Arsenal 0 - 1 Newcastle United - 07/11/10 - post match reaction from page 35

Dave

Guest firetotheworks

It'll all be about how we defended resolutely, and got a sneaky goal against the run of play. The reality is that we had our fair share of possession, and within that time outplayed them. But that does not compute to the media, because everyone thinks the only way to beat Arsenal is to do it the old Allardyce's Bolton way.

The funny thing about Arsenal was that they seemed to lose their patience in the second half... they started launching balls forward and clipping Nicky Butt-style aimless balls over the top.

If they'd kept the ball down and kept moving it around they might well have scored.

Still, great performance by us in general... we could have conceded but overall we all fought like lions to get the point. It was a bit frustrating at times to see us not getting forward, but can obviously understand why.

Judging by Barton's comments the spirit in the camp is probably the best it's been in recent times, and as long as we've got that we should be able to pull off plenty more good results this season.   

Guest Heneage

Krul 8 - Was really good, the Nasri save alone gets him an 8, he seems to be growing in confidence the more he plays.

Simpson 8- He had one shit the bed moment with Arshavin but other than that I was really impressed, I had expected Taylor to walk into the team but Simpson seems drastically improved from last season, especially considering it was his 3rd game back.

Coloccini 9- He's truly settled, of our centre backs he's quite clearly the ball playing defender good close control and won his headers all be it most of which were unchallenged.

Williamson 8- He might not get the credit but he's just as valuable as Colo because they work as a pair. Wins his headers and doesn't try to over do it he knows his role and his limitations.

Enrique 8- He bullied Walcott really, if he'd played in the CC Walcott would arguably have not had so much joy, he's arguably the best left back I've watched in our colours and can only get better.

Barton 8- He's done fantastic in this new position because unlike Guthrie he really does hug the touchline, a few more examples of his good crossing and the perfect ball for Carroll's goal. Looks very calm as well and like his daft days are behind him.

Tiote 10- (MOM) Perfect, strong, tough in the tackle, calm good passer. I just can't stress how great he is, considering we got a player of his quality for under 5 million dumbfounds me. He really bossed them and gave a fantastic demonstration of what a defensive midfielder/anchor man is.

Nolan 7- Might seem harsh but I just can't remember him doing much, he did really well in just keeping possession and not panicking which was good showed he can be a sitting midfielder at times too.

Jonas 7- We got what we expected with him, great work effort , and lots of energy for the entire match. He only just had the beating of Sagna for pace and I would have liked to see him trying more runs but just holding onto it was good enough.

Carroll 8- Will be amazed if he doesn't make the England squad if Capello truly does pick based on form. Hughton hits the nail on the head for me though, he's still learning and you can see some of the rough edges in his game. Fantastic leap and header for the goal and really roughed up the Arsenal back line.

Ameobi 8- I hope his performances continue because he was really good again, he didn't offer the goal threat of last week but he's just great at holding onto the ball even in the tightest of spaces, he might look slow but he actually has a really good turn of pace on him.

Ranger 7- Decent cameo, shame he didn't get that run on goal, I'd have liked to see him finish, I still find it frustrating he doesn't chase back when he loses it considering he's coming on fresh in the last 10 minutes.

Hughton 9 - Picked a game plan, we played a weird sort of 4-4-2/4-5-1 with Ameobi dropping deep to compact midfield. He clearly does his research on opponents and it shows, he gave Arsenal no space to play and looked to counter attack as they became frustrated and threw more bodies forward. I just wish this contract business would bugger off, total media concoction.

Really proud of the side, I really have an affinity for the players as you can tell that they care. Compare and contrast to our last embarassing team that graced this league in 08/09.

Guy on 606 just said we played a "spoiling match".

Baffled.

Absolute bollocks. The first thing my aberdeen supporting mate said to me when he came in today was how impressed he was with the passing we were doing.

Guest firetotheworks

RE: Nolan, I thought his awareness of the space around him was excellent. He didn't do anything spectacular, but he kept things ticking around him and supported the forward line well. A good performance cast aside because of how sensational Tiote was.

Fantastic win. Everything that has needed to be said has been said. But i am going to point out Simpson like a few others.

Easily his best game in a Toon shirt. He was magnificent.

If we beat Blackburn and Fulham you really have to consider that this group of lads might get a top 8 finish

RE: Nolan, I thought his awareness of the space around him was excellent. He didn't do anything spectacular, but he kept things ticking around him and supported the forward line well. A good performance cast aside because of how sensational Tiote was.

Solid performance. Didn't put a foot wrong that I can remember. Well played.

Guy on 606 just said we played a "spoiling match".

Baffled.

Absolute bollocks. The first thing my aberdeen supporting mate said to me when he came in today was how impressed he was with the passing we were doing.

Was browing though a couple of other clubs forums after the win today and the general consensus is that we're actually a decent side that can play some good stuff.  :thup:

Solid performance. Didn't put a foot wrong that I can remember. Well played.

One shocking cross-field pass, but aside from that he did a very good job against superior numbers in the middle of the park. No complaints about him at all.

In regards to Simpson, he had a couple of poor moments in possession but his positioning was fantastic on about four/five separate occasions. Agree that it was the best defensive display that he's put in for us so far.

Just an outstanding day for us really. One of the best weeks we've had in terms of results in my LIFE (Sunday-Sunday).

Guest neesy111

By the way, couple of embarrassing dives by Nasri and Chamakh in the first few minutes... they were very lucky to get away without bookings.

Cesc should of been sent off for a few of his naughty challenges.

By the way, couple of embarrassing dives by Nasri and Chamakh in the first few minutes... they were very lucky to get away without bookings.

Chamakh should definitely have been booked for his dive next to Enrique. Blatant cheating there.

45 passes in total, 44 successful, 1 unsuccessful.

Taken from The Guardians chalkboard.

Almost 98% completed passes then, that is just taking the piss :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Chamakh should definitely have been booked for his dive next to Enrique. Blatant cheating there.

The Arsenal fan on Fan Zone was thoroughly embarrassed by that. He went fucking off it.