in person with the posting but the above statement is classic toon.

If he hadn't changed the set up would we have clawed back two goals?

If Routledge and Shola been playing from the start would we not be saying how crap they are?

Ever decreasing  circles.

Credit to C.H for changing the set up and for keeping the players motivated to achieve this.Would we have seen this two seasons ago with Owen,Duff and the other bottlers in tow?

Don't call other fans fickle, because quite frankly it makes you look fickle as well.

Erm, what? :lol:

Guest Rey Mysterio

Really made up for Collo getting his first goal at home and more importantly an important equaliser.I've always said/written that he is a class CB no matter what the chattering classes may say.

I will admit though that Perch is not the RB for us,just now.His confidence is shot to pieces and it shows.I've defended him in the past,as I have with Collo, and I'm still under the impression that he will improve and in time we will all see the player that he has the potential to be.In the meantime I would prefer to see R.Taylor get the nod ahead of Perch and Simpson.

We did well to come back from 2-0 down,credit to the lads for giving it their all.Two seasons ago we wouldn't have grafted to clawback a point in the way we did today.

We need a decent supply of crosses from the wings to get the best out of this team but its just all too sporadic at present,Jonas either has to start on the right or play more centrally,he just doesn't have a left cross in his game.

:facepalm:

The stick Barton is being given strikes me as a bit unwarranted. Don't think he's been half as bad as is being made out. Routledge/Nolan have been more disappointing over the course of the season so far - in fact the times where they act as passengers in the team have probably prompted Barton to be overly-ambitious. Having two strikers up front would help his play much more IMO.

Gotta agree.

The stick Barton is being given strikes me as a bit unwarranted. Don't think he's been half as bad as is being made out. Routledge/Nolan have been more disappointing over the course of the season so far - in fact the times where they act as passengers in the team have probably prompted Barton to be overly-ambitious. Having two strikers up front would help his play much more IMO.

Any player who gives the ball to the opposition that leads to a goal deserves stick, Nicky Butt did the same thing and was slaughtered for it.

Disasterous team selection. Perch was dreadful and Lovenkrands was little more than a disgrace. An appalling selection and Hughton must carry the can.

They aren't representative of the forum/fanbase by any means, but:

Nice one, Hughton. Good to see him abandon the 4-5-1 in favour of a 4-4-2. :thup: Just hope it comes off.

Nolan injured or a brilliant team selection by Hughton? Not too fussed about Guthrie on the right because he can deliver a good cross, just means the running will go down the left that's all. I like that selection.

Again, he's learning his lessons. 4-4-2 and no Nolan.....can't complain there.

4-4-2.  :celb:

Suprised Guthrie's ready to start, like.

have to agree with Mick Lowes and Ando like.  Barton probably should be captain.  Colo doesn't appear very vocal and his English isn't that great.

Yep. Only thing I think Hughton got wrong today.

Not a big thing, though.

The players were a bigger disappointment than the selection IMO.

Perch > Raylor was a massive selection mistake though.

Any player who gives the ball to the opposition that leads to a goal deserves stick, Nicky Butt did the same thing and was slaughtered for it.

I'm talking about over the course of the first eight games. An almost completely unnecessary reference to Nicky Butt too btw.

Was in the air while this match was being played, turned on extortionate data roaming once I touched down in New York, saw the scoreline, went "Ah fuck", opened the match timeline, went "What the fuck."  Think I'll forget about footy for the rest of my hols.  After I've checked my fantasy team.

I'm talking about over the course of the first eight games. An almost completely unnecessary reference to Nicky Butt too btw.

You didn't say that you were talking about the first eight games and it was in a match thread.  The reference about Nicky Butt was justified, if it's good enoough for him to get stick for an assist to the opposition then it's good enough for Barton to get the same.

Guest neesy111

To me their is an inflexibility in the team, so that we can't actively go and chase games from the off.  The lack of a plan b, when plan a isn't working is another worry for me.

Loads of grounds for Hughton to be sacked after a dreadful first XI today.

Eh?  Even though we are 13th in the league with a team that before the season most though would go down or stay up by the skin of its teeth.

It's not wonder Newcastle fans have a bad reputation in the press.

Guest Rey Mysterio

Krul - 6

Enrique - 6

Colo - 7

Williamson - 5

Perch - 4

Guthrie - 6

Barton - 4

Tiote - 5

Jonas - 5

Carroll - 5

Lovenkrands - 5

Shola - 6

Routledge - 5

Ranger -

Again we played poorly at home but based on chances created we could and should have won the game.

I am starting to wonder if the team as a whole are not fit enough not just fat bastard Nolan. Our movement whilst in posession is nothing short of attrocious, it limits our attacking play to crosses/hoofing it into the box for a knock down. Lovenkrands is one who I would exempt from this criticism but the midfield was so poor today he was never likely to be played through or picked out. Likewise when Wigan had it, our inability to press the ball as a unit gave them as much time and space as they wanted to pick their passes and keep posession. Again Lovenkrands was probably the best at putting them under any sort of pressure but it is pointless one player doing it as they will just play around him. Lazy or poor fitness, who knows?

Thought Guthrie showed good signs but as many people have stated he is far more suited to a central role, the one he should take from Barton if he turns out many more performances like today.

Too many players performed poorly on the same day but we still should have really won that game so a bit too early to seriously worry about the home form. Hopefully turn out a another decent away display next week then everyone come out all guns blazing and fuck over those dirty mackems, get the season back on track  :thup:

You didn't say that you were talking about the first eight games and it was in a match thread.  The reference about Nicky Butt was justified, if it's good enoough for him to get stick for an assist to the opposition then it's good enough for Barton to get the same.

Well, I quite clearly did, but not too bothered about pettifogging - crossed wires are crossed wires.

As for the Butt comment, comparing the two is plainly absurd Mick. I think you know too much about football to compare the two so I don't understand why it was even worth mentioning.

It's pretty clear that giving the ball away that leads to a goal is an action which deserves flack, but Barton is hardly a Ramage/Perch/Butt-esque serial offender, is he?

Most of the time he gives the ball away it's with a forward pass, which - while undesirable - is hardly the same as Butt having his shitty sideways passes intercepted and the opposition scoring.

Another blindingly clearly difference is that Barton actually has the capability of picking out a decent forward ball when there's movement ahead of him, while Butt had some vastly misguided notion he could spray 40-50 yard balls over the top like he was Rivaldo for the first seven eighths of his career before Newcastle.

Sounds like you just wanted to shoehorn Nicky Butt into the same breath as Barton tbh.

Guest neesy111

Stop

Well, I quite clearly did, but not too bothered about pettifogging - crossed wires are crossed wires.

As for the Butt comment, comparing the two is plainly absurd Mick. I think you know too much about football to compare the two so I don't understand why it was even worth mentioning.

It's pretty clear that giving the ball away that leads to a goal is an action which deserves flack, but Barton is hardly a Ramage/Perch/Butt-esque serial offender, is he?

Most of the time he gives the ball away it's with a forward pass, which - while undesirable - is hardly the same as Butt having his shitty sideways passes intercepted and the opposition scoring.

Another blindingly clearly difference is that Barton actually has the capability of picking out a decent forward ball when there's movement ahead of him, while Butt had some vastly misguided notion he could spray 40-50 yard balls over the top like he was Rivaldo for the first seven eighths of his career before Newcastle.

Sounds like you just wanted to shoehorn Nicky Butt into the same breath as Barton tbh.

:lol: barton isn't as good as you believe.

Sorry you did mention that you were on about Nolan and Routledge over the course of the season so far.  As for Butt, I wasn't trying to shoehorn Butt into the same breath as Barton but a bollock dropped by one is as bad as one dropped by the other, even if it's not done as regularly.  Barton was pissing about with the ball today when he gave it away, he fell asleep in an area that Nicky Butt did on many occasions with the same end result which shouldn’t be over-looked, he's getting stick for it and so he should.

Guest neesy111

Sorry you did mention that you were on about Nolan and Routledge over the course of the season so far.  As for Butt, I wasn't trying to shoehorn Butt into the same breath as Barton but a bollock dropped by one is as bad as one dropped by the other, even if it's not done as regularly.  Barton was pissing about with the ball today when he gave it away, he fell asleep in an area that Nicky Butt did on many occasions with the same end result which shouldn’t be over-looked, he's getting stick for it and so he should.

Totally agree with Mick here.

Mick: Well, for that particular mistake, sure lambast him but even today there are other players far more deserving of your scorn.

Neesy: How good do I believe he is? (That's rhetorical btw).

Guest neesy111

Mick: Well, for that particular mistake, sure lambast him but even today there are other players far more deserving of your scorn.

If your defending him like you have just been doing so, then I'd guess you rate him highly and didn't think he was to blame for the mistake he did.

I've said Perch was poor, I've said Guthrie was poor in a position which he should never play in.  Lovenkrands was poor, Williamson was iffy and Krulls kicking was terrible, nobody was more responsible for a Wigan goal than Barton.  If you have a look you'll see that I haven't really lambasted him, I've just said what I saw today and pointed out that he deserves stick for what he did.

I've said Perch was poor, I've said Guthrie was poor in a position which he should never play in.  Lovenkrands was poor, Williamson was iffy and Krulls kicking was terrible, nobody was more responsible for a Wigan goal than Barton.  If you have a look you'll see that I haven't really lambasted him, I've just said what I saw today and pointed out that he deserves stick for what he did.

Okay, I don't think we're contradicting one another any more (if we ever were). His blame for the goal is self-evident, my initial post from which this discourse has stemmed was a broader defence of the criticism he has received over 8 games.

Anyway, glad that's sorted.

Neesy, I rate Nicky Butt's passing over your comprehension skills like. :lol: I'd hope my little clue about that being a rhetorical question would give you a small hint... alas, I can now tell you unequivocally that I don't rate Joey Barton to the point that I think he's infallible for individual mistakes. I trust that is clear enough to bring our brief dialogue to a close on the issue. ;)