West Ham United 1 - 2 Newcastle United - 23/10/10 - post match reaction from p20

Dave

That's pretty much spot on Stu, would've made similar points about all the players if I could have been bothered. Maybe a bit generous giving Colo and Nolan 9 and Krul 8 though. Not to say they played badly.

Maybe a bit generous for Krul, given that he didn't have a save to make, but he seemed to be more commanding of his area tonight (see the carling cup games) which is impressive against a Heskey-lite Carlton Cole. We put some crosses in on Green (WC keeper dontcha know O0) and he started flapping at a couple.

Nolan probably an 8 but his display was one in the eye for the constant (generally unwarranted) abuse he gets. Don't know if Colo was at fault for the goal, but if not he was impeccable, defended with intelligence...not something we can often say about NUFC players :)

A few generous scores there like :lol: We only beat the team bottom of the table 2-1.

Ahh, sorry - I forget that Jose isn't good enough for the premiership :idiot2: I guess we could all be as patronising as you, eh? :lol:

A few generous scores there like :lol: We only beat the team bottom of the table 2-1.

Ahh, sorry - I forget that Jose isn't good enough for the premiership :idiot2: I guess we could all be as patronising as you, eh? :lol:

Nice to see you read my posts :lol:

Ameobi - 3 - Dogshit. Can't believe how lazy and complacent he was off the ball today. Doesn't get lower than 3 because of a few handy interceptions.

Didn't see Ameobi hold the ball up for Barton to cross for the winner then? Shola had a good game IMO.

Aye - I thought Shola had a good game as well. Some folk are just too blinkered when it comes to hating Shola. :thdn:

Shola's only positive contribution that game was a half-decent late run which was ended in a blocked shot (iirc), and running down the line onto Barton's very good pass to then pass it back to him (something very basic that he was forced into doing due to his reluctance to cross into the box).

The rest of the time he:

- was very slow at reacting to passes and Carroll's knockdowns.

- was very casual in running onto balls over the top.

- lost the ball cheaply a number of times.

- was barely in the game in an attacking sense.

The last part imo was down to the lack of effort he was making to get into the box - I counted 3 times where the ball was out on the wings and Ameobi was walking around 20 yards off the pace. One of those times was when Carroll was out on the wing supporting Jonas and we had noone forward at all, so with Ameobi walking around near the centre circle Joey Barton decided to venture a bit forward.

Maybe I'm being harsh/wrong, but a few neutral friends thought he was gash too. Came away thinking we had effectively won the game playing with ten men almost.

They've actually done well with the ratings:

Krul 7; Simpson 6, Coloccini 8, Williamson 7, Enrique 7; Barton 7, Nolan 7, Tioté 9; Ameobi 7, Carroll 7, Gutiérrez 7

They were by some fan, apparently the author of this book:

http://www.learntoloveandbelovedinreturn.com/

Guest Heneage

Shola put himself about today, decent hold up play and little bits of skill if he could do it on a more regular basis I'd be happy to go 4-4-2 more often.

Guest neesy111

Finally back home from the game, a meal and quite a few drinks down Camden Townnnnnn.

Great performance, great result, dominated 2nd half, great support (as always away from home), and I'm very happy for what is a good weekend for me.

Great result ahead the scum game next weekend, had it down as a draw before but not thinking we can edge it.

442 next week with same team, barton was spot on 2nd half stayed on the wing unlike Guthrie.  Also very handy having a decent RB for once as well.

I think it's harsh how we sometimes deny the team due credit by saying the opposition was shit.

We worked tirelessly and all 11 put in great effort - we stopped them ever being able to play.

They may be at the bottom of a very tight league but recently beat Spurs and a full strength Sunderland team in the league cup at the SOS.

Kevin Nolan gets shed loads of criticism on here but he is a very important team player and brings a lot of nous and presence to us.

Special mention to Tiote who dominated and Carroll who always puts in a great shift and did again after a difficult week. I'd never play him and Shola together but credit to Hughton - he did and it worked.

Guest Ridzuan

Well, I think the team did OK. Nothing exceptional, but at the moment given our situation, I would gladly take any win by any form. It was a poor first goal to concede, West Ham could have scored more, but fortunately for us they didnt. In the second half, West Ham was really poor which gave us a huge advantage and thank God we managed to score the winning goal. It was all us in the second half. Even after we scored the second, we didnt stay back and try to defend it which was good but we need to be more clinical with our finishing. We had a lot of good chances in the second half which we didnt take. It was good to see Simpson back on the right side of the defense. If it was Perch, im sure we would probably have conceded another goal. Hope he will stay fit and keep his place there. I also think we have found our answer to who should play in the right side of the midfield. I thought Barton was excellent going forward. He is not the type of player Routledge is, who loves to dribble the ball and try to go one on one. But Barton can certainly cross the ball which we saw it yesterday. 2 great crosses which lead to the goals. Cant remember when was the last time Routlegde did that for us.

Well, I think the team did OK. Nothing exceptional, but at the moment given our situation, I would gladly take any win by any form. It was a poor first goal to concede, West Ham could have scored more, but fortunately for us they didnt. 

:nope:

Krul has really stepped up to the mark. He looks confident and if he carries on like that, Harper won't get his place back even when he recovers fitness.

The one thing that makes me nervous is that he will often catch crosses which he may be better off punching away. He got away with it yesterday, and obviously it's better if you do catch them, but it looks risky.

All in all though, he's a very different keeper to that hot-headed youngster of a couple of years ago. And we can fully expect him to improve even more as the season goes on.

Yeah that was his most convincing coming for crosses yet. Didn't have much to do in terms of shot stopping, but keeps this up for the next month and I don't see Harper getting back in.