Petrovic: "Premier league is a crap league"

LooneyToonArmy

But neesy's saying the Spanish league has a better looking way of playing football, and therefore he thinks it's a more entertaining league. Don't see how someone can argue with a point like that, even if you don't agree. Think it's turning into an argument just 'cause it's neesy tbh :lol:

He's comparing the PL and La Liga and uses Blackburn and Stoke as perfect examples of our football. The guy's a f***ing retard.

That's very much not what he said.  He said:

I've always said the Spainish league is better league as all of the teams try to play football at least unlike the likes of Stoke & Blackburn

He was using them as examples of anti-football, not as examples of the Prem as a whole.

That theory very much relies on Neesy having seen La Liga's equivalent in stature to Blackburn and Stoke.

How likely do you think this is, given that the lad barely seems to watch our games?

Winners of Champions League in 21st Century:

2 English Wins.

3 Italian Wins.

1 Portugeuse Win.

1 German Win.

4 Spainish Wins

If the premier league by far the best league in the world so why has it only won 2 out of the last 11 champions leagues ???

No-one is saying the premier league is by far the best league in the world like. Feeble attempt at a strawman.  :blush:

At the end of the day it's a cup competition, and any team that makes it to the final stages could win it depending on a lot of factors on the day. Liverpool won it FFS, and it's been decades since the last time they had a sniff of winning our league. A better indicator would be consistency in getting to the latter stages and strength in depth.

Finalists:

6 English (4 teams)

6 Spanish (3 teams)

5 Italian (3 teams)

3 German (2 teams)

1 French

1 Portuguese

Semi-finalists:

15 English (5 teams)

14 Spanish

7 Italian

4 German

2 French

1 Portuguese

1 Dutch

Quarter-finalists:

26 English

21 Spanish

15 Italian

9 German

6 French

4 Portuguese

3 Dutch

2 Turkish

1 Russian

1 Greek

Spain and England stand out by miles, not much in it.

Not much sight however of teams from the mighty Dutch league Mr Petrovic ???

2 English Wins.

3 Italian Wins.

1 Portugeuse Win.

1 German Win.

4 Spainish Wins

If the premier league by far the best league in the world so why has it only won 2 out of the last 11 champions leagues ???

No-one is saying the premier league is by far the best league in the world like. Feeble attempt at a strawman.  :blush:

At the end of the day it's a cup competition, and any team that makes it to the final stages could win it depending on a lot of factors on the day. Liverpool won it FFS, and it's been decades since the last time they had a sniff of winning our league. A better indicator would be consistency in getting to the latter stages and strength in depth.

Finalists:

6 English (4 teams)

6 Spanish (3 teams)

5 Italian (3 teams)

3 German (2 teams)

1 French

1 Portuguese

Semi-finalists:

15 English (5 teams)

14 Spanish

7 Italian

4 German

2 French

1 Portuguese

1 Dutch

Quarter-finalists:

26 English

21 Spanish

15 Italian

9 German

6 French

4 Portuguese

3 Dutch

2 Turkish

1 Russian

1 Greek

Good work. I think that's the anti-English bias shredded to bits.

2 English Wins.

3 Italian Wins.

1 Portugeuse Win.

1 German Win.

4 Spainish Wins

No-one is saying the premier league is by far the best league in the world like. Feeble attempt at a strawman. :blush:

Finalists:

6 English (4 teams)

6 Spanish (3 teams)

5 Italian (3 teams)

3 German (2 teams)

1 French

1 Portuguese

Semi-finalists:

15 English (5 teams)

14 Spanish

7 Italian

4 German

2 French

1 Portuguese

1 Dutch

Quarter-finalists:

26 English

21 Spanish

15 Italian

9 German

6 French

4 Portuguese

3 Dutch

2 Turkish

1 Russian

1 Greek

No one doubts the cream of the crop in England are above the rest in Europe, but when the entire Premier League comes into play, it is not the best league around for a multitude of reasons that have been touched upon in this thread.

England and Spain's elite are the best, we get that. It's been that way for about the last 30 years. No-one has argued against that with the exception of Neesy, perhaps. The problem with the PL is that all that goodness is more or less centralised around the top 4, with the odd team or two making cameo attempts to break through before going into a financial meltdown. Same with Spain.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

But is that not also to do with how many places are given to each country? Or are they all the same?

All depends on the UEFA Coefficient rating how many spots you get, so, you could argue that an English team has a better chance since more are entered.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

For what its worth I don't think Premier League is the best in the World, not in terms of value for money and entertainment. Far too many teams go into games trying not to lose, rather than to win. Bundesliga is fantastic, has been for a few seasons, simply because everyone goes for it, most teams believe they can win the league, or beat the favourites when they play them. Can't think of any Sam Allardyce style teams that try to negate football for 90mins, rather than play it.

But is that not also to do with how many places are given to each country? Or are they all the same?

All depends on the UEFA Coefficient rating how many spots you get, so, you could argue that an English team has a better chance since more are entered.

But on the flip side, they've earned that through being one of the best performing countries in the co-efficients. If our teams start performing badly, co-efficients go down, drop down the rankings, lose places.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

But on the flip side, they've earned that through being one of the best performing countries in the co-efficients. If our teams start performing badly, co-efficients go down, drop down the rankings, lose places.

Oh yeah, not denying that. Have to be careful that you don't create perpetual motion of some kind though.

More English teams enter, more progress to the later rounds (larger spread), so rating goes up. Those teams get more money, they can continue to progress/buy better players, etc. Champions League and Premier League both suffer from not really having planned for rapid expansion/wealth in the game.

Having never attended a La Liga or Serie A match, I can only judge by what I see/hear on the TV. However, I've also watched Premier League games on the telly on top of being to many, so I can make a comparison of some sorts. And the comparison I would make is that from what I can hear on the telly, the atmopshere just sounds kinda s*** in La Liga/Serie A games compared to what we have in the Premiership/UK. It's a different type of crowd altogether almost. Granted, in Italy there is an issue with many stadiums being extremely poor for matchday fans, but in Spain it often sounds like the entire stadium is filled with tennis spectators (i.e. the type who'll sit down and be silent, then clap and cheer on cue). Contrast that to over here, where fans as a whole seem to view both singing in unison and antagonising the opposition fans as a requirement (it's better with away fans of course).

Apologies if I'm wrong, I'm not denying ignorance on the matter or that audio levels on the TV isn't a great way of trying to judge the atmosphere in foreign countries, or that there aren't exceptions (e.g. "El Classico", dull Premiership games where fans are quiet, etc), and I'm guessing the matchday atmosphere in those other countries is more fun than I'm giving credit for, but it does strongly come across as being at a lower key, so I'm sure I'm not alone in this opinion. Furthermore, many players themselves refer to this difference in atmosphere/crowd noise levels, especially ones coming from abroad (e.g. didn't Figo say St James' was the loudest match he ever played in when Barca come over here?), although admittedly that might just be a cliche some of them (the new imports) are conforming to just to get on the right side of their new supporters.

So this is one major positive factor the Premiership has for me in terms of attractiveness which Serie A/La Liga lacks. If the atmosphere is dull, games become alot less interesting - I probably wouldn't even watch football if all games were playing in empty stadiums for example, as spectating the sport without the crowd and the passion is nearly as dull as watching American baseball sober. Other leagues in other nations do have the vibrant, loud, vociferous, aggressive matchday crowds that the Premier League has (SPL, Bundesliga, Turkey, etc), but in terms of star/world class players, those leagues are all a few steps down from the Premiership (naturally due to money). E.g. take Robben out of Bayern, and there's no real big name left in Germany apart from a few decent/good German internationals or the odd good foreign player (e.g. Lahm, Dzeko, Diego). Whereas over here you have Chelsea, ManU, Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs, etc, all littered with top class players and top internationals from various nations.

This is probably why I enjoy knockout CL games involving British teams so much, especially ones where a top team like Barca, Madrid or Milan come over and spank assholes like ManU or Chelsea off the pitch (jealousy btw). Not only are the fans shitting themselves with the tension of facing someone significantly better on the deck but yet whom they hope/expect to beat because they're just about good enough to pull it off, but they're also singing their hearts out and trying their best to influence the referee in every decision, a combination that leads to an atmosphere where you can actually hear what the collective fans are feeling. When an opposition goal goes in, the silence is deafening. It's class.

have to say that i agree somewhat. german games tend to be better to watch and the atmospherre seems a lot better, same for spanish games. FOr fucks sake man, i've enjoyed the chamionship more this season than i have premier games in which we aren't involved.

Guest ItalianMagpie

Take the three best players out of most sides on Earth and they become rather ordinary.

Barça minus Messi, Xavi and Iniesta

Madrid minus Cronaldo, Higuaín and Alonso

Arsenal minus Cesc, Nasri and Van Persie (well that happens a lot already)

Etc...

Yep but still bettere than the last one in Holland, I guess :D

German games certainly have something about them. When we were in the championship last season I didnt give a fuck about premiership, watched mostly us, spanish and champions league. Can't say I have been to a bundesliga game but on TV the atmosphere generally looks buzzing compared to other european leagues.