This season's SJP atmosphere

Wullie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

The matches are so much better in level 7 like. Hate to blow our trumpets like but the toon ultras and likeminded fans won the singing section. We didn't go to meet people with portfolios and turn up with banners for nowt. :-)

:lol:

You'll be asking to see CV's next, with two character references.

The matches are so much better in level 7 like. Hate to blow our trumpets like but the toon ultras and likeminded fans won the singing section. We didn't go to meet people with portfolios and turn up with banners for nowt. :-)

:laugh: As long as you want to sing mate that should be the only thing that should qualify you for the singing section.

One of which must be your probation officer.

Would love to see safe standing over here. Cheaper tickets, better atmospheres, larger crowds. Germans have proved its as safe as sitting if done correctly.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42692000/jpg/_42692677_bremen203.jpg

I thought Marseille's atmosphere when we played them in 2004 was pretty much spot on. Lots of whilsting/howling any time we got the ball and a massive roar whenever they got the ball. Pretty sure the atmosphere intimidated a few of our players that day.

That was what Stoke were like when we played them in the relegation season. No idea what they're like week in and week out and they'll probably be silent as mice when they're an established Premier League team for ten years but I know our players were absolutely shitting themselves in the first half from the hostility whenever we had the ball.

Partially because Ryan Taylor had things thrown at him when he was fouled close to the far sideline and later when he went to take a throw-in.

Agree with Skeletor, The Velodrome exhibited the best atmosphere i've ever experienced.

Never gonna happen unfortunately.

Not impossible actually, it is actually a Lib Dem policy and is being pushed through by an MP (click). I actually spoke to said MP about 2 weeks ago on the matter, and he says he doesn't see a reason why it won't be implimented and he's trying his best. You've also got the FSF backing the standing movement. The arguement is growing and is obviously wanted by the vast majority. In my opinion we'll see it come eventually...

Imagine how awesome that would be man. If they made the Gallowgate safe standing and made sure they could only sell a certain number of tickets so it couldn't cram up and s***. Would be so cool man, and most likely improve the living fudge outta the shitmosphere.

Added a poll for the laugh. Personally think it would be fantastic, but the logistics of implementing it would be a major issue (aside from the obvious).

Be interested in hearing from our Germany-based posters on how it works over there.

Not based in Jormany but been to a quite a few matches there and it is generally a much better all round experience for atmosphere than in England.

The standing areas are probably the biggest difference, but there are also so many more flags/banners, the chanting etc can almost appear choreographed at times and visually quite stunning. It's not unusual to have a "conductor" at the front of the section, megaphone in hand keeping it going throughout. They also seem to get into the stadium a lot earlier and the beer certainly flows - there are dozens of beer stalls going flat out, albeit they do have certain "high risk" games (derbies etc) where beer is banned.

Overall it also seems to me that the support is less conditional on performance, almost like the raison d'etre of a fan is to support whatever the result.

I would love to see a real atmosphere return to SJP (and the UK in general) - perhaps the current downward trend in attendances across the game and the eventual and inevitable drift away of the "fashion fans" who sprung up with the Premier league hype may make clubs think again about what true fans really want when they're at the match.

Guest michaelfoster

Dont understand why people need to stand to sing, years ago everyone would be seated and SJP was deafening due to the noise, i think its more down to the type of fans who now attend games tbh

Dont understand why people need to stand to sing, years ago everyone would be seated and SJP was deafening due to the noise, i think its more down to the type of fans who now attend games tbh

Standing definitely helps, but as you say it's only part of the issue. I started going to games in 95, by which time it was all-seated, and the atmosphere was way better. Expansion had a big role I think.

Guest michaelfoster

Standing definitely helps, but as you say it's only part of the issue. I started going to games in 95, by which time it was all-seated, and the atmosphere was way better. Expansion had a big role I think.

I started going in 93/94 and it was deafening most of the time

I started going in 93/94 and it was deafening most of the time

You could hear the noise from Novos RFC on a match day in Benton on a Saturday.

The level of football must have really helped get the crowd going etc, and it wasn't long after the Taylor Report so that atmospheric feel still would have been in the minds of supporters.

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently going to be a discussion on safe standing to be forwarded by an MP this week.

Kenny Dalglish just slaughtered the idea on SSN.

i would love to see a paddock right round the pitch like the East stand had when first built.