West Ham United 1 - 2 Newcastle United - 23/10/10 - post match reaction from p20

Dave

massive win and a fantastic, dominating performance to go with it. anyone got the stats on possession for the full game ? i know at some point in the 2nd half we'd had about 70%. quite strange in a way as until they scored we looked shocking.

tiote MotM by a long way, and i hope joey barton looked at nolan's goal and thought "hey if you get in the box you might score"

Ameobi - 3 - Dogshit. Can't believe how lazy and complacent he was off the ball today. Doesn't get lower than 3 because of a few handy interceptions.

Didn't see Ameobi hold the ball up for Barton to cross for the winner then? Shola had a good game IMO.

Aye - I thought Shola had a good game as well. Some folk are just too blinkered when it comes to hating Shola. :thdn:

Shola's only positive contribution that game was a half-decent late run which was ended in a blocked shot (iirc), and running down the line onto Barton's very good pass to then pass it back to him (something very basic that he was forced into doing due to his reluctance to cross into the box).

The rest of the time he:

- was very slow at reacting to passes and Carroll's knockdowns.

- was very casual in running onto balls over the top.

- lost the ball cheaply a number of times.

- was barely in the game in an attacking sense.

The last part imo was down to the lack of effort he was making to get into the box - I counted 3 times where the ball was out on the wings and Ameobi was walking around 20 yards off the pace. One of those times was when Carroll was out on the wing supporting Jonas and we had noone forward at all, so with Ameobi walking around near the centre circle Joey Barton decided to venture a bit forward.

Maybe I'm being harsh/wrong, but a few neutral friends thought he was gash too. Came away thinking we had effectively won the game playing with ten men almost.

I thought he had a 'decenish' game, some good control and managed to reasonably hold up the ball on more than one occasion, but there were also quite a few 'Ameobi' moments. My favourites were when he looked to blame the pitch for failing to control Barton's through ball towards the end and that look up into the sky when his deflected shot went wide. Most players use that look when they had a fantastic shot heading towards the corner fantastically saved, not when the ball heading nowhere almost went in only after a massive deflection! 

massive win and a fantastic, dominating performance to go with it. anyone got the stats on possession for the full game ? i know at some point in the 2nd half we'd had about 70%. quite strange in a way as until they scored we looked shocking.

tiote MotM by a long way, and i hope joey barton looked at nolan's goal and thought "hey if you get in the box you might score"

56% according to the beeb

Ameobi - 3 - Dogshit. Can't believe how lazy and complacent he was off the ball today. Doesn't get lower than 3 because of a few handy interceptions.

Didn't see Ameobi hold the ball up for Barton to cross for the winner then? Shola had a good game IMO.

Aye - I thought Shola had a good game as well. Some folk are just too blinkered when it comes to hating Shola. :thdn:

Shola's only positive contribution that game was a half-decent late run which was ended in a blocked shot (iirc), and running down the line onto Barton's very good pass to then pass it back to him (something very basic that he was forced into doing due to his reluctance to cross into the box).

The rest of the time he:

The last part imo was down to the lack of effort he was making to get into the box - I counted 3 times where the ball was out on the wings and Ameobi was walking around 20 yards off the pace. One of those times was when Carroll was out on the wing supporting Jonas and we had noone forward at all, so with Ameobi walking around near the centre circle Joey Barton decided to venture a bit forward.

Maybe I'm being harsh/wrong, but a few neutral friends thought he was gash too. Came away thinking we had effectively won the game playing with ten men almost.

I thought he had a 'decenish' game, some good control and managed to reasonably hold up the ball on more than one occasion, but there were also quite a few 'Ameobi' moments. My favourites were when he looked to blame the pitch for failing to control Barton's through ball towards the end and that look up into the sky when his deflected shot went wide. Most players use that look when they had a fantastic shot saved, not when the ball heading nowhere missed the goal only after a massive deflection! 

ameobi had a better all round game than carroll.

Wonder if anything will be done about the coins being chucked at Barton when taking a corner.

yes they people throwing them will be given some sort of award no doubt

The rest of the time he:

I thought he had a 'decenish' game, some good control and managed to reasonably hold up the ball on more than one occasion, but there were also quite a few 'Ameobi' moments. My favourites were when he looked to blame the pitch for failing to control Barton's through ball towards the end and that look up into the sky when his deflected shot went wide. Most players use that look when they had a fantastic shot saved, not when the ball heading nowhere missed the goal only after a massive deflection! 

ameobi had a better all round game than carroll.

Yep

Yep that's a major criticism I have of Barton, but to be fair, one of the main reasons we won was because he put in a wholehearted performance on the right side. He could have just sulked like Guthrie and decided it wasn't his best position but he gave it a good go and what looked like a lop sided midfield worked out ok because of his effort.

not so long ago we would have folded after their goal - especially playing in Landahn - they were rubbish and we have thrown away a lot of points against the dross this season but its still not a bad spot to be in right now

We only beat the team bottom of the table 2-1.

Aye, shocking really. Especially for a newly promoted team.

It's funny that, I can't remember me saying that. It must be catching on, someone else who doesn't read my posts.

If you care to look back, you'll find I said it was good performance and we played well, but to give everyone 8s and 9s is a bit too excessive.

It's funny that, I can't remember me saying that. It must be catching on, someone else who doesn't read my posts.

If you care to look back, you'll find I said it was good performance and we played well, but to give everyone 8s and 9s is a bit too excessive.

No you didn't :lol: he quoted you :lol:

No you didn't :lol: he quoted you :lol:

A few generous scores there like :lol: We only beat the team bottom of the table 2-1.

Delighted with that :D

Fantastic performance, played really well, but they didn't exactly make it hard in that second half did they? They were f***ing terrible.

I went to the West Ham v Newcastle Match 2 seasons ago and Newcastle played then, Like West Ham did this weekend. Didn't appear to have any fight or anything. It is looking pretty dire for them. In addition, Newcastle didn't really turn up yesterday yet still won......

Its that sort of form that wins Leagues  :rolleyes:

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

The rest of the time he:

I thought he had a 'decenish' game, some good control and managed to reasonably hold up the ball on more than one occasion, but there were also quite a few 'Ameobi' moments. My favourites were when he looked to blame the pitch for failing to control Barton's through ball towards the end and that look up into the sky when his deflected shot went wide. Most players use that look when they had a fantastic shot heading towards the corner fantastically saved, not when the ball heading nowhere almost went in only after a massive deflection! 

Tbh, I'm usually against Shola but I thought he played well, and him and Carroll up front is definetely the way to go. His all round game was actually very good, he linked up well with Carroll, and showed some good first touch and skill.

Definetely deserves a 7.

Just think had we won the home games we should have and the Man City game we deserved to win and look where we'd be with the extra 11 points?

Just think, if Ferdinand had converted any one of those first half chances or if Cantona hadn't been unstoppable for 3 months...

Anyone see the question put to Chris about JFK returning?

--

The normally serious Hughton even cracked a joke when told that Joe Kinnear had been mentioned as a possible replacement.

“I might get him in to do the Press!” he quipped.

--

From: http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/2010/10/24/hughton-set-to-bring-in-clarke-as-new-no-2-79310-27533053/

anyone else see Joey Barton's full on swearing tirade at Andy Carroll just before half time not sure what it was about but it was a few minutes after there accidental collision that left Joey floored.. what ever it was about thought Joey went very over the top.

You don't know what it was about, neither do anyone but them and the team. Why speculate and try to stir up some shit when things are going well? Are us fans really that self-destructive?

anyone else see Joey Barton's full on swearing tirade at Andy Carroll just before half time not sure what it was about but it was a few minutes after there accidental collision that left Joey floored.. what ever it was about thought Joey went very over the top.

You don't know what it was about, neither do anyone but them and the team. Why speculate and try to stir up some shit when things are going well? Are us fans really that self-destructive?

:sadnod:

I didn't speculate what it was about I don't know what it was about.. just saw it and thought the verbal tirade that I saw was very over the top, thought I'd ask if anyone else saw it.

I didn't speculate what it was about I don't know what it was about.. just saw it and thought the verbal tirade that I saw was very over the top.

But you don't know what it was about, you just saw what you assume to be a verbal tirade and proceed to say it was over the top. :lol: